Top gear 2005 survey.

This is the place for posts that don't fit into any other category.

Moderator: RichardW

James.UK
My Cars:

Top gear 2005 survey.

Post by James.UK »

I haven't actually checked, but they said on the last nights programme that there are 10 French cars in the bottom 13!!! worst being the Peurgeot 307. oeerr.. :oops: :roll: :?

http://www.topgear.com/content/features ... /01/1.html
James. (Nr M67 East of Manchester).
Dark Blue ZX 1.9D Auto 1994 'L' 5 dr (modified) Aura. 98K miles used daily. Ave mpg 40
Wedgewood Blue 75 CTD auto Connoissaur. 2002. 144k. used daily. ave mpg 40 ish.
Stuart McB
My Cars:

Post by Stuart McB »

Same old blah. Every year we hear the same from the like of this bunch :shock: . Less face it if BMW sell 50,000 units and they have 50% with complaints that still rates as less then say Citroen who've sold a mere 10,000 units with 50% complaints (example). Same amount of complaints but as the Citroen pile is smaller it rates higher on the complaints scale.

All I can say I've had no nasty problems with any of my Citroens or Reno's. My Rovers and BMW on the other hand.....piles of junk them all(apart from my Austin Maxi 1750HLS :D ). Customer service? expensive smiles from service staff. Reno dealer bent over backwards for the wife and I. Even picked the car up from US!!! :o for a service the dealer is 30miles away & he left a courtesy car for no charge. BMW blamed me for a broken rad cap back in 1990 on a 318, this lead to a popped HG. Had to get a solicitor to threaten legal action if not dealt with under the warranty.

So in all Top gear, go and smoke it!!!. :twisted: :twisted:
The wifes got a C4 I've got a ZX TD SX!!!!
JohnD
(Donor 2022)
My Cars: 2010 Citroen C5-X7 tourer
1998 Citroen Saxo 1.5D
2018 Citroen C4-B7
1998 Peugeot 306. 1.9D
2011 Citroen C1

Post by JohnD »

HDI 138BHP engine in a C5 gets three stars for performance. Same engine in a 406 gets one star. Doesn't seem to make sense! Maybe that's why I take little notice of what they come up with.
c7rlf

Post by c7rlf »

Lets be honest if I had a pick ot prepped Bm's mercs etc etc

Citroens and pugs would seem pretty crap
Formally known as PARANOID
Homer
My Cars: Current:
Volvo V60 D4 180

Previous:
BX16RS (two of),
BX19TZI,
Xantia 2.0i saloon,
Xantia 2.0 Exclusive CT turbo Break,
Peugeot 807 2.0 HDi 110,
Renault Grand Scenic, 2.0 diesel (150bhp)
C5 X7 2.0 HDi 160 which put me off French cars possibly forever

Re: Top gear 2005 survey.

Post by Homer »

James.UK wrote:worst being the Peurgeot 307. oeerr.. :oops: :roll: :?
Errmmm...

No....

The "worst" was the 807.

What I don't understand is. The survey is carried out by people who own the cars. Presumably they had some say in the choice of car before they bought it. Presumably they looked at the peugeot 807 and presumably they had a test drive in one.

Why then were they so suprised that it does not perform or handle like a sports car?

I have a 2.0 HDi and it goes quite well. It can more than keep up with normal traffic and will bowl along the motorway at illegal speeds quite happily. Considering it weighs over two tonne I don't think it does that badly.

The other thing I don't understand is how the owners can mark it down on comfort and practicality.
c7rlf

Post by c7rlf »

Don't these people research before buying a car?
Formally known as PARANOID
fastandfurryous
My Cars:

Post by fastandfurryous »

The problem with these surveys is that you only get information from the sort of people who want to participate.

Usually these are odd people, and odd in a particular way. This isn't meant to be derogotary, after all, it could be said that people who own 5 cars, or enjoy making their £200 citroen ride properly are also odd, but in a different way.

Has anyone here actually participated in one of these surveys? I certainly haven't, and never would. Some people out there actually go out of their way to participate in a survey.... Odd indeed... to me anyway.

The other problem is that it is all an opinion. It is also more likely to be a reflection on a person's local dealer than it is the car.

All in all, hardly a scientific method of assessment. (Or, as I like to think of it, a load of bollocks.)

