Cylinder Head Locating Tool Set for R16 1150 series

This is the place for posts that don't fit into any other category.

Moderator: RichardW

sveris
My Cars:

Cylinder Head Locating Tool Set for R16 1150 series

Post by sveris »

Everybody,

I'm a new memeber as of this afternoon, and am active on the Yahoo Groups for lotuseuropa and renault16. Another memeber of both groups suggested that I post this information on Froggy Forum, and a member there suggested this forum.

I have a set of Renault Head Locating Tools for the R16 1150 engine series, that I purchased in the late '70s. There was a thread on the Lotus Europa Yahoo Group about these tools, recently, and the importance of accurately locating the cylinder head on the block.

As a favor to other Europa owners in our group, I initially offered to loan out the tools, but started thinking about them being lost in transit.

So, I did some preliminary investigative work, and concluded that I may be able to supply inexpensive sets of these tools for any/all interested parties. I met with an old, retired pattern maker, last week, and he ruled out casting the T-shaped locating gauge out of aluminum - based on cost. However, he thought that a composite material would work just fine.

So, we made a temporary mold of it out of Bondo, and managed to produce a suitable prototype. The locating dowels are another matter, but I've got that covered. As many of you know, they are in between a 10 mm and a 12 mm in size, and not readily available. At least, not in the USA.

Depending on how the molding goes, these reproduction tool sets could/should end up being a bargain. Again, volume is a determining factor, and of course, production time. With a CAD drawing of the part, it could be machined out of aluminum, rather than die cast like the original. But, it might still be relatively expensive. I plan to make them out of one of the professional casting resins that can be machined, drilled, threaded, etc. The locating dowels, though, will be metal.

How I proceed will depend on whether or not there is any/enough interest. I have no real idea on a final price, as yet. But, if they came in between $25.00 and $50.00 a set, would any one want them? Shipping via Global Priority Mail would only be around $5.00, since the set will be well under the 4 lb. weight limit.

This effort originated as a service to the members of our lotuseuropa Yahoo Group, so I thought I would share it with Renault owners. The post is not intended as an outright solicitation for business - which I understand would be frowned upon by Forum members.

Considering the Yahoo situation with duplicate emails, replies off forum would be appreciated.

Regards,

Steve Veris
1970 S2 Europas, R16s long since abandoned
My Cars:

Post by mezuk04 »

Unsure if this is a dodgy thread like one we had a few few weeks ago although the user id you mention at the start sounds familliar and im sure its of the thread which was locked.

Can the moderators look at this thread and see if its acceptable

Cheers!

Just trying to provide security for you lot, although im not big or very muscely (sp?) but i can run in the opposite direction very quick indeed :lol:
Volkswagen Golf 59' 1.6TD S :(
alan s
RIP 2010
My Cars:

Post by alan s »

I was the one who suggested he try on here to try to get in touch with Renault owners.
He posted in Oz on the aussiefrogs forum and as far as we're concerned, all seems Kosher.
We, like most forums, seem to be a bit thin on the ground with Renault owners that's why the suggestion was made.

Alan S
RIP Sept 19th 2008.

She said "Put the cat out" She didn't mention it was on fire!!
mezuk04
My Cars:

Post by mezuk04 »

Fairy snuff, hopefully no offence was caused...its because of the biceps you see, thanks for confirming
Volkswagen Golf 59' 1.6TD S :(
sveris
My Cars:

Security

Post by sveris »

None taken - offense, that is. Better to have someone reviewing the threads than not. You can check with Geert in Holland, or anyone on the lotuseuropa group at Yahoo.

For the average owner, the tool set may not be all that useful. After all, cylinder head R & R is not a terribly common practice. But, given the consequences to the distributor drive gear and the head itself, I've found it one tool I would not be without.

Regards,

Steve
sveris
sveris
My Cars:

Update - Special Head Locating Tools

Post by sveris »

Here is the latest information concerning the tools set.

The two (2) locating dowels will now be made of 416 stainless steel. That way, nobody will have to be concerned about corrosion.

The U-gauge will be a cast out of urethane resin. The prototype was drop tested on concrete about 10 times, and it held up just fine. [I actually dropped it from engine deck height several times, and also tossed it up to about eye level twice.] A picture of the Renault OEM U-gauge and the urethane prototype - shown side by side - is posted on the Froggy Forum, since I don't know how to do it here.

The reproduction tools will look like the ones pictured in the various Shop Manuals.

FWIW, the Renault OEM locating dowels tool set for later model US Europas is slightly different than the ones for earlier US cars and the rest of the world. Two (2) dowels and two (2) T-handles were supplied, along with a plasticene card showing their in-use positioning during the head locating procedure. These dowels use reverse threads tapped into holes in their opposite ends - to accomplish removal after head positioning. They also have spring-loaded detent balls.

I've elected to reproduce the European/ROW style dowel - with a milled screwdriver slot at the end - since the late model US style would be much costlier. I've always used two (2) dowels, per my Europa Shop Manual [and the illustration on the card], even though illustration in other manuals show only one dowel being used. Two (2) dowels will be supplied with each set of reproduction tools.

The tool sets will also come with copies of both plasticene cards: one for the locating dowels and another one for the U-gauge - both illustrating the tools in use. The delivered price in North America will be $80.00 - perhaps a bit higher for Europe, Australia, etc. They don't weigh very much, so not too much more.

Please let me know if anyone else is interested, since there will be only one screw machine run for the dowels. The U-gauges will be made, one at a time, using a single cavity mold. Also, if anybody needs a set, soon, to reinstall a head - drop me an email. The prototype U-gauge, one of the OEM dowels, and one of the T-handles are being used by one of the Europa Yahoo Group members this weekend.

Regards,

Steve
sveris