London subway explosion

This is the place for posts that don't fit into any other category.

Moderator: RichardW

406 V6
My Cars:

London subway explosion

Post by 406 V6 »

Anyone from here got caught in this?
Take care, guys
bxbodger
My Cars:

Post by bxbodger »

Luckily, no...I don't get down as far as Aldgate in my work, only as far as Stratford, but I have just got back into my office in Leytonstone and there is a LOT of emergency services traffic going townwards past my window.
yangreen

Post by yangreen »

My mate decided to work in Brum instead today. Wise choice.
Forth
My Cars:

Post by Forth »

interesting news item re blasts....
==================================
http://www.israelnationalnews.com/news.php3?id=85346
Arutz Sheva: IsraelNationalNews.com
Report: Israel Was Warned Ahead of First Blast
13:30 Jul 07, '05 / 30 Sivan 5765
(IsraelNN.com) Army Radio quoting unconfirmed reliable sources reported a
short time ago that Scotland Yard had intelligence warnings of the attacks
a short time before they occurred.
The Israeli Embassy in London was notified in advance, resulting in Finance
Minister Binyamin Netanyahu remaining in his hotel room rather than make
his way to the hotel adjacent to the site of the first explosion, a Liverpool
Street train station, where he was to address and economic summit.

At present, train and bus service in London have been suspended following
the series of attacks. No terrorist organization has claimed
responsibility at this time.

Israeli officials stress the advanced Scotland Yard warning does not in
any way indicate Israel was the target in the series of apparent terror
attacks.

ends
Stempy
My Cars: C5 V6 Mk1 assainated by wife
Renault Kangoo 1.6 auto, tarted up and remapped
Still missing the Xantia V6
Not missing the AX

Post by Stempy »

Lucky to miss it as I was up there right in the middle of that area yesterday.
kid
My Cars:

Post by kid »

Win Olympics yesterday - London blown to pieces today, a coincidence?
Looks like the French did themselves a favour by losing.
Having said all that the planning of these attacks is almost perfect and makes stopping them difficult.
TomH
My Cars:

Post by TomH »

may have had something to do with G8 summit too, and the timing isn't good... 1500 Met officers sent up to Scotland
chaos. How are these people going to get home?
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

I picked up two very sombre young daughters from school this afternoon. My youngest in particular was very upset by it all. She asked if it was the French who did it because we won the Olypmics and she was very puzzled as to why one of our allies and friends would do such a terrible thing just because they lost. Clearly M. Chirac's gastronomic comments recently must have got to her and she made a tenuous connection.
Many explanations, a trip into town and a meal out and she was happier..
What a world. When it affects our children it is not good. A very sad day.
Forth
My Cars:

Post by Forth »

After a short time, the government will no doubt start trying to use these bombings as a (bogus) pretext for imposing their ID cards and more surveillance of everyone -- including chipped-car road pricing tracker systems -- as well....
As if things aren't bad enough as it is.
demag
(Donor 2016)
My Cars: "H" Citroen Bx Tgs Automatic.
2006 Toyota Prius T4 Gen 2.

Post by demag »

You know I have to say I think ID cards are ok. If you have nothing to hide then what's the problem. It's only like carrying your passport around and if it helps catch undesirables then I am all for it.
Yes I agree with the other comments about chipped car tax etc. But Tony Blair thinks he is the only one capable of running this country and Europe.
If he likes it that much why doesn't he move to Brussels like Mr Kinnock.
Forth
My Cars:

Post by Forth »

<font color="red"><i>"ID cards are ok. If you have nothing to hide then what's the problem"</i></font id="red">
If you have nothing to hide... so of course by the same logic you wouldn't mind routinely filling in forms to account for everything you did each minute of this week, or a State surveillance camera in every room of your house, or (later down the line) even your thoughts being monitored... because of course the politicians and their various assorted apparachiks exist purely to serve you and to obey your wishes, and could be totally trusted to never ever even dream of usurping the freedom of you or your fellow citizens/subjects..... And if your reaction is "no way", then what are you hiding?
But "the innocent have nothing to fear" .... sad to say, the briefest perusal of all recorded history would suggest that notion (promoted by whoever are the rulers) rather seldom holds true.
Forth
My Cars:

Post by Forth »

<font color="blue">When Ken Livingstone or his government buddies use a phrase like "you can't kill freedom" it isn't a statement of principle, it's a demarcation dispute.</font id="blue">
James.UK
My Cars:

Post by James.UK »

Hmmm, I don't have any objection to I/D cards. I think there is an increasing need for them..
Did the bombings in London really take months of carefull planning and a large organisation to carry them out? Or. as I believe, could it have been done by two people traveling across town and simply leaving packages behind them?
Most terrorists know how to make a small powerfull bomb with a timer on it. How simple would it be to hop on a bus, place a bomb under a seat, and get off at the next stop. the same thing applies to using the tube. (underground) There is no way to defend against that kind of thing, we are all going to have to be vigilant and learn live with it..
I do think all the publicity given to this kind of event by the media borders on being criminal, the people that did this must be rubbing there hands in glee as the foolish TV channels pump out more and more gruesome facts and really try to hype this into a megga megga news item. [}:)] I personally think this kind of thing should come under "national security rules" and as little information given to the media as possible..
Fortunately my sister, (who lives in London N1) was out of town on a coach trip with friends yesterday when the bombs went off and did not get back untill late in the evening..
Homer
My Cars: Current:
Volvo V60 D4 180

Previous:
BX16RS (two of),
BX19TZI,
Xantia 2.0i saloon,
Xantia 2.0 Exclusive CT turbo Break,
Peugeot 807 2.0 HDi 110,
Renault Grand Scenic, 2.0 diesel (150bhp)
C5 X7 2.0 HDi 160 which put me off French cars possibly forever

Post by Homer »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by James.UK</i>

Hmmm, I don't have any objection to I/D cards. I think there is an increasing need for them..
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
Go on then. Explain how they would have helped or how they will help anyone apart from the companies who will be payed hundreds of billions of pounds to attempt to make the system work.
Would it not be better to spend hundreds of billions of pounds on the police and emergency services?
I would much rather hand over £100 if I knew it was going toward an air ambulance than a bit of plastic which will be of marginal use for scraping ice off the windscreen if we are lucky.
James.UK
My Cars:

Post by James.UK »

Homer. that's off topic.. Maybe you would like to open a new one if you think its of interest..