Just my opinion.
This is not a signature.
np
My Cars:

Post by np »

If you watched the program last night,you would have seen the guy in the audiance(?)who had a Merc C class est.Said it was a great car with no probs at all,apart from customer service.Yet the car did badly in the survey.
I had 2 brand new Rover 200`s in 99 ,a Vi & a TD.Great cars,more so the VI :D ,but they always did bad in these surveys.
My Dads is on his 2nd 406 HDI,had no probs what so ever with them,but they do bad in these surveys.
I take these things with a pinch of salt.
53`406 est SE Hdi 140,110k
paranoid
My Cars:

Post by paranoid »

fastandfurryous wrote:The problem with these surveys is that you only get information from the sort of people who want to participate.

Usually these are odd people, and odd in a particular way. This isn't meant to be derogotary, after all, it could be said that people who own 5 cars, or enjoy making their £200 citroen ride properly are also odd, but in a different way.

Has anyone here actually participated in one of these surveys? I certainly haven't, and never would. Some people out there actually go out of their way to participate in a survey.... Odd indeed... to me anyway.

The other problem is that it is all an opinion. It is also more likely to be a reflection on a person's local dealer than it is the car.

All in all, hardly a scientific method of assessment. (Or, as I like to think of it, a load of bollocks.)

Just my opinion.

SO VERY VERY TRUE :roll:
75 connes SE Cdti (nice, no really nice)
98 Xantia sensation
94'000ImageImage
np
My Cars:

Post by np »

Another thing,the survey puts the Merc C class at 115 out of 159,not what i would say was a good result,but they see fit to group test a C class est Diesel in the same issue mag as the results,& it comes 2nd ,behind the BMW 3 series,& infront of the Saab 9-3.If it WAS that bad,why group test it & say good things about it.
Some cars will be great,others from the same maker could be "friday cars" :D
53`406 est SE Hdi 140,110k
paranoid
My Cars:

Post by paranoid »

Personnaly for me it goes back to the days of my dads Marina's

Got absolutley slaughtered (and still does) for everything but we never had one problem in over 15 years
Sure it wasn't the best handling or the most powerfull but because it was had a decent level of maintenence it ran and ran
75 connes SE Cdti (nice, no really nice)
98 Xantia sensation
94'000ImageImage
Homer
My Cars: Current:
Volvo V60 D4 180

Previous:
BX16RS (two of),
BX19TZI,
Xantia 2.0i saloon,
Xantia 2.0 Exclusive CT turbo Break,
Peugeot 807 2.0 HDi 110,
Renault Grand Scenic, 2.0 diesel (150bhp)
C5 X7 2.0 HDi 160 which put me off French cars possibly forever

Post by Homer »

fastandfurryous wrote: Has anyone here actually participated in one of these surveys?
As a matter of fact....

Yes.

This year.

For the 807.

I gave it nearly top marks in almost everything.

I don't even have a complaint about the service.

Considering there aren't that many of them, all the other owners must have given it zero across the board. :shock:
PowerLee
My Cars: Current - Slightly modified 2016 Pug 308 Puretech 130 Allure
Past:
2003 - 206 GLX TU3JP & 206 SE ET3JP4
1995 - 405 Executive XU10J2
1996 - 406 GLX XU10J4R
1994 - 405 GTX XU10J2

Post by PowerLee »

Hi

I done this years survey for my 206, I gave it good marks & the dealer very good marks.

I cant really fault the car, I knew what faults 206s suffer from before I bought it & any faults that have happened the dealer has bent over backwards to fix it quickly under warranty, Its just a build quality issue & using Valeo as a supplier for parts thats holding Peugeot / Citroen back.

At least PSA ditched Sagem after the coil pack fiasco

Also speaking of Morris Marinas, My dad had one for about 4 years & other then snapping the roll pin at the bottom of the gear stick it never broke down or needed anything other then normal servicing.
bxbodger
My Cars:

Post by bxbodger »

7 warranty claims on an '03 plate car? I'd be raging and giving it really poor marks!! It just goes to show how subjective these surveys are!
TomH
My Cars:

Post by TomH »

obviously the higher the sample size, the higher the worth of the survey, but it does give clear indications of customer satisfaction for general manufacturers.

French build quality and customer service are bad.

Having said that, the Honda S2000 got a higher "practicality" rating than the Peugeot 807 which came bottom. If someone dislikes their car they will obviously rate it badly for everything!