Need an opinion regarding a Xantia

This is the place for posts that don't fit into any other category.

Moderator: RichardW

406 V6
My Cars:

Need an opinion regarding a Xantia

Post by 406 V6 »

Hi!

I spotted a '97 Xantia at the dealer where i bought the C5.
It's an ex-taxi, 1.9D (71bhp) with 330.000kms.
The engine claters well and the suspension seems also to be in good shape. The interior, apart from being dirty from the years and service, is also in a very good condition.

The amount of kilometers is what gets me thinking, thought i've heard this engine is strong, and from what i read here it seems to be ok.

Thanks for any thoughts ;)
Francisco
C5 2.0HDI smoothly riding on 1.8l version spheres :D
When the hearts beats like a pressure regulator you know it means one thing: Love
Citroën - pacemaking since 1955
bxbodger
My Cars:

Post by bxbodger »

What are the regulations regarding age of taxis over there?

The reason I ask is that in the UK no taxi driver will trade in a car unless it is really on its last legs and becoming unreliable and expensive (if it doesn't work, he can't earn) or he is forced to by rules appertaining to age of car!!!

There could be some local regulation where you are that says cabbies have to have a car under a certain age, if so then it may still have a lot of life left in it- provided its had regular oil changes, and thats what you need to check.
406 V6
My Cars:

Post by 406 V6 »

We have no age regulations.
Taxis as old as some Datsuns from the 70's can still be seen :P! As long as it works, then it's fine.
The owner traded it for a new C5 taxi, and i'm sure i can get a warranty for it, even if it's only for 6 months.
Francisco
When the hearts beats like a pressure regulator you know it means one thing: Love
jeremy
My Cars:

Post by jeremy »

You must be a man of infinite patience if you are contemplating a 71 BHp Xantia. Many complain that the turbo one is very slow after a BX TD and that the 2.1 TD is much better.
jeremy
406 V6
My Cars:

Post by 406 V6 »

I am very patient - until i run out of it! :twisted:

I know it must be extremely slow, as i already find my sister's Corsa (1.2l 75bhp) slow.

I've talked to an acquaintance about this car and it costs about half in the "real world". Unless i can lower the price, then it's a no-no, as 4000 euro is the price of a TD from the same year.
For small trips around town is enough for me, as the C5 is very big for parking in the middle of the city. Either a that or a BX :D
Francisco