New lawn, any gardners?

This is the place for posts that don't fit into any other category.

Moderator: RichardW

Kowalski
My Cars: Ex 05 C5 2.0 HDI Exclusive 145k
Ex 97 Xantia 1.9TD SX 144k
Ex 94 Xantia Dimension 1.9TD 199k

Post by Kowalski »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by jeremy</i>

170 amp's a big mig - what are you hoping to do with it? - structual steelwork? You will probably need a heavy duty supply or something for it if its going to be used to capacity.
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
My Dad runs his little welder (a 210 amp MIG) off a 13 amp plug, it is at the limit of what you can do on a 13 amp plug if not above it. He had to upgrade the circuit breakers in the garage to stop it tripping out, I think the trip in the distribution box is a 36amp one now.
The wiring in his garage is all very heavy, he has 3 phase electricity in his garage to run the lathe, pillar drill, compressor and his big arc welder.
martyhopkirk

Post by martyhopkirk »

Lawns to valves to Shippping Containers for sheds.
Sheeeeeesh!
Forth
My Cars:

Post by Forth »

Yes, the 170 dual Mig would be used for structural (just for a start, got a quote for a plinth for a heating oil tank, it was so expensive I decided to just diy weld one up, and still have a few quid plus the machine afterwards) as well as lighter stuff.
Few years ago had a 130 mig (not gasless) which seems about all that a standard house supply could cope with.
But the present location has a seriously iffily installed supply to start with (which United Utilities are going to have to get their corporate fingers out and sort quickly, or much bother will ensue). Once that's been fixed, the 170 (25amp supply required) would be run off a 30amp supply circuit of its own.
Re the containers... probably ok with planning as its round the back of the property, but unfortunately a big container might prove to be a no-go anyway because of a site access problem. Not greatly impressed by either the prices or the specs of steel or prefab concrete (apparently can't even bolt stuff onto the walls of the latter) garages and sheds on offer though, so unsure what to do now.
Maybe just get a local builder to do one in breezeblock. I did notice one container company has a ply-lined secondhand aluminium one listed (but the same possible access prob arises again), anyway just a a point of curiosity would the condensation problem have been less with using ally instead of steel?
Btw, driving past on Thursday noticed a shop in Carlisle that's been set up inside a steel shipping container. Don't know if it's a permanent thing, or maybe their premises got flooded out earlier this year.
uhn113x
My Cars: 1981 Dyane - on road all year round.
1982 GSA Pallas - on road April - September.
1997 ZX 1.9D Dimension.

Post by uhn113x »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by jeremy</i>

170 amp's a big mig - what are you hoping to do with it? - structual steelwork? <hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
Forth is going to weld his shelf brackets on the shed wall! ;)
uhn113x
My Cars: 1981 Dyane - on road all year round.
1982 GSA Pallas - on road April - September.
1997 ZX 1.9D Dimension.

Post by uhn113x »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by martyhopkirk</i>

Lawns to valves to Shippping Containers for sheds.
Sheeeeeesh!
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
And thence to Swindon, Marty! [:D] Like it!
Forth - if you need any info on your radio, PM me. I am sure I spotted a scary looking padlock winging its way across the A65......[;)][;)]