So long.........I'm off to pastures new

This is the place for posts that don't fit into any other category.

Moderator: RichardW

alan s
RIP 2010
My Cars:

Post by alan s »

If it's any consolation, Keith "Grizzly" Adams who rund the Austin-Rover board also owns Cits in particular BX16Vs so if you get a bit homesick, you'll have an ear to cry in.
Miss you mate, you've been a great contributor over the time.

Alan S :wink:
RIP Sept 19th 2008.

She said "Put the cat out" She didn't mention it was on fire!!
paranoid
My Cars:

Post by paranoid »

I have to say that reading the various sites etc, Citroen and rover forums really do seem to have a lot in common, they seem to have a very similar DIY friendliness about them :? And the oh so familar feeling of being looked down upon for having something a bit different (cheap) by the vectra/ mondeo brigade.

What my real trouble though is trying to work out the Bmw part numbers so I can get the filters from GSF. :( Any suggestions would be appreciated.

2.0 litre BMW diesel 2003 reg
75 connes SE Cdti (nice, no really nice)
98 Xantia sensation
94'000ImageImage
jeremy
My Cars:

Post by jeremy »

Quinton Hazell and others put their catalogues on the net for download in PDF form so you can do your own cross-referencing. I don't know if the compatability is complete - for example they might sell a thermostat with 2 gaskets so it fitted 2 models whereas another manufacturer may sell each separately with only one gasket.

The other thing to remember is that GSF also supply bits for BMW and so have done the work for you!

Enjoy your Rover - soon you'll have to contend with Chinese characters!

jeremy
jeremy
yangreen

Post by yangreen »

An interesting place to wander over to is http://www.austin-rover.co.uk/
Yep. As Alan points out, Keith Adams is prone to the odd burst of Citroen ownership - I purchased my BX 16 valve from him earlier this year.

Wonderful website. Some of it makes you want to cry when you see how (mis) management and politics brought such a huge company to its knees.

Ian
1986 Citroën 2cv Dolly. 133k. All shiny again!
1994 Citroën AX 1.0 Jive - girlies' workhorse GONE
paranoid
My Cars:

Post by paranoid »

I have regularly visited this site ( for a few years, Amazing amount of work must go into it, there is always sohttp://www.austin-rover.co.uk/ )mething interesting to read!
98 Xantia sensation
94'000ImageImage
ACTIVE8
My Cars:

Post by ACTIVE8 »

Sorry paranoid, but the link above does not work. :(

To access the site try this one.

www.austin-rover.co.uk

As correctly shown on yangreen's and drpau's posts.
ACTIVA

The car that looks like a family car, but has special secret hidden abilities.
paranoid
My Cars:

Post by paranoid »

Sorry thats what I meant :roll:

4 year old suddenly let the height down on my seat :shock:
98 Xantia sensation
94'000ImageImage
Gregg1100
My Cars:

Post by Gregg1100 »

Hi,
I may be defecting too. I am in process of getting my Volvo 460 back on road. My house roof is starting to leak, so I will have to sell the Xantia to raise some cash. The Volvo has NO catalytic converter, NO abs, NO dodgy suspension system :twisted: . Does have heated seats though, not leather ones , just right for this weather :) .
I will still be coming here cos I have a Citroen mad son and while most kids are electronically competant, a lot aren`t too god with the practical side. Good old dad, he will fix it. :?
Regards,
Greg

90 Kawa EN 500 A1- was running---now dead again
04 Kawa GPZ 500 E10 -alive and well.
54 Fiat Punto 1.2 Dynamic

Old Xantias- 16v 2litre 1997 VSX, 2 x 1993 TD Lx, S2 SX 1.9TD
Old Bx's--3 x 1.9 D, 1x 1.6 Auto, 1 x 1.9 GTi, 1 x 1.9 TZS
Gregg1100
My Cars:

Post by Gregg1100 »

Hi Paranoid,
Good luck with your new car. I hope you find a forum as good and friendly as this one.
Have a great 2006.
Regards,
Greg

