What was the point?

This is the place for posts that don't fit into any other category.

Moderator: RichardW

fastandfurryous
My Cars:

What was the point?

Post by fastandfurryous »

You have to wonder what the point was in the Citroen, Peugeot and Renault forums not being supported by GSF any more, as they have now re-started a french car forum, along with all the other forums they run.

So all that has happened was EXACTLY what people didn't want to happen, IE the experts being dipsersed around various different locations around the web. Do you stick with one forum, or read them all?
This is not a signature.
PowerLee
My Cars: Current - Slightly modified 2016 Pug 308 Puretech 130 Allure
Past:
2003 - 206 GLX TU3JP & 206 SE ET3JP4
1995 - 405 Executive XU10J2
1996 - 406 GLX XU10J4R
1994 - 405 GTX XU10J2

Post by PowerLee »

I tend to float about a few of the forums, Car mechanics & the 206 info forum mostly.

I stay away from the Honest John one, The mods on there are utter *******
jeremy
My Cars:

Post by jeremy »

I entirely agree. Where does Jon fit into all this? I would like to know where he stands before saying much more.
jeremy
Paul Mi16

Post by Paul Mi16 »

I'm sure they had their reasons for doing what they did, but nobody seems to know exactly why including GSF staff. The staff at my local branch said that was a bad move in that french car customers felt 'kicked in the teeth' by what had occured and there was a negative effect on sales along the lines of 'if thats they think then sod them' from the customers.

I shall be staying here, and won't be registering for all the forums as this one is about the best. All the people who were on the old Andyspares forum seem to be here. I don't post that often, but I appreciate this quiet corner of the 'electronic anorak' and the people who contribute.

Paul
drpau
My Cars:

Re: What was the point?

Post by drpau »

fastandfurryous wrote:You have to wonder what the point was in the Citroen, Peugeot and Renault forums not being supported by GSF any more, as they have now re-started a french car forum, along with all the other forums they run.

So all that has happened was EXACTLY what people didn't want to happen, IE the experts being dipsersed around various different locations around the web. Do you stick with one forum, or read them all?
Thats mental, why get rid in the first place then!? I have noticed that some old users who used to use the andyspares forum seem to have disappeared (actually that should be just- not appeared) from here, cant understand why as everyone else managed to find this place.

That jon dude seemed mighty hacked off with the forum just before it all closed.

Sod the GSF forum anyway, Im stoppin' here now :D
99 Xsara SX HDi 105k with PSi power box- smokier but well worth the wonga!
alexp-j
My Cars:

no threat

Post by alexp-j »

judging by the number of posts on the French topics & all the others on the GSF forum I'd say there's little to worry about.
Apart from that the whole archive is here & most peple seem to be finding it here ok.

I can't fathom why they dropped the andyspares forum. It defies logic why you should discourage thousands of users away from your site. Especially as they've turned around & started a new one. :?:
<GONE>1991 Peugeot 106 1.1 Carb</GONE>
<GONE>2004 Peugeot 307 SW 2.0 Hdi</GONE>
1995 Peugeot 106 Ski 1.5 D
2006 FIAT Panda 1.3 MultiJet
yangreen

Post by yangreen »

I think most of the posts on the GSF forum are from folk like me directing people here - they don't get much response from anyone else there.

Ian
1986 Citroën 2cv Dolly. 133k. All shiny again!
1994 Citroën AX 1.0 Jive - girlies' workhorse GONE
Stinkwheel

Post by Stinkwheel »

I think they were disasociating (sic?) themselves from andyspares to be honest.

GSF wanted to kill the andyspares name as soon a s poss, unfortunatly the 'andyspares' forum was getting bigger by the day. Not good, and lets face it, there are some of use here who talk about and use/enjoy cars that have not been in production for many years, there is no business or profit in that sort of thing for a comany like GSF.

Thats my opinion.

