Plymouth to Dakar rally-BX!

This is the place for posts that don't fit into any other category.

Moderator: RichardW

alastair
My Cars:

Plymouth to Dakar rally-BX!

Post by alastair »

Was anyone else up at 1-2am last night?! Brilliant programme on Men and Motors channel about the Plymouth to Dakar rally. It was about a rally from a few years ago I think.
Anyway, one of the cars was a BX! H reg. I didn't see it at the end of the programme, so I don't know if it made it or not, does anyone know?
Looks great fun, I would love to do it sometime.
1990 XM 2.1 SED
1982 Fleetwood Southwind
1971 Morris Minor pick up
Sturdybloke

Dakar and bust

Post by Sturdybloke »

Yep I saw it. The Grey one loaded to the hilt with gear that all the locals were removing from it - bannanas, gas stoves, spare wheels etc etc :lol: . I also saw the red Zx with a massive dent in the O/S/R wing. The blue Granada pushing the Hunter across the beach to get it going made me laugh. Not to mention the cream and red 2cv............

Right im now off to watch Miami Vice! :D
ACTIVE8
My Cars:

Dakar and Bust

Post by ACTIVE8 »

I also saw the programme, but at an earlier time. This is because they seem to repeat the programmes on the M & M channel. The full title of the programme is Dakar and Bust, they are actually repeating it today January 20th at 14.00hrs. Although it's likely that it might be repeated again at the weekend, or next week.

It was interesting watching their trials and tribulations in their basic/bargain cars. I have seen another episode to do with this programme, which was the first programme. The episode that is the subject of this post is actually part 2.

During the first programme the BX was filmed at the side of the road, where it had done quite well up to that point. They were having some problems with the engine, and could not get it running. Other drivers on the rally also had problems, and when they could not get their cars any further they had to give up on them, leaving them at the roadside. I think that is what happened to the petrol BX, because it did not appear at the end of the rally. Also the shots of it in episode 2 could have been clips from episode 1.

It's a shame we did not see it continue on further, because when they were driving along the beach for some distance, they came across some rocks which they had to get over, and around. The BX would have been great for this, because with the suspension on high, it would have negotiated the rocks quite easily, as the other cars with normal clearance were nearly grounding out in the middle. The BX would have cleared the rocks easily with the extra clearance, in effect it probably had similar clearance to the Lada Riva 4 X 4 which was also on the rally.

They also had to drive the vehicles into the sea dodging the incoming tide, and the cars were all heavily laden with supplies. So, as the waves came in they were lucky not to get swamped with water. Here again a BX would have, with the suspension on high extra height to clear the water.

At the end though, it was good to see that the 2CV managed to finish along with several other cars. :D
It's a pity that the BX did not seem to get to the end of the rally, but it did quite well to get as far as it did. :D
Last edited by ACTIVE8 on 20 Jan 2006, 14:16, edited 1 time in total.
ACTIVA

The car that looks like a family car, but has special secret hidden abilities.
ACTIVE8
My Cars:

Dakar and Bust (Updated research and information)

Post by ACTIVE8 »

UPDATE

The event is running again this year, and is apparently taking place right now. 8)

Here is the link to their web site.

www.plymouth-banjul.co.uk

This is the route that they are taking.

http://drewsweb.net/pdc04/pdc06/routemain.htm

So, at some point we might get to see the film of this years event. :D

Further research shows that the event we saw on the programme was the 2003 event, and that the team with the Hunter are Team Unknown, while the team with the 2CV are known as Team Tortoise, and the team with ZX are Team Honey Buzzard.

Finally I have found some details of the team with the BX, and it's a GTI.
The team is called the Clueless Racers.

Here's a picture of the car, before it went on the trip, which apparently made it eventualy in the end after getting repaired. So it turns out, it made it to the finish in the end after all.

Also here's some more info on the link below.

http://www.drewslink.freeserve.co.uk/ch ... s_main.htm

If you click on the Cluless Racers link below the oval picture, which is found on the link listed above, you can read their story. :D
ACTIVA

The car that looks like a family car, but has special secret hidden abilities.
alastair
My Cars:

Post by alastair »

Nice one! :D
I will have a look around those sites later. Glad to hear the BX made it, quite a good choice of car. The Lada Riva 4x4 seemed a popular choice too, probably because they are cheap but supposedly very rugged.
I must admit if I did it I would probably choose a diesel BX. Nice and comfy, reliable engine, plenty of potential for exciting roadside repairs... :shock:
1990 XM 2.1 SED
1982 Fleetwood Southwind
alastair
My Cars:

Post by alastair »

Just had a quick look at the list of vehicles, 2 BXs, a Morris Minor, a pink 2CV van, 2 Renault 4s, 2 Dyanes, and even a CX! :lol:
Great mixture.
1990 XM 2.1 SED
1982 Fleetwood Southwind
Rob81
My Cars:

Post by Rob81 »

Some good photos of the BX and 2cv here

http://www.teamdb123.org/photos.html
Citroen C5 2.2 HDi Exclusive Tourer
Peugeot Boxer 2.8 HDi Camper (conversation)

Previously;
Lots of Citroens including 2CVs, Dyane, Acadiane, Bx, Activa, XM CX and Picasso