E-bay advice please

This is the place for posts that don't fit into any other category.

Moderator: RichardW

ssray
My Cars:

E-bay advice please

Post by ssray »

As i`m selling my BX estate on e-bay soon it has mot till nov and 5mths tax,i hav noticed that a lot of cars on e-bay are sold with no tax, so am i in a better postion to sell if i leave it taxed or should i sorn it and just leave the mot on it?
Cheers Ray
mpr1956
My Cars:

Post by mpr1956 »

Hi there.. its always easier to sell a car that can be just driven away legally. Just stick a proviso in the description that the value of the remaining tax will be added to the final bid before parting with the car. If you are new to ebay, watch out for the bandits ! best wishes, Martin
I won't do that again
Kowalski
My Cars: Ex 05 C5 2.0 HDI Exclusive 145k
Ex 97 Xantia 1.9TD SX 144k
Ex 94 Xantia Dimension 1.9TD 199k

Re: E-bay advice please

Post by Kowalski »

ssray wrote:As i`m selling my BX estate on e-bay soon it has mot till nov and 5mths tax,i hav noticed that a lot of cars on e-bay are sold with no tax, so am i in a better postion to sell if i leave it taxed or should i sorn it and just leave the mot on it?
Cheers Ray
It'll make more money if its a car that somebody can drive away and use as a car. If somebody has to fix it, MOT it or tax it they won't pay as much. An old car that isn't road legal is little more than scrap value, as soon as its road legal, its worth more.
matt
My Cars:

Post by matt »

Probably best to treat it just like you would any car sale,admag/loot etc cars always sell better with tax n test,never seen a car auction asking for more money for the tax and it may put bidders off it.matt.
92 205 1.9 GTI(MODIFIED,SORRY )
1996 VOLVO 850 2.5 5CYL 10V
1999 EXPERT VAN TD - WHITE !
No more car's thanks!
martyhopkirk

Post by martyhopkirk »

Factor the road tax into the price you want - make it clear in the advert that there is a "minimum" you will take for the car - sans tax, and a desired amount where the tax would be included - offer to negotiate the tax on the final price if it does not hit your minimum.

E.g. I just sold my ZX on eBay - I wanted £500 for the car including the road tax ( 10 months) - The minimum (reserve) was £350. The item description clearly stated if the car hit ts reserve the road tax was negotiable, but the nearer the car came to its BUY IT NOW price of £550 (factoring in ebay fees & some diesel) the cheaper the road tax would be.

It sold for its BIN within 2 hours, was collected that night and +ve feedback left by the buyer.

Make sure your item description is VERY comprehensive, buyers want to know service history, bits replaced, MOT, milage, owners and timing belt issues - I use photobucket and placed about 8 or 9 photos o the item listing (as this is free, unlike ebays own photo service)

Having sold a tax expired car and one with tax, I would say the one with tax shifted quicker!