POOR MW/LW RADIO RECEPTION

This is the place for posts that don't fit into any other category.

Moderator: RichardW

THELABMAN
My Cars:

POOR MW/LW RADIO RECEPTION

Post by THELABMAN »

Hi folks,
I recntly replaced my factory fitted radio and 6 disc cd changer as the changer was defunct with a Kenwood WDC4031 cd/mp3/wma unit which is absoloutlely superb.
I bought the unit from Argos and it was fitted free by Hyde Park Cornner who done an excellent job, and they supplied the facia adaptor and steering wheel control for an extremely erasonable £17.50. The only problem I have is compared to the old unit I have no MW/LW radio reception or at least very faint.
The installation engineer is arranging to return on Friday with an aerial booster to see if this will help but I somehow have my doubts, what I want to know is has anyone else had this problem and what did you do resolve it.
Thanks in advance
Peter
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

I would guess that the aerial is not well optimised for AM reception, being optimal for FM reception. Years back car radios always had a little adjustable trimmer capacitor to tune the aerial for optimal AM reception and this was always a very critical adjustment. I have not listened to an AM broadcast in the car for donkeys now so I don't know if this still applies but is worth a look. Most modern car aerials though will be very inefficient on AM due to their small physical size and the liklihood of built-in pre-amps and filters tailored to FM reception. The answer may even lie in fitting a better (longer) aerial.
One last thought, you may try the effect of having the aerial vertical to see if this helps reception. Back in the heyday of Radio 1 and Radio 2 being on AM I seem to recall all car aerials were both long and vertical. Those of us who succummed to the vandal and used a coat hanger as a substitute found subsequent reception very poor until a new aerial was fitted. Earthing of the aerial is also very critical for good AM reception.
Hope that helps a little...
THELABMAN
My Cars:

Post by THELABMAN »

Hi Jim,
Thanks for the reply and the suggestions, car in question is my Xantia with the roof mounted aerial just above the windscreen, the owners manual states the optimal angle for reception is the same angle as the winsdcreen, but I've tried it pointing straight up to no avail. Touching the aerial has also has no impact which usually improves reception slightly if the aerial is badly earthed, I even tried a new longer mast but to no avail.
The most annoying thing is that the old radio had perfect reception, I suppose I'm just going to have to wait to this booster is fitted and take it from there, it was just that the fitter didn't exactly fill me with confidence that this was going to cure the problem, like you I don't listen to MW an awfull lot but I would like it to work.
Thanks again and any more suggestions gladly welcome.
Peter
dnsey

Post by dnsey »

Many radios have an aerial trimmer, which should be adjusted using a non-metallic tool for best AM reception - it can make a big difference.
bxbodger
My Cars:

Post by bxbodger »

They don't seem to come with trimmers these days!!
I think its just going to be a faulty unit-they are mass produced by the million in china and the odd one will get through. It certainly shouldn't need an "aeriel booster" if its working properly!!!
THELABMAN
My Cars:

Post by THELABMAN »

Hi Folks,
Well manual certainly makes no mention of a trimmer nad I never tok unit of box before it was fitted so cant say either way, will give booster a try and if no luck it looks as if it is back to Argos for a replacement....thats if any left in stock as it was going for under £67....and I got mine fitted free for that.....so maybe shouldn't complain to much
Thanks anyway for the help and sugestions, much appreciated I can assure you.
Peter
Ross_K
Lexia Available: Yes
My Cars: 2009 Citroen C5 VTR+ HDi 1.6
2004 Toyota Prius
2004 Alfa Romeo 156 1.6 Twin Spark

Post by Ross_K »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by THELABMAN</i>
car in question is my Xantia with the roof mounted aerial just above the windscreen, the owners manual states the optimal angle for reception is the same angle as the winsdcreen, but I've tried it pointing straight up to no avail.<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
Yep, mine's the same. I have thought about trying to fit a longer ZX-type aerial, but I think the problem is electrical rather being down to the aerial size. My MW/LW reception goes out the window totally when the wipers or fans are operating.
mezuk04
My Cars:

Post by mezuk04 »

You dont need radio, there's never anything good on it nowadays...oh apart from yesteday oh yes yesteday now that was funny heheheehe just a giggle that was yesteday, but as i said never much on radio so your not missing much [:p]
jeremy
My Cars:

Post by jeremy »

Well That may be your opinion - theres a test match on LW today - and I've just replaced my LW set with one without it!
Jeremy
THELABMAN
My Cars:

Post by THELABMAN »

Hi Ross K,
Your problem sounds a bit like mine, even when I'm fortunate enough to get a weak signal it goes com[letely out the winow if I start the car or switch anything on.
As I said earlier I have tried a much longer aeriel mast from Halfords but it made no difference what so ever, I don't listen to MW much just ocasionaly the local radio for traffic reports, it is just so annoying the factory fitted unit worked with no noticable problem.
Peter
Stuart McB
My Cars:

Post by Stuart McB »

Guy at work had this exact same prob on his new Picasso. After several months of to and frow from the dealers he went to another Cit dealer. This new dealer said it was a common problem and that an easy repair would be needed. The answer given was "Aerial" pack replaced. Problem solved. AM amd LW all crystal clear. Apparently they do somthing with the aerial input socket.
bxbodger
My Cars:

Post by bxbodger »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">My MW/LW reception goes out the window totally when the wipers or fans are operating.<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
You need to delve into the long lost art of suppression!! Back in the days when MW/LW was the main medium, and electrical systems were a bit cruder, Haynes manuals used to have pages and pages on interference suppression- soldering capacitors onto the various motors, etc, which reminds me, I can now hear interference from my blower motor......
With the advent of modern electronic systems suppression is all built in now but on older cars its not. AM/LW do still have their place, if like Jeremy you want the cricket, and they are also good for when you go out of FM reception range, such as over to France.
I still think yours is just going to be a faulty unit, Labman.
Ross_K
Lexia Available: Yes
My Cars: 2009 Citroen C5 VTR+ HDi 1.6
2004 Toyota Prius
2004 Alfa Romeo 156 1.6 Twin Spark

Post by Ross_K »

Thanks for the pointer bxbodger. I'll look into getting a suppressor. I need to take the radio out anyway to replace some blown bulbs... [:D]
THELABMAN
My Cars:

Post by THELABMAN »

Hi,
well mine sure is beggining to sound like a faulty unit, however I sure as heck hope not as I really like the unit and can't replace it at the price I paid for it, so will just wait and see when this booster is fitted and take it from there.
Thanks everyone
Peter
j_roc

Post by j_roc »

Many years ago, we had a mk 2 1984 Fiesta Popular Plus. Faye was always complaining about it not having a radio fitted, so I obtained a radio cassette unit from Ford, along with the wing aerial and all wiring. Things were great untill we went up into the mountains (we live in Wales) and reception was lost or went really poor. By chance I happened to mention this to my dad, who suggested fitting a Ford amplifier, the same unit thats used on the Orion and Sierra Ghia. The amplifier is built into the rear window heating elements - no wing mounted aerial. After a lot of fiddling around with fitting it (in the boot apeture) and removing the aerial on the wing - the reception of the radio was much, much better.
To cut a long story short - I dont know how you stand on fitting Ford parts to a Citroen car??? But it could be a possible idea?