Visa Gti sprint competition video

This is the place for posts that don't fit into any other category.

Moderator: RichardW

VisaGTi16v

Visa Gti sprint competition video

Post by VisaGTi16v »

As some of you on here may know by now, I compete in sprints and hillclimbs in an old Visa Gti. It was originally a Group N rally car but has been changed somewhat by myself. Its completelty stripped out and cut down, perspex etc and it has a ~175bhp Bx 16v engine it which coupled with the low weight makes it quite interesting, about 220bhp/ton. I did a sprint at North Weald airfield 2 weekends ago and manged 4th out of 13 in my class which is for modified production 1.4 to 2 litre and I just missed out on 3rd place by 0.1 seconds (!)
Reason for the post is that I borrowed my boss's video camera and mounted it on the roll cage to get some footage. Unfortunately I didnt know it was a widescreen one and I had it vertical so it looks a bit funny but it gives you an idea. I was quite happy with this run except at the end of one straight where the back kicked out on a bump under braking and then I out broke myself recovering it. The place really wasnt suited to my Visa as its too stiff and I was bouncing all over the place but it gives you an idea of what I do and how quick a Visa can move. I was 26th overall out of 69 which is my best yet in the dry bearing in mind there were tons of caterhams etc. I was 8 seconds off the quickest car which was a 750bhp twin turbo Metro 6R4!
Here is the video, I suggest you right click and save as due to it being 25megs http://homepages.nildram.co.uk/~visa/vi ... 1-2005.avi
Its encoded in DivX5.1 so you may need to download the codec to view it in Windows Media Player which you can get from http://www.free-codecs.com/DivX_Free_download.htm
Here is a rough picture of the track layout although some of the gates were further along http://www.sevenoaksmotorclub.com/iB_ht ... posed_.JPG
Sl4yer
My Cars:

Post by Sl4yer »

I'll definitely have a look when I get home (to a decent connection!). I'm sure lots of us would love to drive our cars the way you get to. (That's fast on a circuit, of course! [8D])
Kowalski
My Cars: Ex 05 C5 2.0 HDI Exclusive 145k
Ex 97 Xantia 1.9TD SX 144k
Ex 94 Xantia Dimension 1.9TD 199k

Post by Kowalski »

That car seems to understeer a bit, sounds like a tin can with it having no carpets or sound proofing.
TomH
My Cars:

Post by TomH »

lord knows how you know where you're going!!
VisaGTi16v

Post by VisaGTi16v »

Tracks ok as its quite short and you get to walk it before hand, couple of practise runs etc. Yer its stupidly loud, I have started wearing ear plugs when driving it to events! The best bit is being able to drive totally flat out at 100%. You cant do that on the road regarldess what people like road rallying navigational drivers think as its stupid and lethal except in a straight line over taking of course :)
As for the handling, correct, its understeering badly at the moment. The old front shocks were shot and I replaced them last weekend. There is no way it should understeer as much as it does with such a stiff rear end so hopefully it will be better now. Im running borderline road legal tyres as well for maximum grip, yokohama ao48r which are quite a soft compound. Depending on how much money I can save up before the start of next years events ie april time, I may go to Leda and get some of their decent shocks all round and new springs. I have some longer 309 gti lower arms to go on as soon as I get some 1.9 hubs and driveshafts which will give me some negative camber at the front. Considering its flaws im happy with it for now and 4/13 in class was ok
bikeboyz
My Cars:

Post by bikeboyz »

Darren you should head down to Castle Combe and get your Visa up against PSOOC's member with the Peugeot 104ZS :-)
104ZS
My Cars:

Post by 104ZS »

What, who me?
I used to own a visa Gti with an 8v 1.9 conversion, which was scarey in road trim so god knows what yours is like. I'd take the visa over the 205 anyday, far more individual, shame you can't have more than one random electrical item working at any one time on them.
btw, you probably suffer from too much stiffnes in too light a car. An lsd would help the handling no end, easy to source from a crashed 205 rally car I'd have thought. should make a world of difference.
Here's another ancient PSA group car hillclimbing. [:D]
VisaGTi16v

Post by VisaGTi16v »

yer and better rear suspension in my opinion. My electrics are ok, were horrendous at first. Well to tell the truth half the time I turn the ignition on the first stage the stop light doesnt come on, no idea why so I just have to keep an eye on the gauges! Not really thought about too much stiffness being an issue, as well as the roll cage the whole shell is stich welded as well so yes its very stiff. I would like an lsd but ive never seen one cheap. Anyone that has one knows what they are worth and if you had stuffed your car you would try and get back everything you could so price would still be high, about £450 new I think :( would solve a lot of my traction problems with the inside wheel. Bizarelly I get no more torque steer and my old standard 115bhp Visa??!
Nice samba! There are still a few of them around and early Visa's in a tarmac rally series that runs across Normandy in northern france.
Is the rear suspension on the 104/samba/visa all the same? I believe it is? If so do you know anywhere that sells decent rear shocks? I know spax did but not for years. I believe KYB used to list them but I tried contacting one of their dealers and had no reply
VisaGTi16v

Post by VisaGTi16v »

Where is that photo taken as the people in the car dont have overalls or anything and 1 has a comedy hat on much like one I own :p
104ZS
My Cars:

Post by 104ZS »

OK I'll let you off the samba thing. It's a 104ZS, shorter than a Samab, but the same mechanically. Yes the rear suspension is the same as a Visa, For suspension parts the best place to try is either http://104samba.free.fr/ and have a look on the competition parts or (better) http://rallye-forez.com/, click on the link materiel on the left and enter visa, 104 or samba in the search box. Normally a few suspension bits on there and cheaper than the UK for lsd's too!
104ZS
My Cars:

Post by 104ZS »

That's MY comedy hat!! It was taken at Prescott Hill in Cheltenham. The day was a non competitive PSOOC day hence no overalls and helmets. My ZS has adjustable Koni's with PTS group B tarmac springs all round. As you can see from the last picture (apart from getting the line all wrong) my car also has oversteer problems as it's all too stiff, but it works well on the track with longer sweeping corners.
martyhopkirk

Post by martyhopkirk »

Andrew - do me a lemon will you and resize your photos to 500 x 375 - ta - they have made me screen go wonky.
VisaGTi16v

Post by VisaGTi16v »

oops sorry didnt look at the grill for the badge heh! Adjustable konis on the rear? Give them me!! :D Going to check out those sites now thanks
VisaGTi16v

Post by VisaGTi16v »

I thought the rear was the same. Are 104 and sambas shorter wheelbase than a Visa though? What spring rate are you running at the back?
These look interesting. Arriere is rear isnt it?
Description : Vends amortisseurs Kony pour samba et visa.
Avant Ajustable 87-S-5048 804 SPF3.
Arriére Ajustable 82-2036 903-SPORT.
Utilisés sur route uniquement.
Prix : 200 €
must check this site out in depth tonight
bikeboyz
My Cars:

Post by bikeboyz »

Thats me in the passenger seat on the last piccy!