London subway explosion

This is the place for posts that don't fit into any other category.

Moderator: RichardW

Kowalski
My Cars: Ex 05 C5 2.0 HDI Exclusive 145k
Ex 97 Xantia 1.9TD SX 144k
Ex 94 Xantia Dimension 1.9TD 199k

Post by Kowalski »

I agree with Homer here, ID cards solve nothing, if you let terrorists into the country being able to tell who they are after they've killed people is little consolation. After they're in the country and about to plant their bomb, a police dog that is trained to find explosives is far more useful.
vanny
My Cars:

Post by vanny »

I have three ID cards as it is and have to present at least one of them pretty much everyday! If i could have one single one that was more secure AND could be used instead of carrying small amounts of cash about, then im all for it!
Forth
My Cars:

Post by Forth »

...... till it got lost, duplicated or cancelled by some bureaucrat or computer error (at which point "you" would no longer exist)....
vanny
My Cars:

Post by vanny »

i'd still exist just fine, i have duplicates of everything, two passports, two NI numbers, dollars, euros, sterling, proper secret agent style! I'd be just fine :D
though to be honest in this day and age EVERYTHING is on computer, so if someone wanted you gone it's just a case of deleting the information, and really, how often does that actually happen?
bxbodger
My Cars:

Post by bxbodger »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">two NI numbers<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
Not different ones, I hope[:0].........If they are, i may be knocking on your door one early morning.....[|)]
vanny
My Cars:

Post by vanny »

dual national so yes they are very different, countries apart in fact! Nice way to take a tax break i guess!
Slightly more on the topic, i got back from a weekend in london late last night! Finally tracked Lauren down and went and met her, not the best of timing, but it was a good weekend! Stayed in Bayswater again and got the brown line into charring cross(?). To be honest you would never know anything had happened! There wasn't much talk about it, but there was a weird silence about the place and town was dead in the evening, even west end. Well i guess above all London as a whole doesn't seem to have been slowed by it, though its clearly on the back of everyones minds!
I feel sorry for those trying to get the lines clear, it must be one god awefull job. I've been out in the sun all day lifting and shifting in the garden and it was horrible enough, god only knows how those guys feel!
tomsheppard
My Cars:

Post by tomsheppard »

Hear, hear.
demag
(Donor 2016)
My Cars: "H" Citroen Bx Tgs Automatic.
2006 Toyota Prius T4 Gen 2.

Post by demag »

Been away for a few days. I'm not trying to dodge the issue.
Forth, refering to your earlier post, do you really think we will get to the big brother stage with cameras in the house etc?
I think if we do it is light years away yet and I probably won't be around to see it. Remember Big Brother was set in 1984 and we're 21 years beyond that now. We still live in a democracy (just!) and our way of life hasn't changed that drastically in the last few decades.
As mentioned ID cards maybe wouldn't have helped in London last week, but I think the general idea has to be sound. It's a known fact that this government has grossly understated the amount of imigrants (both legal and illegal) in this country. My personal opinion is, if I had to carry a small card to prove my identity, I wouldn't mind.
Forth
My Cars:

Post by Forth »

<i><font color="red">We still live in a democracy (just!) and our way of life hasn't changed that drastically in the last few decades.</font id="red"></i>
It has, but bit by bit -- so far, a relentless erosion rather than landslip.
That may be on the point of changing, accelerating, and not for the better.
Just why should you be forced to continually prove your identity to a new breed of Stazi apparachiks within your own country, and who to, and for who's good? Does the Government exist to serve the population, or does the population exist to serve the State?
Contemporary inversion of common-sense, just as with so-called "law-n-order" where it seems to now be you who could be in trouble if a mugger happened to sprain his wrist while hitting you.