Sainsburys bright green diesel !

This is the place for posts that don't fit into any other category.

Moderator: RichardW

nick
My Cars:

Sainsburys bright green diesel !

Post by nick »

I filled my car up with diesel at Sainsburys the other day & noticed a strange thing. When I spilled a couple of drops the fuel was bright green, not just slightly, but almost a fluorescent green like LHM or limeade!

I've never seen this before, derv is usually a very slight yellowy colour but not bright green. A couple of people have suggested it could be to indicate its winter diesel, or possibly that it contains biodiesel. The pump was for normal ULSD, and I filled up there before only a couple of weeks ago and it wasn't that colour then.

Anyone know why this would be?
drpau
My Cars:

Post by drpau »

Im sure the Shell stuff is blue'ish in colour. I reckon that will be the detergents giving it the colour.
99 Xsara SX HDi 105k with PSi power box- smokier but well worth the wonga!
Kowalski
My Cars: Ex 05 C5 2.0 HDI Exclusive 145k
Ex 97 Xantia 1.9TD SX 144k
Ex 94 Xantia Dimension 1.9TD 199k

Post by Kowalski »

The colour is just a dye, pretty much all fuel (and many oils) contains some dye or other for identification. The fact that its bright flourescent probably means somebody got their sums wrong and put a load more in than they should have.

There is one refinery in the Tyne & Wear area (where I live) and it supplies all of the petrol stations, all the different companies get the same petrol and diesel. To make their petrol or diesel different they add an additive package, where its added I don't know. There is plenty of scope to get the mix either too strong or weak, if they didn't mix it thoroughly, if the tank was near empty when they put the additive mix in, if they put the additives into the wrong tank etc etc. Nothing to panic about in any case.
nick
My Cars:

Post by nick »

Yes, thats most probably it, someones put too much additive in.

I was a bit concerned, as some countries (eg Ireland I think) dye their gas oil green instead of the red colour used in the UK.
jeremy
My Cars:

Post by jeremy »

Anyone know what you have to put in to colour the exhaust? (other than black!)
jeremy
nick
My Cars:

Post by nick »

If my Xantia starts blowing out green smoke I'll let you know, and you can fill up at Sainsburys :wink:
wilkobob
My Cars:

Post by wilkobob »

The stuff at our local BP is luminous green as well. I was changing the fuel filter on a mates car and I thought someone had maybe put LHM in the wrong place! It looks exaclty the same!