Major Rant

This is the place for posts that don't fit into any other category.

Moderator: RichardW

Sir Clive

Major Rant

Post by Sir Clive »

I mean just how unlucky can you be....... During the last three days I have had the windscreen cracked by a storn flung up from a passing lorry, so I have to take the car in today to have it repaired. Then, I was manoevring in a narrow road at night, and clobbered a front (alloy) wheel on a displaced drain grating that I couldn't see,as it was dark. The wheel is still safe to use but the damage is beyond repair.
And finally, on Saturday, I was driving along, minding my own business when there was a terrible noise from the back of the car. I stopped, pumped up the suspension, and had a good look round, and could see nothing. I set off again, gingerly, no noise, and everything seemed fine. A few miles down the road, and the handling of the car began to go off. I stopped in a convenient bus stop, and found the nearside rear tyre was flat, and smelt very hot and rubbery.
Out with the jack, and spare wheel, and off with the flat. The noise had been caused by an unknown object getting caught between the rear caliper and the wheel. The dust shield has been mangled, and the alloy wheel cracked, hence the flat, and ruined, tyre. I think the caliper itself, other than a few dings, has survived.

I've now bought a set of steel wheels off ebay, got a set of bolts from the local scrapyard, total cost, £15.00. I've gone right off the idea of alloys .... they are all going to go down to the recycling skip!
406 V6
My Cars:

Post by 406 V6 »

In Portugal, big trucks have an insurance protecting other drivers from stones and debries sent flying by them.
Also, did you manage to take a picture of the displaced drain and the wheel? Perhaps you can get the Council to pay for the damages caused. :?
Francisco
C5 2.0HDI smoothly riding on 1.8l version spheres :D
When the hearts beats like a pressure regulator you know it means one thing: Love
Citroën - pacemaking since 1955
Stuart McB
My Cars:

Post by Stuart McB »

Sir Clive what a s**t couple of days you've had. Take some kalms and relax. Alloys look good but never seem to wear as good as trusty old steel wheels. (I say that now as I have no alloys and can't find a decent set for my mazda).
The wifes got a C4 I've got a ZX TD SX!!!!
Sir Clive

Post by Sir Clive »

Ah well, I feel better for getting it off my chest! Anyhow, the windscreen was repaired yesterday,as an insurance job it was free.
I pick the wheels up this week, and have ordered a pair of Avon tyres from MyTyres.
Dust shield for the rear caliper came from Brake Warehouse
Total cost so far, £ 98-00
I have a set of genuine wheel trims left over from when I had my Xantia HDi
I know I'll have to pay to have the tyres fitted and balanced, but overall the cost will be far less than *one* replacement alloy wheel alone

:D
garden95921

Thanks

Post by garden95921 »

Sir Clive wrote:I mean just how unlucky can you be.
Damn, i never thought of looking at it that way, thanks.