Injectors. Diesel. Lifespan.

This is the place for posts that don't fit into any other category.

Moderator: RichardW

James.UK
My Cars:

Injectors. Diesel. Lifespan.

Post by James.UK »

Hiya, [:)] I'm curios, [:I] how long is it reasonable to expect diesel injectors to go on working properly-well? How much do they each cost new? how much does it cost to have them reconditioned? and is it worth reconditioning them?

My car is running ok, (My car has a bosch pump) no known problems. [:)] But. the injectors may well have been in situ from new so have done a lot of work over a very long period. I just wondered if they normaly need replacing at some point, or is it a case of, "if it ain't broke don't try to mend it" ?? [:D]
Another quick question. The Mazda (made in Paris by a German called Fritz under a Swedish Patent [:I] [:D]) has only done 16.000 miles.. but. it's "R" reg, do you think I should get the cam belt changed due to its age? the belt loooks fine..
oilyspanner
My Cars:

Post by oilyspanner »

How long is a piece of string? some injectors can go on for ever, others start smoking, dripping and generally misbehaving, good fuel hygiene, filter changes occasional injector cleaner, veg oil, unleaded etc could see em go on for a long time, as for the mazda belt its possibly time expired but 16k is very little.
Stewart
yangreen

Post by yangreen »

Belts can perish. That said, I don't know what they made the one on my Audi out of but I believe it to be the original at 113k and after 18 years! Seems Audi didn't quote a cambelt change period apart from on the diesel.
I'm still untrusting so it's on the To Do list as soon as I can flog the Trooper.
Should have stuck with the 2cv. No cambelt. No radiator. No distributor. No thermostat (which I've just had to change on the Audi!).
Ian
madasafish

Post by madasafish »

I change belts every 5 years on Peugeot 106 if not changed before because of mileage. As I diy it's not expensive.
(on Fords which have better designs, it's 10 years or 100k miles... I will not change my Fiesta before that)
Kowalski
My Cars: Ex 05 C5 2.0 HDI Exclusive 145k
Ex 97 Xantia 1.9TD SX 144k
Ex 94 Xantia Dimension 1.9TD 199k

Post by Kowalski »

The injectors on my '94 Xantia TD are original and it's at 160k miles, it passes the MOT smoke test, doesn't smoke to excess so I'm not inclined to do anything with them. The '97 is on original untouched injectors too, but its only done 83k miles.
bxbodger
My Cars:

Post by bxbodger »

I did mine for the last MOT, which was at 217000 miles- It was starting to get a bit smoky at full throttle and the usual fixes of a new filter and oil change weren't helping much and It gets an Italian tune up twice a day on the motorway as well.
When I got the old ones out, which were the originals (Bosch) that it left the factory with (I have the full service history-I know every sphere and lightbulb its ever had....), they had recessed a bit around the needle tips and the difference with the new injectors is that there is no visible smoke at all, even in following cars headlight's, and it sailed the smoke test with a very low reading, going straight through on quick-pass, whereas at the previous years test it had needed the repeated revving and full smoke test.
Interestingly, its made not a blind bit of difference to the MPG, though.
So, in my case, anyway, I would say that diesel injectors have at least a 200,000 mile life, but they are still a consumeable, just long term, and taken over the lifetime of a diesel car, which is appreciably longer than a petrol engine, thats not a bad deal, and a whole lot cheaper than spark-plugs!!!!!
I'd do the cambelt- they are age sensative as well as miles sensative- having said that, I've seen Pinto engines that have never had a belt change in 20 years, I think its down to the engine, it may be wise to look for a Mazda forum where there are people who know the motor!
James.UK
My Cars:

Post by James.UK »

Okie dokie. The injectors will remain unchanged [^], but I will try to persuade the lady to have the cam belt changed in the near future.. [8)] hmm she hates parting with money though, it wont be easy. [8D] lol.
jeremy
My Cars:

Post by jeremy »

Cambelts are a bit different on Pinto engines as on many (2 litres as used on Cortinas certainly) they do no damage if they fail so going on till it drops off is an option. (had the teeth fall off one on a Cortina 200GT - 80,000 miles sticks in my mind but it was years ago)
The injectors on my BX TD were overhauled at about 170,000 (which might be genuine) for MOT purposes - it made a world of difference - the cold start timing mechanism was noticeable for the first time as it stopped hunting when cold and actually had a slightly faster (and very smooth) idle. It felt much quicker and I didn't need to change gear so often - in fact absolutely excellent for 18 miles till it blew the head gasket between 2 cylinders!
Fresh injectors may have improved the fuel consumption a bit but there again i may drive it faster. Its always struck me as very good on fuel although I can't claim the exceptional figures some people quote.
Jeremy