YOBS

This is the place for posts that don't fit into any other category.

Moderator: RichardW

bernie
My Cars:

YOBS

Post by bernie »

I'm fed up with yobbish behaviour.
Kids mouthing F*** off.
Yob drivers pushing in, then unleash a torrent of abuse when you beep your horn.
I'm getting out of this country and leave it to the scum
Stinkwheel

Post by Stinkwheel »

I would basically agree with your points Bernie,
Only problem is, unless you have big money to spend for somewhere out the way many countries are very similar.
yangreen

Post by yangreen »

You don't have to move country. My life has improved incredibly since moving out of Birmingham out into the scenic countryside of Northants. I don't encounter traffic jams on my journey to work either! You can't escape them totally though and driving a 2cv, you tend to get picked on more than people in bland machinery!
Stinkwheel

Post by Stinkwheel »

Very true Ian,
There is something to be said for sleepy backwaters, have a similar feel in the place i live, used to be in Northampton itself and now find it way too noisy/busy and dont even talk to me about the trips to birmingham/london etc.
bernie
My Cars:

Post by bernie »

Sorry about the rant but these yobs seem to be on the increase.
I firmly believe that Thatcher started the rot 26 years ago.
The self, self atitude and bugger anyone else, unfortunatly we are now into 2nd generation and it's getting worse.
Again sorry but I have to get it off my chest
Ross_K
Lexia Available: Yes
My Cars: 2009 Citroen C5 VTR+ HDi 1.6
2004 Toyota Prius
2004 Alfa Romeo 156 1.6 Twin Spark

Post by Ross_K »

Yep bernie, I with you on that one. I'm getting the hell out of this godforsaken place next month. I've had enough of traffic jams, people looking after number one, and yobbo scum. [}:)]
Last one out turn off the lights...
Stempy
My Cars: C5 V6 Mk1 assainated by wife
Renault Kangoo 1.6 auto, tarted up and remapped
Still missing the Xantia V6
Not missing the AX

Post by Stempy »

Can I come with you? Britain is no longer great. No one has any respect these days. In fact, I think the only nice people left are on this forum[8D]
Forth
My Cars:

Post by Forth »

People in northwest Cumbria are mostly still helpful and polite.... wondering how long before the <spit>government</spit> puts a stop to that.
Kowalski
My Cars: Ex 05 C5 2.0 HDI Exclusive 145k
Ex 97 Xantia 1.9TD SX 144k
Ex 94 Xantia Dimension 1.9TD 199k

Post by Kowalski »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by bernie</i>

I firmly believe that Thatcher started the rot 26 years ago.
The self, self atitude and bugger anyone else, unfortunatly we are now into 2nd generation and it's getting worse.
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
I've heard Thatcher blamed for a lot of things but yobs have been around longer than Thatcher, and the "self" attitude has been around a lot longer than that.
Thatcher did sack the miners and I agree with what she did, why should my taxes be paying miners wages? The striking miners were the ones calling the working miners scabs, not the other way around, and it was that that caused a lot of mining communities to be split.
Where would the country be today if the Thatcher government had not come in? We were amongst the poorest in Europe before her.
I agree that nobody likes putting up with yobs, but they're a fact of life and there is not a whole lot you can do about them, stand your ground and don't let them get to you.
j_roc

Post by j_roc »

When (and if) Yobs grow up and mature into respecatable adults, we can revell in the fact that some yobbo dishes out the same amount of grief and abuse to them. A comforting thought.
Ross_K
Lexia Available: Yes
My Cars: 2009 Citroen C5 VTR+ HDi 1.6
2004 Toyota Prius
2004 Alfa Romeo 156 1.6 Twin Spark

Post by Ross_K »

Ah, if only there really was such a thing as karma j_roc... [:)]
bxbodger
My Cars:

Post by bxbodger »

May I suggest some further reading-'Hooligan-a history of respectable fears', by Geoffrey Pearson, a criminologist. I'm not sure if its now in print but it basically demonstrates that every generation has a mythical golden age a few years back, but in fact its always been grim on the streets- yobs, hoodies, and their predessesors have always been there!!!
You have Georgian period Morlock gangs, a whole lot more aggressive and fearsome than todays weedy little hoodie (they were known for putting victims in barrels and setting fire to them.....while poking them with swords), or you can delve into Dickens or Henry Mayhew for picaresque descriptions of street criminality in Victorian times....how about the fifties and sixties then- 40 years ago- well the first big news story I can remember being aware of as a kid was Harry Roberts shooting 3 coppers and driving over one of them while he was still alive!!!The 70's then- the heyday of Football Hooliganism!!
Do you know which European country has the biggest graffiti problem?? Switzerland!!!! The place is covered in it, every wall going virtually, so leaving the UK may not quite be the panacea people expect..... We live in a pretty law abiding society today compared to 100,200, or 300 years ago, but yobbery and antisocial behaviour has always been with us and always will be!!
tomsheppard
My Cars:

Post by tomsheppard »

One: You don't need big money to get out. I have revoked my Englishness because the country has done nothing to make me proud of it for years. I now regard myself as an economic migrant. France is home. Quite a nice one. Little crime, well parented children and houses fron £20k.
Why stay here?
Two: go and sit in the BX Bernie; you need to cool down:-)
bernie
My Cars:

Post by bernie »

Wise words Tom, wise words
bernie
My Cars:

Post by bernie »

I don't dissagree that yob culture has been around since the year dot but it IS perceivably getting worse.