Robot Wars

This is the place for posts that don't fit into any other category.

Moderator: RichardW

ACTIVE8
My Cars:

Robot Wars

Post by ACTIVE8 »

I enjoyed this programme, and it was fun to see the designs people would come up with, and who would win. So what happened to it, because it was popular, and had a early evening slot on the BBC, and then it stopped.
I know that Mentorn T.V. were the company making it, has the programme now gone to the highest bidder from another channel, or is just not being made any more. Yes, I know it has not been on terrestial T.V. for a while, but I am curious about what became of it.
Did any/many other forum members watch it, and has it aired abroad, and been seen elsewhere ?
My other reason I liked it was the mechanical engineering that people took the time and trouble to design, and develop.
bxbodger
My Cars:

Post by bxbodger »

Its on the cable channels a lot, but I can't tell if they are new ones or repeats!!
vanny
My Cars:

Post by vanny »

Your on the right lines ACTIVE8, robot wars went off to the highest bidder, and can you guess which chanel it was?
Yep, channel 5!
http://www.five.tv/home/frameset/?content=4465691
On the plus side it still has Craig Charles but now accompanied by Jane Middlemiss, much better to look at but i bet she doesn't get into it as much!
bxbodger
My Cars:

Post by bxbodger »

Craig Charles is a genius- he must have voiced over about 22 million episodes of Takeshi's Castle, and STILL sounds entheusiastic!!
ACTIVE8
My Cars:

Post by ACTIVE8 »

So, I take it that they might be filming soon, if not even as we speak, and that we could see the new series on Channel 5 at some point.
ACTIVE8
My Cars:

Post by ACTIVE8 »

It's good to hear that Craig Charles is still presenting it.
mezuk04
My Cars:

Post by mezuk04 »

The first few series were good, but after that it got very boring and games (fights) got dull with no imagination
Kowalski
My Cars: Ex 05 C5 2.0 HDI Exclusive 145k
Ex 97 Xantia 1.9TD SX 144k
Ex 94 Xantia Dimension 1.9TD 199k

Post by Kowalski »

I remember when hypno disc was new, it was hilarious watching it absolutely destroy every robot that it came up against....
mezuk04
My Cars:

Post by mezuk04 »

they were the days
yangreen

Post by yangreen »

Has anyone see the eposide of the FANTASTIC comedy series Spaced that features a Robot Wars battle? Very, very funny!
"Welcome to Robot Club. The first rule of Robot Club is, you don't talk about Robot Club. The second rule of Robot Club is, you don't talk about...sorry, I got that wrong. The second rule is no smoking."
A wonderful comedy series. A BX was used as a Taxi in one episode.
yangreen

Post by yangreen »

Actually, that makes me wonder. Any other famous BX moments? I've just discovered that a much-chopped one was used in the filming of Lord of the Rings...
bxbodger
My Cars:

Post by bxbodger »

There's the one used by the serial killer in 'Spoorloos' to carry the bodies around.......not to be confused with the rubbish hollywood remake 'the vanishing'......
Theres also one driven 24 hrs a day by Koreans in 'Taxi'.
ACTIVE8
My Cars:

Post by ACTIVE8 »

Well at some point the new series will return, [:D] [8D] and I for one am looking forward to it. I think one of the problems previously was that they kept on repeating the programmes on the B.B.C. so it was a pain to keep track of if it was a new programme, or yet another repeat. Consequently it was hardly ever off the B.B.C.
It has been off screen for too long now !
Come on Channel 5, let's see some more new Robot Wars programmes please ! [:)]