So long.........I'm off to pastures new

This is the place for posts that don't fit into any other category.

Moderator: RichardW

paranoid
My Cars:

Post by paranoid »

To be fair to the seller it wasn't doing this till a few days ago, still gutted though
75 connes SE Cdti (nice, no really nice)
98 Xantia sensation
94'000ImageImage
paranoid
My Cars:

Post by paranoid »

The guy who is reparing it, reckons its a classic case of not letting the engine run for a while before you turn off.

After a 90 mph run, theory says it should tick over for about 12 minutes, we all know that doesn't happen :?
75 connes SE Cdti (nice, no really nice)
98 Xantia sensation
94'000ImageImage
Kowalski
My Cars: Ex 05 C5 2.0 HDI Exclusive 145k
Ex 97 Xantia 1.9TD SX 144k
Ex 94 Xantia Dimension 1.9TD 199k

Post by Kowalski »

paranoid wrote:The guy who is reparing it, reckons its a classic case of not letting the engine run for a while before you turn off.

After a 90 mph run, theory says it should tick over for about 12 minutes, we all know that doesn't happen :?
If it was a high specific output engine with a turbo, for example a Subaru Impreza Turbo, you might recommend letting it idle after a hard run, although with the modern water cooled turbos you get on petrol cars now its not as much of a problem as it once was. A diesel doesn't get it exhaust and turbo anywhere near as hot as a high powered turbo petrol engine does, there is a reason why water cooled turbos aren't needed on diesel engines. Your engine will no doubt have an oil cooler and 90mph motorway cruise hardly makes the exhaust manifold glow red now does it?

A single run isn't enough to kill a turbo in any case, coking is a gradual process, you have to get the turbo very hot many times to build up enough residue to cause problems. I think it is much more likely to be a manufacturing defect than wear and tear or abuse.