The most reliable cars!

This is the place for posts that don't fit into any other category.

Moderator: RichardW

Honda
My Cars:

The most reliable cars!

Post by Honda »

This forum is all about reliability and repairing. Since some members are asking advice on which model to buy, and since many live in UK, check this link with relevant statistics obtained in UK about reliability by brand:

>>> Reliability by brand in UK <<<
AndersDK
My Cars:

Post by AndersDK »

No you are wrong Honda -

This forum is decicated to reliability and repairing of Citroen cars (or french cars in general).
Anders (DK) - '90 BX16Image
406 V6
My Cars:

Post by 406 V6 »

I believe he got the forum adress wrong...
This (especially the Cit forum) is all about some crazy lunatics who have escaped from a mental institution (me included):P:P:P
Francisco
C5 2.0HDI smoothly riding on 1.8l version spheres :D
When the hearts beats like a pressure regulator you know it means one thing: Love
Citroën - pacemaking since 1955
bxbodger
My Cars:

Post by bxbodger »

Oh look, Honda are at the top of the list!!!!

I think I'll go and start a thread now about how superior the Triumph straight six engine is to that nasty PSA V6.......... :roll:
Sturdybloke

Post by Sturdybloke »

To be totally honest im not the slightest bit interested that Hondas are more reliable than Citroens. I know not everyone looks at it like that but when my Xant does go wrong I get the chance to have a play around with things. Imagine how boring things would be if Citroens were as realiable as Hondas - no forum for a start.......

And a Xantia is a better car than a Accord - and yes I am biased!

Just my humble opinion :wink: :twisted: .

(The views expressed in this post are my own and do not represent the views of the forum/members of it and or the moderators. Just me)
Kowalski
My Cars: Ex 05 C5 2.0 HDI Exclusive 145k
Ex 97 Xantia 1.9TD SX 144k
Ex 94 Xantia Dimension 1.9TD 199k

Post by Kowalski »

This is the French Car Chat section of a french car forum. The biggest and most active part of this forum is the Citroen owners section.

The reason why people like Citroens is because they're different. Citroen have done things differently for a lot of years, they were the first with front wheel drive, they developed oleopneumatic suspension, the Hydractive and Activa systems. Citroen fitted power disc brakes (not power assisted) and diravi steering to their cars, these are not all features that other manufacturers have fitted. Headlights that steer around corners, these were fitted to the Citroen DS and that is a car from 1955, its only taken the other manufacturers 40 years to catch up with that one. Citroen have always been innovators they fitted electronic fuel injection to the DS in 1970!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Citroen_DS

What has Honda got that makes a Honda different or distinctive? VTEC? Even Citroen has variable valve timing on some of their engines ;)

Face it, even with a 2.4 litre and 190 bhp engine, a nose heavy front wheel drive is never going to be the drivers car that a balanced rear wheel drive car can be! E.g. Honda S2000 ;)
reblack68
My Cars:

Post by reblack68 »

I like my Citroen because it's comfortable, quiet, well-equipped and reliable. New car surveys mean nothing to me, they just tell me how the car I'll be driving in 2016 performs now.
Richard

No French cars of my own at present.
Care of a 1994 205 D.
arry_b

Post by arry_b »

Would you get a forum like this for older Hondas? Don't make me laugh.

Efficient and reliable? Yes.

Worth fixing when they go wrong? Possibly No. The price of non-routine spares is laughable.

An example: Friend's mother has a Civic Shuttle, a year newer and half the mileage of my ZX. Unfortunately it's blown its ABS computer.

A new one? Bargain at £1700.

Not exactly sustainable motoring is it?
Pug 405 1.9D Estate 1995
Ford Mondeo 1.8 Zetec (wife's car) 2000
MZ Skorpion Traveller 660, MZ Trophy Sport, MZ ETZ251, Kawasaki EX-500.
Homer
My Cars: Current:
Volvo V60 D4 180

Previous:
BX16RS (two of),
BX19TZI,
Xantia 2.0i saloon,
Xantia 2.0 Exclusive CT turbo Break,
Peugeot 807 2.0 HDi 110,
Renault Grand Scenic, 2.0 diesel (150bhp)
C5 X7 2.0 HDi 160 which put me off French cars possibly forever

Post by Homer »

This thread has about as much relevance to this forum as one on washing machines or microwave ovens would have.

You don't buy a French car for the reliablility.
James.UK
My Cars:

Post by James.UK »

My Citroen ZX IS the most reliable car I have ever had. :D :D :D
James. (Nr M67 East of Manchester).
Dark Blue ZX 1.9D Auto 1994 'L' 5 dr (modified) Aura. 98K miles used daily. Ave mpg 40
Wedgewood Blue 75 CTD auto Connoissaur. 2002. 144k. used daily. ave mpg 40 ish.
Kowalski
My Cars: Ex 05 C5 2.0 HDI Exclusive 145k
Ex 97 Xantia 1.9TD SX 144k
Ex 94 Xantia Dimension 1.9TD 199k

Post by Kowalski »

Homer wrote:You don't buy a French car for the reliablility.
I did, after I'd had one reliable Xantia, I bought a second one.

The fact that it was a lot of car for the money may have been a factor too ;)
deian

Post by deian »

japanise cars are renowned to be expensive to buy spare parts for, and i think on the whole a bit more expensive to insure because of the pricey parts need to fix if you crash, i agree with many on this forum, yes they are reliable, and run like a swiss watch, and can be fast yes (as well as a peugeot 306 rallye), but we bought our cars because they are cool cars with cool features that work. Otherwise why would Rolls Royce want to the Hydractive suspension on their cars too?

We like Citroen because we like to mess about with them and open our minds, to some they it's a hobby. And who says they aren't reliable, looked after any car is reliable, of course there are a few bad eggs about, but many citroens have done mega miles, mine is R reg, and has done 186k and drives as if it was brand new (no joking)!! I will have fun fixing it when it breaks down, and fun maintaing it and learning the new peculiarities compared to a ford or a nissan (boring boring cars)!

Thanks
Ciaran
My Cars:

Post by Ciaran »

Honda, as others have already stated, this is a forum for French / Citroen enthusiasts. If you've come here to preach to us about our car's ratings in the reliability / Joe Public popularity stakes, I'm afraid this is nothing new.

Everyone knows Japanese cars are more reliable than most other makes. Everyone knows Citroens are perceived as unreliable, 'complicated' and 'weird'.... we know, we own them.
Personally, I don't give a damn what Joe Public, some JD Power Survey, or that cocky idiot Clarkson says about my cars. It's me who owns and drives them, and if people want to think they're strange and complex and not worth it, that suits me fine because it makes prices plummet even further.... great news for us enthusiasts.
Old Citroens are owned by people who have an interest in them. They are not viable as an 'anything will do' A-B car... because the kind of person who buys a car for that reason will ditch them at the first sign of 'trouble' (read routine maintenance, but as the cars French, it MUST be something BAD / COMPLICATED / EXPENSIVE).

The point is, Hondas are great cars, yes, no ones debating that, and I do like quite a few of them. I also own a Ford Mondeo, and I think that's great too....
But if you're trying to get drivers of those nasty French cars to see the error of their ways and buy something Japanese, I think you've come to the wrong forum :)
Stuart McB
My Cars:

Post by Stuart McB »

Apart form a CV boot on the wifes 2001 Reno Megane's MOT it's been as good as gold. Saying that the 9 year old mazda passed its' MOT with out even an advisory note. The tester said it was good car and worth keeping. :D

Happy in both worlds then.
The wifes got a C4 I've got a ZX TD SX!!!!
deian

Post by deian »

I wonder why honda is even here?