Querying an MOT failure

This is the place for posts that don't fit into any other category.

Moderator: RichardW

batwad
My Cars:

Querying an MOT failure

Post by batwad »

My recent exploits with CV boots led me to wonder what recourse there is if your car fails an MOT but you disagree with the result. In my case it failed on split boots, which I later checked and couldn't find splits in.

If I'd have taken the car back to the garage and asked them to show me the splits would they be required to by law? Could I then challenge the failure and then get the failure quashed or would it be an "expert's" word against that of a "novice"?
lighteninguk

Post by lighteninguk »

check this page out from gov website.. could prove useful

one thing this website does say is dont let anyone repair your car if you are going to offically query your MOT

http://www.direct.gov.uk/Motoring/Ownin ... k=i1%2BskO
ZX 1.4I 1993 Reflex KDX
bxbodger
My Cars:

Post by bxbodger »

I have always found testers to be quite amenable to showing me what they have failed, and they will normally do so if you are polite with them- but only at the time of the test.
Normally I will have had a good look over the car before the test anyway so if they spot something I haven't seen, I do ask them to show me.

They tend to come across as a bit surly, but thats mainly because its quite an emotive area and they are often faced with really stroppy people demanding that their obviously unroadworthy heap of scrap be passed, even though its unsafe.

Being a tester is, I imagine, sometimes a bit like being a parking warden-The best thing to do from the testers point of view is say nothing, write out the fail ticket, just point out the appeal procedure and not get drawn into an argument.
philhoward

Post by philhoward »

Could this the new ruse to make money for no work required? It used to be the wiper blades trick ("I've put a pair on for you, sir, at 200% markup"). How many people would actually get underneath to check?

Find a garage which does a free pre-MoT check and see if they "advise" it; if not, get them to do the MoT!

ISTR the best you can get from a MOT grievance is the refund of your fee. I'd say take it back and ask them to show you the splits - better still see if there's more than one tester and ask the other one instead!
James.UK
My Cars:

Post by James.UK »

You legaly lose your case the minute you take your car away :( they could simply claim you changed the boots after you left. Unlikely I know, but you can't prove otherwise.. :(

I think the best solution is to find an MOT station with staff you feel you can trust, the old station staff may have been genuine, but as you now doubt them I think you will be happier going elswhere in future...
James. (Nr M67 East of Manchester).
Dark Blue ZX 1.9D Auto 1994 'L' 5 dr (modified) Aura. 98K miles used daily. Ave mpg 40
Wedgewood Blue 75 CTD auto Connoissaur. 2002. 144k. used daily. ave mpg 40 ish.
yangreen

Post by yangreen »

I've always been lucky with MOT stations and have found ones where they let me follow them around while they do the test so I can see exactly what they are unhappy about (if anything!).

In fact, my local place even gets me to drive onto the ramp and operate all the switches for them! They do draw the line at the brake test though which is a shame as I've always wanted a go!

Owning a 2cv, it can be a challenge finding a garage than can operate the gears, let alone be happy with a little play in the kingpins!

Ian
1986 Citroën 2cv Dolly. 133k. All shiny again!
1994 Citroën AX 1.0 Jive - girlies' workhorse GONE
_kid_

Post by _kid_ »

I find council run MOT stations are fair and neutral. This is because they don’t do any repairs and therefore have no motivation to unnecessarily fail. This way their analysis of a particular part is more than likely to be fair in deciding whether it passes or fails in the original instance.

Near to me is Leicester firstbus, in July it was £30 test and £15 re-rest which seems fair to me
currently no citroens :-(
1.4 2000 forte now gone too
xantia 1.8i 16v dimension 1996P now gone,
Homer
My Cars: Current:
Volvo V60 D4 180

Previous:
BX16RS (two of),
BX19TZI,
Xantia 2.0i saloon,
Xantia 2.0 Exclusive CT turbo Break,
Peugeot 807 2.0 HDi 110,
Renault Grand Scenic, 2.0 diesel (150bhp)
C5 X7 2.0 HDi 160 which put me off French cars possibly forever

Post by Homer »

yangreen wrote: In fact, my local place even gets me to drive onto the ramp and operate all the switches for them! They do draw the line at the brake test though which is a shame as I've always wanted a go!
A couple of places I have used in the past have had me press the brake during the brake test. First time I did this in a BX it jumped off the rollers when the wheels locked.
fastandfurryous
My Cars:

Post by fastandfurryous »

The last place that did my Forward control Landrover had me do everything for him, mainly as nothing is labled in the cab. I did the break test too, and almost broke his rolling road! needles went almost off the scale!

What I find odd is that for class 4/7 tests (cars and vans) the general public is supposed to stay well clear of everything, and shouldn't be anywhere near the car, but for an HGV/Bus/Coach MOT test, the driver actually HAS to stay with the vehicle, and operate switches/brakes etc. You are also always invited down into the pit to have a look at any fail points.

A little while ago I took a friends car for MOT, which it failed on a couple of points. The tester not only let me "assist" in the test, but also let me fix the (minor) problems there and then on his ramp, rather than driving it home to fix them. Personally, I think this was good, as it meant we were taking a responsible attitude to making sure the vehicle was safe on the road, but if the ministery had turned up, this guy would probably have been closed down..... how utterly stupid!
This is not a signature.
yangreen

Post by yangreen »

Blimey, do forward control Land Rovers actually have brakes then? :P

By the way, you may find this of interest but then, you may have seen it before in which case I apologise!

http://www.tanygraig.force9.co.uk/John/vlr/form.htm

Ian
1986 Citroën 2cv Dolly. 133k. All shiny again!
1994 Citroën AX 1.0 Jive - girlies' workhorse GONE
fastandfurryous
My Cars:

Post by fastandfurryous »

Yes..... quite large ones actually.... although they are drums and do fade quite badly!

I hadn't seen that before actually, and it has taken several minutes for me to stop laughing my ass off!

best thing I've seen for ages!
This is not a signature.
wilkobob
My Cars:

Post by wilkobob »

One of our local MoT stations let me "test" the car, I did all the switches etc. There were a few failure points which they let me sort out on the spot. Much better if you ask me.