ZX MOT.

This is the place for posts that don't fit into any other category.

Moderator: RichardW

James.UK
My Cars:

ZX MOT.

Post by James.UK »

I had my ZX mot'd on Tuesday, ooeerr..
One rear brake was binding slightly from when I fitted the new shoes about 6 weeks ago, [:I] and I found some tiny cracks at the bottom of the tyre treads, when I got a wide bladed screwdriver and twisted it in the slot it was obvious that the cracks were quite deep and the tyre wasn't safe really.. The tyres were well within legal limits, but were on the volcane wheels when I bought them about 3 years ago, so I have no idea of their real age.. So bought two new tyres for the back, thats all 4 new now.. [:)]
The new tyres are 'Centum K702' and the car handles extremely well on them, braking has improved, road noise is minimal, and they give a soft, smooth, comfortable ride. Down side is they tend to wear more than a harder tyre would, but as my mileage is very low I went for grip and comfort rather than long life.. [:)]
So two new wishbones, rubber (boot) cover, 2 new tyres fitted and balanced (cost £40 each) , brakes checked and ajusted, oil and filter changed, Total cost was £300.. ooeerr.. lol.. [:I] [:D]
Money well spent in my opinion, as I do enjoy driving the ZX, its a great lil car.. and hopefully will last for a few years yet.. [^]
The mechanics lad did mention they had a Volvo 940se auto 130k on the clock (1997 s reg) with aircon and all the bits for £1,800.. he he yeah right! [}:)] my reply was written on a piece of paper and handed to the clerk of the court! [:I] [:o)] [:D]
jeremy
My Cars:

Post by jeremy »

If you want to go fast some of the Volvo's may be what you're looking for - 850 TE or something goes up to about 150 with a porsche developed engine.
jeremy
Kowalski
My Cars: Ex 05 C5 2.0 HDI Exclusive 145k
Ex 97 Xantia 1.9TD SX 144k
Ex 94 Xantia Dimension 1.9TD 199k

Post by Kowalski »

There are some Saabs that'll give a 850 T5 (225 bhp) a run for it's money e.g. 9000 Aero (225 bhp) and they've got an engine developed from the Triumph Dolomites old engine [;)].
jeremy
My Cars:

Post by jeremy »

But Saab gave the Triumph engine to their lorry division to develop and amongst other things they got rid of those daft angled cylinder head studs.
Actually a good Sprint engine was a fine thing as was a good Stag engine. I have fond memories of my Stag and still remember the tremendous flexibilty and sheer grunt of a Sprint I tried to buy.
Jeremy
oilyspanner
My Cars:

Post by oilyspanner »

Back in the old days some mates let me into the BL workshop where they worked, the walls seemed ringed with Dolly sprints all looking suspiciously high at the front!, mind you when they were right, I came across a briskly driven one on my bike once, very rapid.
Stewart
jeremy
My Cars:

Post by jeremy »

I can imagine - you needed a degree in engineering to top up the water. On the first modification on the Stag (black sills) the expansion bottle which sat besides the radiator at the bottom was fitted with a rad cap and the rad header had a plastic bung that apparently no spanner fitted. Want to top up? - must remove bung - doesn't work if you fill up bottle as it doesn't get back into the rad until the engine cools. No wonder everyone blew them up!
Incidentally before someone tells me I did eventually work out the plastic bung fitted a spark plug spannner!
Shame really as the engine pulled much better than the Rover V8 which in Range Rovers has always felt to me to have an effective capacity of about 2 litres. - ie very feeble certainly in carburrettor form.
Jeremy
Kowalski
My Cars: Ex 05 C5 2.0 HDI Exclusive 145k
Ex 97 Xantia 1.9TD SX 144k
Ex 94 Xantia Dimension 1.9TD 199k

Post by Kowalski »

The Rangie V8 was deliberately detuned, the transfer cases didn't like the torque the V8 gave out (even with the V8 detuned, they have stickers inside warning you not to use large throttle openings in the low range). The same V8 SD1 was rather quicker with the "same" V8, they're actually very suprising.
martyhopkirk

Post by martyhopkirk »

£300 for another 12 months motoring is cheap as chips James.
Stick with your ZX - I know you like it really[:)]
jeremy
My Cars:

Post by jeremy »

My brother actually had one with a SD1 engine in it - complete with SU's and that was about the same. That incidentally had the new short gear lever and the derived SD1 gearbox and had been carefully assembled as someone's dream car.
jeremy
James.UK
My Cars:

Post by James.UK »

I had a look at the Volvo, it's in quite good condition. But. it needs two tyres on the front and its MOT runs out in 5 weeks.. heh heh.. I will do as Marty sez and stick to my trusty lil ZX for a couple more decades. lol.. [:o)] [^]