Ford Focus 1.6TDCi Zetec

This is the place for posts that don't fit into any other category.

Moderator: RichardW

mezuk04
My Cars:

Ford Focus 1.6TDCi Zetec

Post by mezuk04 »

Well picked it up from my home office yesterday. (Its not a Citroen though).

The colour is a brilliant lovely lightish blue, really really nice. (Its not a Citroen though).

The styling and body on the outside is really quite sexy hehehe, really nice again. (BUT Its not a Citroen).....

...Shame you have to get in to drive.

First time getting in driving, it feels so compact and a bit to 'snug' and just the seats and the huge head rest just seem a bit odd. (Its defo not a Citroen).

Driving this morning i started to appreciate the odd little thing, like, the wash/wipe sequence...it does it then waits about 3 secs after the last wipe and wipes again just to remove any dribbles :) ....if i touch the indicator (without fully engaging the indicator) it still flashes 3 times which i also kinda quite like :lol:

It doesnt come with aircon which confused me as the LX is supposed to have it and im sure the Zetec therefore should have it, maybe the hire company opted out of this option with it being a test type car.
Volkswagen Golf 59' 1.6TD S :(
Stuart McB
My Cars:

Post by Stuart McB »

Ford Focus. Wife had one, Zetec 3 door. Bullet proof but what terrible back ache after 20 mins. Didn't like it. Sold it now have a Renault soft top and a MAzda 323F. Loads better.
The wifes got a C4 I've got a ZX TD SX!!!!
mezuk04
My Cars:

Post by mezuk04 »

:shock:
PowerLee
My Cars: Current - Slightly modified 2016 Pug 308 Puretech 130 Allure
Past:
2003 - 206 GLX TU3JP & 206 SE ET3JP4
1995 - 405 Executive XU10J2
1996 - 406 GLX XU10J4R
1994 - 405 GTX XU10J2

Post by PowerLee »

Hi

The 1.6 TDci is a Ford engine that had more then a helping hand from PSA Peugeot / Citroen :wink:

Zetec spec DOESNT come with standard aircon, You need a Zetec Climate to get A/C :wink:

From the description you give about this Focus I gather its the new shape one.

Zetecs do come with sportier suspension & black trim bits inside the headlamps for some reason? ? ?

The Focus also has a lot of warning lights on the dash, It even puts Peugeot / Citroen to shame for the amount of warning lights! lol

Ive driven one, They handle well & have amazingly good brakes, Even though Ford DONT fit EBA as standard ( tight gits! )
p20

Post by p20 »

They have the 1.6tdci hatch and 2.0tdci estate at work for rapid response ambulance cars. They previously had the older shape 1.8tdi estates. The new ones are much quicker. The 1.6 has been over 130mph(on blues) with a full boot!! The 2.0 is now becoming legendary :twisted:

They are also a very nice place to be in. I quite fancy the estate for a few years time.
307SW HDi 110
Kowalski
My Cars: Ex 05 C5 2.0 HDI Exclusive 145k
Ex 97 Xantia 1.9TD SX 144k
Ex 94 Xantia Dimension 1.9TD 199k

Post by Kowalski »

PowerLee wrote:Hi
The 1.6 TDci is a Ford engine that had more then a helping hand from PSA Peugeot / Citroen :wink:
Correct me if I'm wrong...

I thought that the 1.6 TDCi was a scaled up version of the PSA 1.4 HDI, made in France for Ford by PSA. In fact is it not the same engine as the 110 BHP 1.6 HDI that Citroen / Peugoet get, with different badges of course.
mezuk04
My Cars:

Post by mezuk04 »

Ok, so I'm getting use to her...dropping her back off Monday evening and then will bring my poor wee one back, and then Tuesday evening pick up the estate version!

Cant see me choosing the estate after the weeks test drive since the boot in the 5dr is pretty big and the gf also likes the size of the 5dr. The colour is fantastic.

fastandfurryous
My Cars:

Post by fastandfurryous »

PowerLee wrote:Even though Ford DONT fit EBA as standard ( tight gits! )
Am I the only person who thinks this is a GOOD idea?

I don't like EBA. Or ESP, or even ABS...

All these things do is make road accidents MORE severe.

I would much rather have control of the car, rather than a piece of electronics, which can go wrong.
This is not a signature.
bxbodger
My Cars:

Post by bxbodger »

I think they do make things safer, as long as people know what they are for......

EBA can make the difference between hitting and not hitting the kid who runs out into the road, but for most of the time I don't think people are aware of their existence unless they take an interest.

The Kia is fully loaded with all this stuff and the wife, who mainly drives it, had no idea what it all does-she like many others,sees ABS mentioned in the handbook and thinks that it makes you stop quicker: I had to explain its actually to help keep control of the steering under full braking- I don't think she even knows its got EBA.

