Astra TD(WHAT WERE WE THINKING!)

This is the place for posts that don't fit into any other category.

Moderator: RichardW

np
My Cars:

Astra TD(WHAT WERE WE THINKING!)

Post by np »

After months of telling my wife that the ZX TD WAS the car for her,& the fact that she then wanted a ZX TD :D ,she sees a Astra TD & falls in love with it :x .Ok,so its got the toys,P/S,E/W,C/L etc,but shes only had it a week,& so far its had a new battery,new glow plugs & a service.It would`nt start,so she flatten`d the battery trying.KILLED IT! :( New battery & glowplugs,got it going in the end.It was as if all the fuel was draining out of the pipes,hence it needed priming.No hand primer like the good old XUD`s.It has to be cranked over & over.Anyway,serviced it yesterday,& the fuel filter was very loose,no effort at all to remove.Tightend the new one very tight indeed :P :twisted: ,no problems since.
The 1.7 td goes ok,but it aint no XUD TD!
This is one time where i`ve been saying to my self(& my darling wife)IF ONLY WE GOT A CITROEN! :D
53`406 est SE Hdi 140,110k
ralph
My Cars:

Post by ralph »

It'll probably convert you, np. Nice cars, them Vectras #-o
2000 Clio 1.2 8-valve
1993 Mercedes 190E
2007 Honda FRV diesel
1998 Xsara TD, 293K - gone but not forgotten.
205s, 405, ZXs all loved and crushed.
Kowalski
My Cars: Ex 05 C5 2.0 HDI Exclusive 145k
Ex 97 Xantia 1.9TD SX 144k
Ex 94 Xantia Dimension 1.9TD 199k

Post by Kowalski »

ralph wrote:It'll probably convert you, np. Nice cars, them Vectras #-o
Wash your mouth out now!

Xantias have a certain style and character that you just don't get on a Vectra and they (Vectras) have no exclusivity because there are so many of them about. Don't forget that a Cavalier isn't a very good BX substitute either!
Sturdybloke

Astra Td

Post by Sturdybloke »

Is it fitted with the GM engine or the Isuzu unit?
np
My Cars:

Post by np »

Isuzu engine Sturdybloke.Its got 148k on it,but service history to 130k,with a cambelt change.Body work is good,& the interior,seats,steering wheel etc certainly dont look like its done 148k.
Its easy to work on/service.The glow plugs took 10 mins all in to change.Unlike my Xantia :roll: ,although i can do them in about 40 mins now,inc the plug behind the fuel pump.
It will do her for a while.
I was just looking foward to getting another Citroen to work on,& post more problems on here :D .I used to be a Vauxhall man before i found the delights of Xantia ownership,so know them pretty well.
Sturdybloke

Post by Sturdybloke »

Thats a good thing in its favour. The old GM unit is a awfull old slug (even in turbo form) made out of pig iron and spit :lol: (and i know because I drove a cav with one in it about 9 years ago and I aint ever going to forget that car :evil:) . Sounds like you have bought a good one as on the whole, a Astra with S/hist is a good buy - reliable, lots about, good dealer backup and cheap spares if and when it goes wrong - Anthony.
Paul Mi16

Post by Paul Mi16 »

We have an Astra cdti that has never been any trouble ever, more than can be said of the 306.
np
My Cars:

Post by np »

Fingers crossed its a good `un :D ..She reports that is now starting ok in the mornings & evenings,so maybe the loose ish fuel fiter was leting in a bit of air.Got the rest of the week off now( :D 8) after working 12hr days,7 days a week inc Xmas & n/year :x )so off to scrapy tomorrow to see what bits they have.IE std stereo to replace nasty old K/Wood,some clear front indicators(the car is white & looks :cry: with orange ones),1 Vxh w/trim,& anything else that takes my fancy :wink: ,if you know what i mean.
Will see what Xantia`s they have there too.No VSX`s though i expect.
Stinkwheel

Post by Stinkwheel »

could be worse, could be a ford.
"Rust Never Sleeps" said Neil Young. Did he own old citroens?
1998 Xantia TD exclusive auto estate +3 x BX's +77' ami 8 break + 73' dyane 6 + '83 2CV6 + 94' XM 2.1 sx auto + 89' XM2.0i
+ '85' GSA + '97 XM 2.0 16v + '81 Visa super E
np
My Cars:

Post by np »

Stinkwheel wrote:could be worse, could be a ford.
Well it WAS worse,& the Ford is now on Ebay :D
Stinkwheel

Post by Stinkwheel »

oh dear god, get help, fords and vauxhals.

Quick, get this man some chevrons.

I think you should replace the astra with a zx asap.
"Rust Never Sleeps" said Neil Young. Did he own old citroens?
1998 Xantia TD exclusive auto estate +3 x BX's +77' ami 8 break + 73' dyane 6 + '83 2CV6 + 94' XM 2.1 sx auto + 89' XM2.0i
+ '85' GSA + '97 XM 2.0 16v + '81 Visa super E
ACTIVE8
My Cars:

Post by ACTIVE8 »

Kowalski wrote:
ralph wrote:It'll probably convert you, np. Nice cars, them Vectras #-o
Wash your mouth out now!

Xantias have a certain style and character that you just don't get on a Vectra and they (Vectras) have no exclusivity because there are so many of them about. Don't forget that a Cavalier isn't a very good BX substitute either!
Yes, true Xantias are nice cars. :D

Vectras are not. [-X
ACTIVA

The car that looks like a family car, but has special secret hidden abilities.
np
My Cars:

Post by np »

I have 2 work friends with Vectras.1 a 120cdti,the other a 150cdti.While they no doubt have a good engine,the cars themselfs just "feel" like any other car.A bit bland.The Xantia feels alot nicer inside,& i think the build quality in mine is better than their newer cars.
We took the Astra to London this w/end.I drove there & back.While it was a vast improvement on the Fiesta(which is doing very well on Ebay :D ),i really missed the comfort & cruising ability of my Xantia.Even though i thought the spheres were tired after 4 yrs/55k miles,getting back into the Xant from the Astra i realise it still floats & wafts along. :D