Crushing a 307 (blokes a bit peed with it)

This is the place for posts that don't fit into any other category.

Moderator: RichardW

simonelsey
My Cars:

Crushing a 307 (blokes a bit peed with it)

Post by simonelsey »

Just found this link for crushing a 307 .

I think hes a bit peed of with the car.

http://www.crushmy307.co.uk/

worth a look
2.0 hdi xsara estate been a pain but starting to look like a good buy
bxbodger
My Cars:

Post by bxbodger »

Assuming its all true, and we only have his side of the story, but why do big firms behave like this??

12 years ago, I bought my first camcorder- a great big heavy Samsung. It had one years warranty, and broke after two years. I wrote to them anyway, as camcorders were an expensive item then, explained that although it was way out of warranty I didn't expect it to fail so quickly.

They seemed concerned, said that they would look at it, and as long as it was a genuine manufacturing fault and not something I did, then they would consider fixing it.

They sent a courier for it, confirmed that the power supply board was faulty, fixed it, and couriered it back.

The upshot is, when the time came for an upgrade, I bought another Samsung.........and another........recomended them to friends/family for their service, etc..........

Having read that Pug tale, though, I wouldn't even put one on the shortlist were I considering a new purchase!!!

The attitude of manufacturers and their dealers has a lot to do with new car purchase- I would bet that now all this blokes relatives, friends, work colleagues, etc, would not consider a Pug either.

You don't often see C2 Pluriels- I wonder if its anything to do with all those poor sods who were on watchdog!!!
PowerLee
My Cars: Current - Slightly modified 2016 Pug 308 Puretech 130 Allure
Past:
2003 - 206 GLX TU3JP & 206 SE ET3JP4
1995 - 405 Executive XU10J2
1996 - 406 GLX XU10J4R
1994 - 405 GTX XU10J2

Post by PowerLee »

If you want to know how bad the 307 really is just ask the technicians down the local Pug dealer :wink:

The only reason they do like them is every re-call they do bumps the monthly bonus up :P
simonelsey
My Cars:

Post by simonelsey »

Yep I now . I went into local citroen dealer today , to get some hoses , sorry mate we dont stock them , we can get them in for you in next few days , How much for I enquire . £14.40 + vat , I said no thanks I get them off the internet for £8.00 + vat with £3.00 delivery , I need them tomorrow . Bu the parts person said , The pipe dont fail that often so not a stock item .I said yes but I dont want them to fail on the road and leave me strandad at which point he just through a pen on his desk and walked off .
Im a printer /computer engineer , and I much rather take previtive measures then allow the worst.

Terrible services provided by main delaer , Just intrested in the sale of new cars
2.0 hdi xsara estate been a pain but starting to look like a good buy
Kowalski
My Cars: Ex 05 C5 2.0 HDI Exclusive 145k
Ex 97 Xantia 1.9TD SX 144k
Ex 94 Xantia Dimension 1.9TD 199k

Post by Kowalski »

PowerLee wrote:If you want to know how bad the 307 really is just ask the technicians down the local Pug dealer :wink:

The only reason they do like them is every re-call they do bumps the monthly bonus up :P
One of my workmates has a 307. It was recalled for some new software and now its check engine light comes on claiming too much oil in the sump. The dipstick shows the oil level is fine, its been back to the dealers for more software updates but still it claims too much oil. The dealer is now sourcing a new oil level sensor but doesn't seem too happy about fitting it, it looks like the dealer has messed something up somewhere and doesn't want to fix it now that Peugeot isn't paying for the job...
PowerLee
My Cars: Current - Slightly modified 2016 Pug 308 Puretech 130 Allure
Past:
2003 - 206 GLX TU3JP & 206 SE ET3JP4
1995 - 405 Executive XU10J2
1996 - 406 GLX XU10J4R
1994 - 405 GTX XU10J2

Post by PowerLee »

The reason they aint happy fitting that oil level sensor is its a book time of 4 hours to do it :lol:
paranoid
My Cars:

Post by paranoid »

PowerLee wrote:The reason they aint happy fitting that oil level sensor is its a book time of 4 hours to do it :lol:
Had a look at workmates 307 and trust me, you really don't want to get involved in that job it looks a nightmare
75 connes SE Cdti (nice, no really nice)
98 Xantia sensation
94'000ImageImage
ACTIVE8
My Cars:

How Long !!

