What car to get next?

This is the place for posts that don't fit into any other category.

Moderator: RichardW

adamskibx
My Cars:

Post by adamskibx »

WOW Matt that thing looks the business- whats it like? Does it have MOT etc? Shane, I would get a CX Turbo 2 but im not sure about the insurance costs!! Got a quote for a BX16V and it wasnt much more than my 19 D N/A BX so I know one of those is realistic- thing is im only 22 and have 3 points on my license from when I had a Dyane beleive it or not.
yangreen

Post by yangreen »

Could you get a CX on classic insurance? You might have to join CCC but some insurance companies do cheap cover for club members. That's how I was only paying £144 per year for a Rover V8!
Of course, you may not wish to depend on it as an everyday car. You need to get another Dyane for that and just enjoy the CX when it works! I wouldn't say the electrics are more reliable in a Dyane, there's just much less of them!
Jim_Reaper
My Cars:

Post by Jim_Reaper »

Mike has an Orange Dyane for sale... I'm soooooo tempted.
Stinkwheel

Post by Stinkwheel »

Adam,
not quite legal but not too much needed at all really, just a bit of time and effort on my part. Ian, the photo doesnt do it justice really, they look much better in the flesh(metal?) The space in the back of a prestige is amazing. All the toys too, leather, aircon, electric everything. Its amazing for a 1982 car.
I would advise a CX Turbo anyday really, but it must be a good one. We all know good ones are now thin on the ground and expensive. I used one as my everyday car when i was 19 through 21, big grin. Now I've added a few more years the automaic and the 2400 really are very nice.
Stinkwheel

Post by Stinkwheel »

Oh, and Jim Reaper, I would advise Mike's dyane also, I love dyanes :-)
turbolag

Post by turbolag »

An early 405 GRDt with the optional boot spoiler. Slightly odd euro looks, sublime seats, decent economy and, er, a spoiler.
kafkaian

Post by kafkaian »

Well with Birmingham seemingly about to pilot the national satellite congestion charging scheme, I'll await the devil in the detail before charging off and buying my next car - which was imminent.
dyaneboy123
My Cars:

Post by dyaneboy123 »

Jim Reaper..
If you fancy a dyane there is a nice Black one on ebay at the moment.
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll? ... :LCA:UK:31..
martyhopkirk

Post by martyhopkirk »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by dyaneboy123</i>

If you fancy a dyane there is a nice Black one on ebay at the moment.
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
Nice if you like that sort of thing, meself, I wants four seats in a car. Good luck with the sale.
yangreen

Post by yangreen »

I haven't got a stereo at all in my 2cv. You need a loud system to hear it at motorway speeds but I haven't found a way to do it yet that doesn't impact on the practical nature of the car. That and I'm lazy!
Would be kind of fun to own a car like that though. Get the roof off and play some JS Bach at full pelt!! Classical Chav!
DoubleChevron
My Cars:

Post by DoubleChevron »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by DoubleChevron</i>

You guys are so unkind... I'm gonna make you envious ... I'm about to go and take a piccie of my yard... You'll be how amazed how big the CX's look in it :)
seeya,
Shane L.
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
I warned you guys not to be unkind to the CX ... Slug indeed ...
We might not have the cheap cars here in Australia that you guys get over there ... But look how big the CX looks in our yards ...
This is my front yard ... Yes SWMBO (the vertically challanged angry one indoors) has told me the caravan MUST be shifted from there soon[V]
That's my CX in the drive, and my wifes Xantia under the carport
Now the backyard ......
Not so impressive is it ... But this is Australia, and one thing we have is space ... So if I stand at the gate in the backyard .... This is where my projects get stored ...
Yep, those cars are CX's, DS's, GS's, BX's .... The Renaults aren't mine I'm storing them temporarily for a friend.
Anyone want to cut some grass for me [:D] [}:)]
seeya,
Shane L.
PS: GET THE CX ... GET THE CX ... GET THE CX !!!!!!!!! Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image
ralph
My Cars:

Post by ralph »

[:0] Sweet Jesus Shane, you've got room there for a housing estate!
Stinkwheel

Post by Stinkwheel »

Shane you Bas***d.
Never realised you had that much space!!!!!
adamskibx
My Cars:

Post by adamskibx »

Haha your garden is superb Shane- Nice colour for a CX by the way. Im certainly going to look into CX's, and to be honest a good one will be easier to find than a good BX 16 v I reckon. Most of them have done in excess of 100,000 and need an expensive engine rebuild as theyve been thrashed. If I could find a good one thats been owned by an old person for its whole life then that would be great but even enthusiast owned ones are likely to have been thrashed and will still attract high values (in BX terms). I know of one 16V thats owned by a 70 year old art dealer where I used to live and its absolutely mint, but he's not plannikng to get rid of it any time soon unfortunately.
DoubleChevron
My Cars:

Post by DoubleChevron »

Yeah I agree, the abused BX 16valvers need an expensive, (very expensive) rebuild. However I've never yet heard of a CX turbo motor needing work, no matter how abused it is. They really are a low tech, seriously tough motor.
Far more of an issue with CX's (opposed to rebuild) is:
--rust (find one without a sunroof)
--lack of air-con ... Well you guys live in the UK, not really an issue
--electrical problems due to age and wiring connectors
--rear arm bearings/front balljoint/arm bushes etc....
Would you prefer one of these:
seeya,
Shane L.