Roof box for ZX?

This is the place for posts that don't fit into any other category.

Moderator: RichardW

James.UK
My Cars:

Roof box for ZX?

Post by James.UK »

Hiya.

Anyone know how those boat shaped fibreglass roof box thingies fit to a ZX roof ?? I could do with one to carry things in when I go on holiday (to Dorset) shortly. :)

I dont fancy tieing it on with string and blue-tac. :oops: Might fall off at 70 mph.. lol :roll: :lol:
James. (Nr M67 East of Manchester).
Dark Blue ZX 1.9D Auto 1994 'L' 5 dr (modified) Aura. 98K miles used daily. Ave mpg 40
Wedgewood Blue 75 CTD auto Connoissaur. 2002. 144k. used daily. ave mpg 40 ish.
mezuk04
My Cars:

Post by mezuk04 »

Just be careful with those as you may benefit from having some support underneath at the middle of the roofbox as apparently they are pretty flimsy as my boss found out....the stuff just went through the bottom, fortuantly someone had put a car roof there at least.
Volkswagen Golf 59' 1.6TD S :(
bxbodger
My Cars:

Post by bxbodger »

You first need a set of roofbars, and then attach the box to the bars using the clamps provided.

Like in this picture in fact-

Thats not me, by the way, i just nabbed it from the Thule site......
James.UK
My Cars:

Post by James.UK »

Hi Mez and BXb.. thanks for your replies :) ..

My problem is - - the ZX doesn't have a roof gutter of any sort, so there is no obvious way to attach any roof bars, or racks to it?

The roof has two (almost flush) long plastic type trims running from front to back, other than that, it is perfectly flat with no protrusions or recesses of any sort.. :roll:

I have had a good look at the trims and they don't appear to have any removable sections that conceal anything, fixing lugs etc etc, so I'm rather stuck at the moment?? :?

Anyone have any info - ideas please? :lol:
Dark Blue ZX 1.9D Auto 1994 'L' 5 dr (modified) Aura. 98K miles used daily. Ave mpg 40
Rob81
My Cars:

Post by Rob81 »

Hi James,

I think the ZX roof is similar to the antia one - those two shallow guters are just the to guide the roof bar "feet". The feet clamp in under the top of the door.

Hope this is reasobably clear - I didn't know how they'd fit my Xantia either but had a good look at one with roof bars on and all became clear!

Rob
Citroen C5 2.2 HDi Exclusive Tourer
Peugeot Boxer 2.8 HDi Camper (conversation)

Previously;
Lots of Citroens including 2CVs, Dyane, Acadiane, Bx, Activa, XM CX and Picasso
bxbodger
My Cars:

Post by bxbodger »

They just clamp on to the roof edge inside the door reveals. Gutterless roofs are now the norm anyway.

On this site you can download fitting instructions for Thule bars- other manufacturers bars work in a similar way.

I was always put off Thule by the high price, but when we got the Kia it was so new nobody else did a kit for it, so I had to get Thule, and now I know why they cost more-they are superbly made, and the rapid fit system is literally that: I can get the bars on and off in seconds. http://www.roofracks.co.uk/main/roofbars_index.htm
James.UK
My Cars:

Post by James.UK »

Hi again. :)

Thanks for all the info, I had a look at the roof bar sites and the roof box stuff and made a decision.. :) I told Jean "either bring a lot less luggage, or come in your own car"! :lol: She is now thinking about it.. :wink:

Had they been cheap I would have bought some, but as they may never get used again, its not worth the cost involved.. :?

Idealy, I would have liked the early (pre 1994) ZX 1.9D auto estate, but 'knats teeth' come to mind huh... lol.. Though I did spend months looking for one prior to buying Jeans original ZX Aura auto, but never found one.. :roll:
Homer
My Cars: Current:
Volvo V60 D4 180

Previous:
BX16RS (two of),
BX19TZI,
Xantia 2.0i saloon,
Xantia 2.0 Exclusive CT turbo Break,
Peugeot 807 2.0 HDi 110,
Renault Grand Scenic, 2.0 diesel (150bhp)
C5 X7 2.0 HDi 160 which put me off French cars possibly forever

Post by Homer »

May be of help to someone else.

www.roofbox.co.uk are very good for bars and boxes, even do a hire service and if you decide to buy they discount the hire charge.