Post by ACTIVE8 »

PowerLee wrote:The reason they aint happy fitting that oil level sensor is its a book time of 4 hours to do it :lol:
Amazing that it's been engineered in such a way, as to make it so difficult to do, and such a long job !

On another make of vehicle I have seen the oil level sensor built into the sump near to the sump plug. It was easy to access and replace.

To replace wouldn't take too long, even accounting for putting the diagnostic machine on it, a small job.

Also this oil level sensor was part of the system on the vehicle that measures oil quality, and would help the vehicle to report when a service is due.

Peugeots time of 4 hours to do the job, is excessive to say the least. :shock:
Kowalski

Post by Kowalski »

It'll be engineered to be cheap to assemble.

The glow plugs are really easy to put into a bare engine block (XUD) but once you cover the thing with pipes and add the injector pump they become a bit inaccessable.

What makes the 307 sensor difficult to get at? Is it inside the sump or just down the back of the block?
ACTIVE8
My Cars:

Post by ACTIVE8 »

Kowalski wrote:It'll be engineered to be cheap to assemble.

The glow plugs are really easy to put into a bare engine block (XUD) but once you cover the thing with pipes and add the injector pump they become a bit inaccessable.

What makes the 307 sensor difficult to get at? Is it inside the sump or just down the back of the block?
Yes, I agree that it's engineered to be cheap to assemble.

The thing is though they primarly design it that way, but they shouldn't be so short sited, and selfish even though it's a question of economics. This is because although they only assemble it ONCE, and as you say with components that subsequently get installed not being in the way makes the whole thing a lot easier.

It's the people that have to work on it afterwards that suffer with poor access. They also have to strip, repair and rebuild these components MANY times.

Although if the designers/engineers were to strip, and rebuild their designs then they might, and this applies to any manufacturer make it easier to repair. After all if it's cheaper to repair for the customer, then it's a selling point that a customer should consider, unless they won't keep the car any longer than the warranty period.

Which means in that case the manufacturer is actually saving a cost in manufacturing the product, but then wasting that saving with designs that in situ could have been given more thought, so as to ensure cheaper warranty claims.

Not sure about why the sensor should take so long on the 307. Maybe Powerlee can provide us with more information on that.
pugxpert

Post by pugxpert »

you have to take exhaust manifold off to get sensor out,it is very long and screws in on back of block, you can pull it up so far but then it hits manifold so it has to be released to get it out.turbo pipes off as well
EP6T petrol turbo nice engine in the 207 GT and the new mini....
pugxpert

Post by pugxpert »

has this crush my 307 bloke actually gone and done it yet?? or is it just a load of crap he is talking?? if not he may want to contact his dealer,car may be due a recall...
Kowalski

Post by Kowalski »

My colleague with the dodgy oil level lights on his 307 has finally been sorted out.

The oil sensor was absolutely fine, they got the same fault after they replaced it. So, the Peugeot dealer put the car on the diagnostics machine again and after much head scratching and technical advice from Peugeot, they decided that something must have gone wrong with the software download. The upshot was that it has now been given some new ECUs and a new instrument cluster.

Thats right, more than one ECU was replaced, we've got this sort of fun to look forwards to when our Citroens go multiplexed wiring. Post facelift Xsaras, C6s, C5s, C4s, C3s, C2s, C1s aren't they all going to be multiplexed?
reblack68
My Cars:

Post by reblack68 »

pugxpert wrote:has this crush my 307 bloke actually gone and done it yet?? or is it just a load of crap he is talking?? if not he may want to contact his dealer,car may be due a recall...
He's planning to do it in January '07. I don't think he'll get anywhere near enough money.
Richard

No French cars of my own at present.
Care of a 1994 205 D.
pugxpert

Post by pugxpert »

c5 was multiplexed from launch as was i expect c2+c3, c1/107/aigo is not though.later c6 will be can bus like 407 and not van/can like the 307.new 307 are full can bus now and are a lot better, mercedes have used full bosch can for years..