Here suits me fine, and here i shall stay.
"Rust Never Sleeps" said Neil Young. Did he own old citroens?
1998 Xantia TD exclusive auto estate +3 x BX's +77' ami 8 break + 73' dyane 6 + '83 2CV6 + 94' XM 2.1 sx auto + 89' XM2.0i
+ '85' GSA + '97 XM 2.0 16v + '81 Visa super E
Clogzz
My Cars:

Post by Clogzz »

They've been going for 3 weeks.
It's no use going back there.
See bottom post of 8 November from their administrator:

http://www.gsfcarparts.com/forum/topic. ... IC_ID=2046

Looks like many companies automatically get forum software with their paraphernalia.
Most companies seem to be happy with a forum where nothing happens.
The moment it gets too big, they get rid of it.
2002 C5 2.0i AL4 230,000 km 76372389
bxbodger
My Cars:

Post by bxbodger »

Well, at least now we can mention that which should not be named, the evil dark Lord Voldemort, AKA......:evil: Eurocarparts :evil: .......

It was always a bit difficult saying to someone they could get the thingamywotsit they needed to fix their Citroen from GSF, but not be able to offer Eurocarparts as an alternative. Nor could we moan about GSF's dodgy carriers: next day delivery my a**e :^o!!!!!

I suspect that like myself, most people switch between the two, depending on who's got what in stock and who's the most pricey.
fastandfurryous
My Cars:

Post by fastandfurryous »

Personally I think GSF are shooting themselves in the foot by re-opening a french car forum. Whilst I'm sure it will get many new members, if they all go on there asking "newbie" questions, no-one will learn anything.

Far better would have been to kill off the "andyspares" aspect of the forums, and integrate them into the main list (having Peugeot Citroen and Renault alongside Audi, BMW etc.) as it would have encouraged cross-reading of other marques of forum, and spread knowledge further.

Either that, or just give up completely on the french aspect, and provide a link to here, with a disclaimer that it is "bugger all to do with us".

After all, it has to be in GSF's interest to run a forum with plenty of experts in it, as it means they don't have to employ as many experts themselves, and are selling parts for cars that are old enough to need expert advice.

Strikes me that andyspares closed because someone at GSF had a little temper tantrum about something and made a very bad policy decision, and they are now trying to back-track.
This is not a signature.
jeremy
My Cars:

Post by jeremy »

I agree FF - usual gutless British Management - and someone who thought a small and easily dealt with bit of trouble might harm his glittering career. Looks like he's got what he deserves - a drop in sales of French bits!

What a shame!
jeremy
alexp-j
My Cars:

Post by alexp-j »

Stinkwheel wrote:I think they were disasociating (sic?) themselves from andyspares to be honest.

GSF wanted to kill the andyspares name as soon a s poss,
Why didn't they just change the name and integrate it into the main forum as the pug, cit, ren section.
Beats me :?:
James.UK
My Cars:

Post by James.UK »

I also agree with F&f and Jeremy. The response to someone writing a bit of tripe did appear to be well OTT at the time, all forums have to put up with the odd nutter or two, thats life. and thats why we have moderators.. :)

For my part, I intend to support this forum and all its members for as long as I am able.. But. I no longer feel obliged to support gsf.. I will buy parts as and where I can get them now, dependant on price and availability.. :)
James. (Nr M67 East of Manchester).
Dark Blue ZX 1.9D Auto 1994 'L' 5 dr (modified) Aura. 98K miles used daily. Ave mpg 40
Wedgewood Blue 75 CTD auto Connoissaur. 2002. 144k. used daily. ave mpg 40 ish.
alexp-j
My Cars:

Post by alexp-j »

James.UK wrote:I also agree with F&f and Jeremy. The response to someone writing a bit of tripe did appear to be well OTT at the time, all forums have to put up with the odd nutter or two, thats life. and thats why we have moderators.. :)
If that was the cas ewouldn't it follow that they would close all the forums?