Just musing - what does this mean?

This is the place for posts that don't fit into any other category.

Moderator: RichardW

uhn113x
My Cars: 1981 Dyane - on road all year round.
1982 GSA Pallas - on road April - September.
1997 ZX 1.9D Dimension.

Just musing - what does this mean?

Post by uhn113x »

The heading on the page - <b><i>A plain English non textspeak forum</b></i> - what does this actually mean? Jon?
I assume it is just a suggestion, as there is nothing that could really be enforced.
I have noticed for quite a long time that (dyslexics excepted) some posts are somewhat less than plain English, and textspeak does rear its head!
Just wondering........
vanny
My Cars:

Post by vanny »

it just means no txt spk i think, and English rather than any other language!
alan s
RIP 2010
My Cars:

Post by alan s »

We had occasions in the past where (particularly new members) would post regarding problems in such a manner that it was both frustrating and nigh on impossible to understand what they were trying to say.
Being that a good majority on here are what could be considered 'old farts' myself included, none of the regulars could be bothered spending the time to try to decipher what was being asked because half the time when we did respond, we had misunderstood the question and logic suggests that it's easier to answer a simple, well worded and punctuated posting than to spend half an hour trying to understand what all the symbols and abbreviations were, only to find further questions were then asked in like fashion so even more time was wasted.
In the opinion of many, again, myself included, if someone is requesting help but can't be bothered or are too lazy to offer the courtesy of asking it in normal acceptable sentences and at least try to explain what they want, then why should we waste time when this time could be better spent helping someone who has extended that courtesy. Biggest problem was though, that when they were ignored, they were the ones who usually became aggro because they were ignored, so as a courtesy to them, we have advised them at the head of the forum and if they are too lazy to read thia and go ahead and post in txtspk w/ no pnktashensand rarelyseperaTN wds; we can easily ignore them and point them at the notification advising that we speak English, not necessarily always the best, but we try; and the txtspk can be left in MacDonalds with the "fries."
Alan S
P.S. I go to pains to explain that this does not include people who do not have English as their first tongue and we always (speaking for myself) go to great pains to try to put hard to understand postings from those of other tongues into an understandable form and have no objections whatsoever doing that. Some of these speak a bloody sight better English and can express themselves better than some of us who have grown up with it, but to have someone who has English as their first tongue go to great lengths to try to make it hard if not impossible to understand is unacceptable.
Oscar Too
My Cars:

Post by Oscar Too »

Mike - it means a "pln nglsh 0txtspk 4m"
Obvious really : )
Oscar
uhn113x
1997 ZX 1.9D Dimension.

Post by uhn113x »

I think Alan has summed up exactly what my thoughts are; someone likened it to 'throwing paint at it'
Like Alan, if I have to try to decipher things, I just give up, so someone probably misses out on help and advice.
Johnno
(Donor 2022)
My Cars: C5 2.2 VTR + Nav 173
Mazda 6 2.2 Sports Nav Estate
Jaguar 3.8 MkII 1961
Ex 2007 C5 2.2 Estate
Ex 2003 C5 2.2 Estate
Ex Xantia 2.1 TD Exclusive
Ex BX 1.7 DTR
Ex BX 1.9 TRS

Post by Johnno »

Quite right, too. I sometimes despair at the standard of communication that leaves my place of work. I think the problem arises when individuals assume that the written word is no more than a record of an imaginary conversation and hence add all sorts of contextual aspects - forgetting that the reader can't see their gesticulations and body language!
As an aside, when I first came to this country - many years ago - in the days before mobile phones and texting, I remember noting in the "Women Seeking Men" column (I was just looking!) the repeated use of 'GSOH'. I thought it meant "Good Salary, Own Home"[:D]. You can imagine what a pack of grasping vixens I thought Englishwomen must be!
madasafish

Post by madasafish »

I concur. I also find the effort of phrasing something in writing so it is intelligible forces the writer to clarify his (or her) thought processes. Much text speak is badly thought out with missing information and just sheer laziness.
Another old "fart".
Oscar Too
My Cars:

Post by Oscar Too »

A young fart also agrees, despite my flippancy above. So much frustration is caused by poor communication, both to the listener who struggles to understand, and to the communicator, who struggles to express difficult concepts without having thought through their message or their vocabulary.
fastandfurryous
My Cars:

Post by fastandfurryous »

I am often irritated by the use of textspeak outside of text messages (and usually in them too, as I often misunderstand them), but also amazed that people find the need to use it. The whole point of textspeak is that it means you can say more in a limited number of characters. Out here on the 'net, and in the vast majority of the rest of the world, there isn't a 160 character restriction on you, so why on earth do people still write as if there was?
*adds himself to the list of old/young farts
batwad
My Cars:

Post by batwad »

Another young fart here! Poor communication belies so much more than laziness in the author, from ignorance to a lack of respect. The internet, for all its greatness, has forced people to communicate in words and unfortunately it seems that far too many people don't realise the subtlety, fragility and ambiguity of the written word.
I'd better stop before I digress into a snobbish rant! [:D] Suffice to say that this is one of the most friendly, jovial and eloquent forums I've ever read.
FrenchLeave
My Cars:

Post by FrenchLeave »

Agreed; and whilst we're on the subject, can someone please tell me what "lol" means?
Robin
My Cars:

Post by Robin »

Laughing out loud!
Too many years ago to admit to I used telex where we had a whole dictionary of abbreviations and the variety from from the States mixed with the UK ones gave us considerable room for doubt, misunderstanding and laughter. Like the EAP?
An Environmental awarenes panel. A window to the rest of the world. Best wishes all and a great forum, Robin.
uhn113x
1997 ZX 1.9D Dimension.

Post by uhn113x »

All these farts are causing a cloud of methane gas all over my laptop! [:D][:D]
tomsheppard
My Cars:

Post by tomsheppard »

Sounds like you could do with one of those that runs on a fuel cell Mike!
uhn113x
1997 ZX 1.9D Dimension.

Post by uhn113x »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by tomsheppard</i>

Sounds like you could do with one of those that runs on a fuel cell Mike!
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
Now, Tom, there's a thought; running a Dyane on baked beans! [;)][8D]