Would car insurance policies cover G8 kerfuffles?

This is the place for posts that don't fit into any other category.

Moderator: RichardW

Forth
My Cars:

Would car insurance policies cover G8 kerfuffles?

Post by Forth »

Watching the G8-related scuffles on tv (I'd decided to avoid Edinburgh altogether this week), just wondered.... what happens with anyone's insurance if their car gets damaged during such civil unrest -- is it covered?
Ross_K
Lexia Available: Yes
My Cars: 2009 Citroen C5 VTR+ HDi 1.6
2004 Toyota Prius
2004 Alfa Romeo 156 1.6 Twin Spark

Post by Ross_K »

My insurance doesn't cover acts of war or riots - I'd say most policies are the same.
You know what insurance companies are like... Any excuse not to cough up.
martyhopkirk

Post by martyhopkirk »

So, you tell them it was parked at the railway station and had been vandelised as a result of a suspected attempted theft[;)]
Ross_K
Lexia Available: Yes
My Cars: 2009 Citroen C5 VTR+ HDi 1.6
2004 Toyota Prius
2004 Alfa Romeo 156 1.6 Twin Spark

Post by Ross_K »

That's fine you just have a couple of broken windows. Different story if the car is turned upside-down and torched, or has a park bench (which seems to have been the weapon of choice yesterday) chucked through the windscreen... [:p]
bxbodger
My Cars:

Post by bxbodger »

I believe there is some sort of civil damages scheme that you can claim compensation from if a riot situation occurs. Its also how you get your front door fixed if the police break it down by mistake, that sort of thing.
Riot has a precise legal definition, involving the reading of the riot act, etc- if thats not done then its a disturbance, and if you have fully comp you should be covered for any criminal damage that results.
Here we go-http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/1516933.stm, yes, it does seem you could get compensated for any damage!!!Need a respray? Leave your car parked near Gleneagles.....
Forth
My Cars:

Post by Forth »

Interesting.... so a Police force itself might effectively end up being penalised unless they understated the gravity of a civil-unrest situation (not applicable to the present Edinburgh, but if somthing went off like was in Genoa).
<i><font color="red">Just musing while looked at the scenes... if by some quirk of the space-time probability continuum (phew... 'scuse me while I lie down) I was a police chief, reckon I'd have police horses selected trained and kitted out along the lines of the war-horses used by the ancient Knights Templar. For use on the G8 attendees as well as the "protestors", of course.</font id="red"></i>
Kowalski
My Cars: Ex 05 C5 2.0 HDI Exclusive 145k
Ex 97 Xantia 1.9TD SX 144k
Ex 94 Xantia Dimension 1.9TD 199k

Post by Kowalski »

Did you never see the film of cavalry charges against the miners?
That was basically a medieval battle, armoured knights on horseback with clubs versus infantry with clubs and bricks.