Elec relays.

This is the place for posts that don't fit into any other category.

Moderator: RichardW

James.UK
My Cars:

Elec relays.

Post by James.UK »

I seem to recal, that as a lad, we used to run wires from the battery to a switch, then onto the light-whatever via a fuse.. So why does everything have relays now?? What are they for? what do they do? and why do we have them? :?

Please keep it simple, as my knowledge of electrics. is limited to knowing NOT to wet my fingers and stick em in a wall socket!! :oops: :D
James. (Nr M67 East of Manchester).
Dark Blue ZX 1.9D Auto 1994 'L' 5 dr (modified) Aura. 98K miles used daily. Ave mpg 40
Wedgewood Blue 75 CTD auto Connoissaur. 2002. 144k. used daily. ave mpg 40 ish.
martyhopkirk

Post by martyhopkirk »

Partly due to teh current draw of items like huge 55w lamps, fan motors etc - these days yu would need chunky cable and industrial switchgear to stop things from burning out.

The relays are there to prevent having a shed load of thick wires and chunky (expensive) switches.

Plus they add a bit more grief for things to go wrong!
bxbodger
My Cars:

Post by bxbodger »

My Vitesse, being from 1968,works in the way you describe-a dynamo and 2 fuses!! Everything is low wattage and, well, dim!!- One speed blower, 45watt lamps, etc. There are only 2 relays- one for the overdrive, and the starter solenoid.

Our Kia, being new, has about a million fuses in 3 seperate fuseboxes and powered everything.Relays are the price you pay for the luxury of electric everything, good lights, aircon, etc!

One of the reasons the BX has such rubbishy headlamps is that there's no relays and consequently thin wiring, which can't cope with much in the way of current. I keep meaning to put relays in, triggered by the existing wires, so the lamps can draw a heavier current- maybe this winter!!
uhn113x
My Cars: 1981 Dyane - on road all year round.
1982 GSA Pallas - on road April - September.
1997 ZX 1.9D Dimension.

Post by uhn113x »

Hi James
A relay is to switch a large current with a small one.

Car wiring has a finite resistance, that 'slows the current down'
The thinner and longer the wire, the more resistance.

Due to (the misquoted) Ohms Law, the voltage arriving at the wire becomes less, and the wire gets warm; the energy has to go somewhere.

If we have 2 x 55 watt headlights, that is 110w; at 14 volts, the current is 110/14 = 7.85 amps; the wire would have to be quite thick and short not to lose voltage. The light switch would get hot as well.

So, we stick in a relay in a short wire between the lights and the supply, and a thinner one to the relay from the switch; typically, about 1 amp or less would be enough.

Make sense?
Mike in West Yorks
1982 GSA Pallas
1982 Dyane
1997 ZX Dimension
bxbodger
My Cars:

Post by bxbodger »

The starter motor circuit is the best example- you have a thin wire from your starter switch to the starter solenoid, the low current through this thin wire operates the solenoid, which is really a relay by a different name, and connects the big thick wire from the battery to the other big thick wire to the starter motor.

The starter draws a huge current, which is why cheapo jump leads melt!! Imagine the size of the ignition switch if there was no relay.....it would have to be pretty big!!!

A picture paints a thousand words, or so they say-[/url]http://www.misterfixit.com/electrical_circuit.htm[url]
James.UK
My Cars:

Post by James.UK »

Interesting... Thanks for all the info... :D
James. (Nr M67 East of Manchester).
Dark Blue ZX 1.9D Auto 1994 'L' 5 dr (modified) Aura. 98K miles used daily. Ave mpg 40
Wedgewood Blue 75 CTD auto Connoissaur. 2002. 144k. used daily. ave mpg 40 ish.
batwad
My Cars:

Post by batwad »

Don't forget the safety aspect. I'd much rather put my key in the lock of a low-powered relay switch than something that connects directly with the feed to the central locking solenoid :shock: