BX vs. Xantia

This is the place for posts that don't fit into any other category.

Moderator: RichardW

BX or Xantia??

Xantia
60%
BX
40%

Total votes: 25

deian

BX vs. Xantia

Post by deian »

Which is best, I know some of you will be biased about your own cars, and of course the Xantia is the heavier more modern replacement for the BX, but which do you prefer? I've got a mk2 xantia, i've been in a BX ages ago and found it quite good. But I love the Xantia, and it's gotta be the best car i've ever driven ever. Both are different. Both do the jobs well. But which one wins?
andmcit
My Cars:

Post by andmcit »

Unfortunately, I can't really vote here, as I've never had ANYTHING to do with a BX. Even though I'm a confirmed Cit addict, Bx's just kind of passed me by, over the years of driving Gs/GSA/CX's and progressing through Xm's to Xantiae...

I HAVE tried a couple out just to see what I've been missing mind, one being the rather quick 16v, but couldn't help feeling totally vulnerable in the "plastic fantastic" and I've always liked BIG cars anyhow, hence a Cx TRI Familiale I still use as a daily runner.

It hasn't helped that I've never liked the Bx's appearance as much as the more rounded GS/A's, and with the need for a company vehicle I discovered the 'charms' of the Xantia fitted the bill and I've had one around in the running collection ever since. I'll never forget the day I drove the Xantia TD 1.9 from the showroom and was totally chuffed the true supple Citroen wallowy ride was back comparable to my G's that I was driving at the time. The boggo Dimension model made quite an impression on me.

I'll happily accept that the 'soul' of the Xantia is more diluted than the Bx's though. It stands to reason the newer the car these days the less endearing foibles and character will be found - their being designed and sanitised out rather than the product of ONE man's vision...

As a competent sturdy steed in the general melee of everyday driving the Xantia simply delivers the goods without murmur and never asks for owt, and this gives me the time to spanner 'round with the Cx's and Gs's where my real allegiance lies...

Cx better than an Xm? Undoubtedly!

Xm better than a Xantia - Yes, OK why not!

Xantia better than a Bx? I prefer the heavier more solid design approach of the Xantia. Let's just say I'd rather be in one of these more than a Bx when THAT girl putting her eye makeup on doesn't just catch a camera...

Anything better than a CX then? Well if you're offering me a Ds, I'll try it and get back sometime to let you know just as soon as I find out.

And an Sm?

Sometimes I lie awake at night pondering whether to hock myself up to the nines or not...

But then I realise I've already got a car every bit as good in my Cx GTi turbo S1, and that has the whole practicality thing licked!! :wink:

Personally, I think one of each <<and every!!>> Cit is the way to go!!

Andrew
Last edited by andmcit on 16 Mar 2006, 23:49, edited 1 time in total.
bxbodger
My Cars:

Post by bxbodger »

I'll keep the BX going as long as possible- it stands out with its now distinctively weird 80's techno looks in a modern jellymould car park, the Xantia just looks so boring!!! If it wasn't for the badge it could be a Mitsubishi Carisma :roll:
Peter.N.
Moderating Team
My Cars: Currently:

C5 X7 VTR + Satnav Hdi estate Silver
C5 X7 VTR + Hdi Estate 2008 Red

In the past: 3, CX td Safaris and about 7, XM td estates. Lovely cars.

Post by Peter.N. »

Having owned three CX Safari's, four XMs and three BXs,all diesel, but sadly not an SM or a Xantia, I can only comment on those I have driven.

Between the BX and the Xantia, its a matter of what you want. The BX td was the hot hatch of its time, with quite astonishing performance for the period. That was largly because it seem to be constructed from tinfoil and plastic and consequently had a fantastic power to weight ratio. The last one we had was a TZD estate, which we passed on to my son. He also has a 2.8 injection Capri, but was quite happy to drive the BX until someone ran into the back of it when parked, and wrote it off, a few weeks ago.

The Xantia, on the other hand, is much better put together and has an altogether more solid feeling, but at the expense of fuel consumption and performance.

The CX was a superb car in most respects. The suspension and steering were better than any of the present day mass produced cars. Once you got used to driving it, which could take an hour or so, you wouldn't want to drive anything else. It handled like a 16' mini! It wasn't just the suspension design though, it was the first really refined diesel and when the Turbo 2 came out in '87 it must have been the fastest diesel on the road with 0 - 60 time of around 10 secs, many modern diesels are not much faster. The only real problems with it , apart from rust, were a useless heater and, if you were unfortunate to get one with a pourous block, as I did, having to replace the head gasket about every 15k miles. As I covered something like 160k miles in my last one, that was a fair few gaskets.

The XM has better creature comforts and is very well put together, apart from the electrics, and is in my opinion the best car around at present for a combination of ride quality, general comfort, economy (diesel), durability and sheer space, but it doesn't handle like the CX, inferior (cheaper) suspension and steering design.

We replaced my wifes BX TZD with a ZX td. the comparison is similar to that of the BX/Xantia. It feels much more solid than the BX, more like the XM but although it has the 1.9 engine it doesn't feel as lively as the BX with the 1.7.