90 Kawa EN 500 A1- was running---now dead again
04 Kawa GPZ 500 E10 -alive and well.
54 Fiat Punto 1.2 Dynamic

Old Xantias- 16v 2litre 1997 VSX, 2 x 1993 TD Lx, S2 SX 1.9TD
Old Bx's--3 x 1.9 D, 1x 1.6 Auto, 1 x 1.9 GTi, 1 x 1.9 TZS
zxTd

Post by zxTd »

Ive worked on them all in my time except the rover 75 because its still new but I know the engine well "excellent value for the money" good looking motor as well its a personal choice, Citroen hydro suspension and pug engine won me over and I have had many cars in my life and ended up with a diesel and very impressed with the quality
paranoid
My Cars:

Post by paranoid »

CANCEL ALL BETS I HAVE JUST POPPED THE TURBO :shock: :x :shock: :x :cry:

Went for a quick run up the motorway at about three in the morning a few days ago, since then boy has it smoked when it's started :?
And a big plume when lifting off the throttle

Good job I never got rid of the Xant yet then.

J8ust going for a little lie down and a cry :cry:
98 Xantia sensation
94'000ImageImage
Kowalski
My Cars: Ex 05 C5 2.0 HDI Exclusive 145k
Ex 97 Xantia 1.9TD SX 144k
Ex 94 Xantia Dimension 1.9TD 199k

Post by Kowalski »

paranoid wrote:CANCEL ALL BETS I HAVE JUST POPPED THE TURBO :shock: :x :shock: :x :cry:

Went for a quick run up the motorway at about three in the morning a few days ago, since then boy has it smoked when it's started :?
And a big plume when lifting off the throttle

Good job I never got rid of the Xant yet then.

J8ust going for a little lie down and a cry :cry:
On a petrol, lift off smoking is a sign that the oil seals on the input side of the turbo or the valve seals are suspect. When you close the throttle, you get vacuum on the inlet side and that vacuum sucks the oil through the seals.

Does your diesel actually have a throttle? If not, it could be EGR related, I'm grasping at straws hoping its not expensive for you. Smoke colour should tell you whats what, black is diesel (over fueling), white is on leaking into the exhaust, and blue is oil leaking on the intake side.

I did once follow an Audi that smoked very badly, it had been in a collision that broke its intercooler, the air mass meter on the particular car measured the air mass before it went into the intercooler. With the leak it was measuring air flow that wasn't reaching the engine and putting fuel in for the missing air, so it smoked quite badly. Check all your hose connections because it could be that sort of problem on yours.

Serves you right for defecting ;). Hope its not something too expensive
paranoid
My Cars:

Post by paranoid »

Very very blue smoke when revved, The big clue is the intercooler,

At the bottom where the hoses connect, absolutely covered in oil seems quite fresh and wet. constant drip when hose pulled off cooler itself.

Seems far to much smoke for it to be stem seals.

Apart from this the car is absolutely cracking and very easy to DIY
98 Xantia sensation
94'000ImageImage
drpau
My Cars:

Post by drpau »

Was he a trader on ebay? What are you going to do? Get it fixed yourself or try and get him to fork out for the repair? Im guessing it wont be cheap :-(
99 Xsara SX HDi 105k with PSi power box- smokier but well worth the wonga!
Kowalski
My Cars: Ex 05 C5 2.0 HDI Exclusive 145k
Ex 97 Xantia 1.9TD SX 144k
Ex 94 Xantia Dimension 1.9TD 199k

Post by Kowalski »

Its a bit of a shame really, you'd be enjoying the new car and the toys it has that the Xantia doesn't.

If you bought from a trader, ebay or not you should have a warranty whether its honoured or not is a whole different kettle of fish. If not I suppose you'll be looking for an Ebay turbo now then.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ROVER-75-TURBO-DI ... dZViewItem

How does £95 sound? There were two different power outputs on that Rover engine so there could be two different turbos.