The only concession to safety on the Triumph is a seat belt and thats it!! It has discs on the front, but no servo and braking is hard work,and the engine is far too fast for the chassis-mine's a Mk1 with the non rotoflex axle-all of which makes it fun and I don't drive it any differently to the more modern cars, I'm just a bit more conscious that its going to hurt more if I do hit anything!!!
Kowalski

Post by Kowalski »

bxbodger wrote:I think they do make things safer, as long as people know what they are for......

EBA can make the difference between hitting and not hitting the kid who runs out into the road, but for most of the time I don't think people are aware of their existence unless they take an interest.

The Kia is fully loaded with all this stuff and the wife, who mainly drives it, had no idea what it all does-she like many others,sees ABS mentioned in the handbook and thinks that it makes you stop quicker: I had to explain its actually to help keep control of the steering under full braking- I don't think she even knows its got EBA.
One of the nice things about EBA is that it flashes the hazard lights, when you stop suddenly. When I'm on the dual carriageway and the traffic stops suddenly, I often find myself watching traffic behind that hasn't noticed, its those sorts ot times you like these nice features.

ABS and EBD do make a difference to stopping distances) ABS was banned from Formula 1 for that very reason) but it is a low percentages improvement. They are of biggest advantage to a driver who doesn't know what to do with the brake pedal apart from step on it hard in an emergency.

Personally, I don't like the complexity and potential for bits to go wrong. I like what ABS does, my car has it and I wouldnt go back to a non-ABS car, I would like a button to turn the damn thing off in the snow though ;)
mezuk04
My Cars:

Post by mezuk04 »

Well picking up the estate version up tomorrow for a week and ive decided im also gonna test drive a fiesta 1.4TD Zetec Climate 3door.

Well it gonna cost me about £90 a month (company car tax) to drive the fessa compared to just short of £200 a month (company car tax & upgrade fee) but im looking at moving out and a £100 a month could be put to better use...unfortuantly :cry:

I canny believe im even considering having a fessa and a 3door at that....if theres one thing i hate more than Ford's its 3doors. :roll:
fastandfurryous
My Cars:

Post by fastandfurryous »

Kowalski wrote:They are of biggest advantage to a driver who doesn't know what to do with the brake pedal apart from step on it hard in an emergency.
These people really should learn to drive then.

What irks me is that people seem to assume that they should be able to drive regardless of their ability or skill. Driving is a skill, and even by the laws of averages, some people will not have that skill, and hence should not drive.

All "safety" features like this do is to make the eventual crashes more severe.
This is not a signature.
pugxpert

Post by pugxpert »

same engine as in 206 gti dt and 307/407 dv6ted4 110 bhp.80%psa 20%ford.good eh!!! v6 is 80%ford 20%psa maybe not so good built at dagenham.
EP6T petrol turbo nice engine in the 207 GT and the new mini....
Kowalski

Post by Kowalski »

pugxpert wrote:same engine as in 206 gti dt and 307/407 dv6ted4 110 bhp.80%psa 20%ford.good eh!!! v6 is 80%ford 20%psa maybe not so good built at dagenham.
I'm not so sure about the V6 being 80% Ford. Ford didn't have the expertise to make the 2.0 TDCI engines, they got PSA in to re-engineer the TDDI into the TDCI. I suspect that Fords involvement may be little more than putting their name badge on and agreeing to buy x thousand engines over the next y years, or in the case of the V6 they're providing the factory where the engine is actually made. On the other had, they need the V6 diesel more than PSA does, for the Land Rover/Range Rover and big Jaguar cars.

Aside from the V6, none of the engines which Ford took the technical lead on are used in PSA cars, i.e. the 1.8 TDCI (DLD) and 2.0 TDCI (ZSD) aren't used in PSA cars. The next generation 2.2 HDI is based on the old 2.2 HDI that was in the C5 and the 406, Ford will be using it rather than.

I think that if Ford had the money to engineer their own engines they wouldn't have involved PSA at all, I don't think PSA would need technical or financial help to build the engines. Ultimately we're unlikely to find out what the actual situation is, i.e. who engineered what, who owns the rights to what, who payed for it and what the contracts say.
pugxpert

Post by pugxpert »

the 1.4 hdi and 1.6 hdi DV engine range are used in fords. also the new revamp dw10abted4 which is used in 407 is also in others marques,sore it in a volvo the other day.since 1999 psa have been sharing development costs with ford.as like psa are sharing costs with bmw for a new range of petrol engines which will go in the 207,development for the v6 diesel engine was carried out at jaguar.
EP6T petrol turbo nice engine in the 207 GT and the new mini....