I thought that the BX was more fun to drive (at nearly 67).
Homer
My Cars: Current:
Volvo V60 D4 180

Previous:
BX16RS (two of),
BX19TZI,
Xantia 2.0i saloon,
Xantia 2.0 Exclusive CT turbo Break,
Peugeot 807 2.0 HDi 110,
Renault Grand Scenic, 2.0 diesel (150bhp)
C5 X7 2.0 HDi 160 which put me off French cars possibly forever

Post by Homer »

I can't believe this vote is going for the Xantia.

I would take a BX (a TZD or GTi, with ABS) over any Xantia.

The only advantage the Xantia has is it's crash resistance.

I should add, I owned 4 BXs (three 16RS and a 19TZi), and two Xantias (a mk1 2.0i SX saloon and a mk2 TurboCT Exclusive estate). The estate was a fabulous car but if the BX TZi had ABS I would have probably kept it, switching between the ABS equipped Xantia and the non ABS BX was going to kill me.
Stewart(oily)
My Cars: Citroens since 1990, BX Diesel, GTI, TZD with 1.9 TD running extra boost before it was fashionable!, ZX Volcane TD, S2 Xantia break 1.9TD, Xantia HDI 110, currently zipping about in a C2 Diesel. C2 died from the dreaded worm, C3 Picasso HDI Exclusive, the adventure continues.

Post by Stewart(oily) »

I drive a TZD, late model with ABS and think its the Ds Bs I also look after a few Xantias for family members, the Xant is more robust and solid with better soundproofing etc and improved crash resistance but on the road I prefer my sorted BX, even if it is made out of pointed air :)
Stewart
BXs since 1993 built 1.9 TZD turbo, got a S2 Xantia estate, brilliant car! 2013, Xantia HDI LX 110 2000 new car with 122,000, l C2 HDI Rusty rocket, C3 Picasso HDI new to me.
nickmurphy

xantia v bx

Post by nickmurphy »

well i've had a few of each but i've got a xantia now 'cos my wife reckons bx's are dead sad, i think a well sorted bx is a better car than a xantia but driving a bx nowadays is like wearing platform shoes, you'll get respect of other people in platforms but the majority of people will think you're sad! :D
Stewart(oily)
My Cars: Citroens since 1990, BX Diesel, GTI, TZD with 1.9 TD running extra boost before it was fashionable!, ZX Volcane TD, S2 Xantia break 1.9TD, Xantia HDI 110, currently zipping about in a C2 Diesel. C2 died from the dreaded worm, C3 Picasso HDI Exclusive, the adventure continues.

Post by Stewart(oily) »

just popping to the supermarket, wheres my platforms/kipper tie :D
Stewart
BXs since 1993 built 1.9 TZD turbo, got a S2 Xantia estate, brilliant car! 2013, Xantia HDI LX 110 2000 new car with 122,000, l C2 HDI Rusty rocket, C3 Picasso HDI new to me.
reblack68
My Cars:

Post by reblack68 »

I've never driven a BX. My mate has had four of them but none lasted long enough for me to have a shot. I seem to remember the headroom being poor, even by the standards of 1980s cars. I have a Xantia now and I think it's the best car I've ever owned.

I'm abstaining from the vote because I don't have enough BX experience to judge properly.
Richard

No French cars of my own at present.
Care of a 1994 205 D.
bxbodger
My Cars:

Post by bxbodger »

The headroom's fine- its the legroom thats a bit restricted!!
jeremy
My Cars:

Post by jeremy »

Personally I've never seen why I should be bothered by what other people think of what I drive. I've worked and dealt with loads of people who tell me I ought to do this or that - and then 6 months later come and ask me what I think has gone wrong with their car!

I drive a car because I like it - if I don't then sometime it'll go - otherwise it stays.
jeremy
andmcit
My Cars:

Post by andmcit »

Quite!

If EVERYONE EVERYWHERE ran around in nothing but Bugatti Veyron's, those who prefer something different would lust after a humble C2 if that was a rarity...

By posing a 'what if' question though, the diverse viewpoints from all perspectives provide an interesting aside to the usual 'why wont my car do this' etc qustions in the main forum; that's why this has actually been moved to the Chat section for this very reason!! :D

It's not a competition! You could vote 15 times for a BX if you like...

Andrew
deian

Post by deian »

wasn't it always in the chat section? or maybe i DID put it in the Citroen sections becuase bx and xantia are citroen, anyway, chat it is! 8)
bxbodger
My Cars:

Post by bxbodger »

If EVERYONE EVERYWHERE ran around in nothing but Bugatti Veyron's, those who prefer something different would lust after a humble C2 if that was a rarity...
Trust me, they wouldn't...... :wink:
andmcit
My Cars:

Post by andmcit »

bxbodger wrote:
Trust me, they wouldn't...... :wink:
Yeah, fair point!! :lol: :lol: Can I have mine in red please...

But it illustrates my point - if EVERYONE'S car is a supercar, NOBODY'S is...

so

a bit of variety never hurt anybody!! Diverse opinions is what this whole thing is about!

Andrew