Tyre blowouts and hydropneumatic suspension

This is the place for posts that don't fit into any other category.

Moderator: RichardW

f00lzz
My Cars:

Post by f00lzz »

I contemplated purchasing a secondhand DS in 1970 and was taken on a test drive by the local Citroen Dealer.... quite and experience, he drove the car down the local A449 and suddenly swerved onto the grass verge and continued at the same speed, impressive vehicle performance which I certainly wouldn't feel confident in doing in my Xantia. I didn't buy it more's the pity.... I bought a new Triumph Dolomite Sprint instead.... what a nightmare experience!!
Ian
Account Ref: 6419

Current Cars
Nissan X-Trail SVE
Saab 2.2TiD
Merc E270 Estate

Past Citroens
2001 Xantia 3.0 Exclusive
1999 Xantia 1.9TD
1997 Xantia 3.0 Exclusive
1995 XM 3.0 Exclusive Estate
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

i hade a had a flat tyre on the rear end of an ami 8 with 4 adults on board years ago,the only thing that i stoped for was to see what the noise was,when looking one of the rear tyres was completly shreaded,but the car still drove quite straight,and yes they did addvertise the GS driving to the edge of a cliff at 60mph blowing a tyre and still steering safely,dulop disputed this as they where trying to sell there denervo run flat tyres,so they all got to gether with the AA/RAC and citroen prooved they could do this at 80 mph,dunlop whent away with there tails between there legs
regards malcolm
reblack68
My Cars:

Post by reblack68 »

I know somebody who claimed the first indication of a puncture on the front of his SAAB 900 on the motorway was the shreds of rubber flying over the windscreen. I don't know how true the claim was but it certainly backs up the wishbone theory.
Richard

No French cars of my own at present.
Care of a 1994 205 D.
Rob81
My Cars:

Post by Rob81 »

Did somebody mention wanting a rear wheel drive Citroen?? Citroen haven;t made one of those snce they saw the light with the traction avant in 1934!
Citroen C5 2.2 HDi Exclusive Tourer
Peugeot Boxer 2.8 HDi Camper (conversation)

Previously;
Lots of Citroens including 2CVs, Dyane, Acadiane, Bx, Activa, XM CX and Picasso
ChevronMicky
My Cars:

Post by ChevronMicky »

Apologies if you've seen this before. Superb video of a "3 wheeled" GS in action...

http://www3.youtube.com/watch?v=v9Vp-Y6 ... ch=Citroen

It's why I figure a blowout in any hydropneumatic vehicle might be less severe than a normal car.

Not related, but I came across this commercial for the CX-philes here...
http://www3.youtube.com/watch?v=3GKN-yS ... ch=Citroen
2003 C5 2.2 HDi SX
1995 ZX TD Aura Estate
1989 BX 19TRS
1974 Dyane
Kowalski
My Cars: Ex 05 C5 2.0 HDI Exclusive 145k
Ex 97 Xantia 1.9TD SX 144k
Ex 94 Xantia Dimension 1.9TD 199k

Post by Kowalski »

ChevronMicky wrote:Apologies if you've seen this before. Superb video of a "3 wheeled" GS in action...

http://www3.youtube.com/watch?v=v9Vp-Y6 ... ch=Citroen

It's why I figure a blowout in any hydropneumatic vehicle might be less severe than a normal car.
That GS has its suspension at one of the high settings, it says in the handbook for my Xantia that you're not supposed to drive the car like that. Setting the suspension that high turns the suspension rock hard and it means you have no damping or suspension so it isn't safe to drive it like that. Its the fact that the car is very nose heavy that lets you drive the car on three wheels like that...
andmcit
My Cars:

Post by andmcit »

That's right - that's why it's on a billiard table smooth test track. It's the same for all the hydraulic Cits.

The tyre blowout on the cliff edge and between two "juggernought" lorries was at normal running height though.

The front isn't THAT nose heavy on a GS EVEN if the all alloy flat four is completely ahead of the front axle line.

Alas when folk realise that these may actually be worth having there wont be any left...

Andrew
fastandfurryous
My Cars:

Post by fastandfurryous »

Kowalski wrote:it says in the handbook for my Xantia that you're not supposed to drive the car like that. Setting the suspension that high turns the suspension rock hard and it means you have no damping or suspension so it isn't safe to drive it like that.
That's because your Xantia has the design "issue" of the rubber mounting at the top of the McPherson strut. Hit a bump at speed, and you'll have a sphere and strut through the bonnet.

The GS has a significantly more sophisticated system that isn't as vulnerable.
This is not a signature.
andmcit
My Cars:

Post by andmcit »

AndersDK wrote:Andrew -

Any chance of pics on your latest CX finding ?

:D

Andrew

ps - yes it IS a GTi S1 T1 on a B plate... [B150 COM worth more than the car!!]
andmcit
My Cars:

Post by andmcit »

OK, I'll admit it - I did bend the rear mudguard on the trailer... :oops:

I'm REALLY proud of my big trailer reversing too - bloody stupid short posts in the way... tsk tsk

Andrew
sub42
My Cars:

Post by sub42 »

fastandfurryous wrote: It's a front complete blowout that's the danger.
Yep, been there. Mine was in a T4 VW transporter, and I lunched the thing into the central barrier on the M25. Three tonnes of uncontrollable mush when the N/S front went pop!
Previous convictions for ferret and giraffe rustling.

Synergie 1.9td SX loaded spec.