emails

This is the place for posts that don't fit into any other category.

Moderator: RichardW

alan s
RIP 2010
My Cars:

Post by alan s »

Under normal circumcisms, I would have probably picked it up as I was sent an e-mail by someone out here telling me to urgently check the forum as there was some moderating and deleting urgently needed.
Being out here, I usually do the "Dog Watch" as we are on the back of your clocks timewise so it works well. As it happened this time, either by coincidence orr due to this character casually noticing that I had made mention of the fact I was doing a total makeover on a friends BX that has me going about 10 - 12 hours a day this week, he hit us at a time of weakness and by the time I realised what was happening, it had all ben and gone.
To put it into perspective, check the time of this posting (above); over here it's presently around 8.45 am so these forums are kept under surveillance 24/7 normally and I just leave the computer on all day until around 10 - 11 pm and simply scan messages just in case anything blows, in which case I kill it off.
Jon and the others are often on by around 6pm my time until about this time, so this one just slipped through the net. I had pointed out my concerns with this guy a few days ago to the others so to me this wasn't all that unexpected, but not to this extent; quite a strange lad really.[:D]
Alan S
vanny
My Cars:

Post by vanny »

he he, i was asleep and missed all the comotion!
Never the less i get around 50 to 100 spam emails a day, with stuff perclaiming to come from a whole host of different people on all sorts of ficticious email adresses. I figure i get atleast 20 a day from myself, and i dont think im email bombing myself from my own account while sat (usually) in germany, though a trip to germany would be nice!
My solution is multifold, firstly i use Eudora, so no Outlook holes to be got at. Secondly i have spam filters setup on the remote webserver (strangely enough thats in Germany but with the third biggest email provider in the world) and finally Eudora allows me to create my own spam filters! This way i only actually get at most 3 messages a day into my inbox! And i have been known to get 200+ messages in one single day, so it keeps me happy!
Moral of the story,
1) i missed the gore and im glad
2) you cant remove ALL spam!
3) protect yourself, and you'll get less spam!
Alan, where you at the wobbly water? Speaking of which my last brew died (had to be moved while moving house) so am gonna email/PM you about suggestions for better beer :D
alan s
RIP 2010
My Cars:

Post by alan s »

Speaking of things of greater importance; beer, can you guys buy "Coopers" beer kits over there?
http://www.coopers.com.au/default2.asp
They make a range of beers both Aussie and overseas stuff and I bellieve they are over your way too. If you drop them an e-mail I'm sure they'll tell you who to contact.
They make a Stout that I've heard some of the Irish prefer to Guinness; I've drunk both, the original Guinness in a bottle from the pub and Coopers I've brewed myself and give me Coopers any day and for a hot climate or Summer, the Coolers Pale Ale is true to type with the Pub stuff.
Another crew Morgans, put out a list of Recipes to clone the expensive overseas brews; I've made Hahn Premium and fooled people into believing it was the real stuff.
http://www.morgansbrewing.com.au/home.asp
Home brewing is really big business out here.
Alan S
James.UK
My Cars:

Post by James.UK »

Nice one Jon.. [:)]
I have two email addys with hotmail, but get virtually no spam at all, maybe one a week, and then usually from people like AVG, DAP, etc promoting their own programmes or updates.. [^]
I also have two AOL email addys.. again virtually no spam.. [:)] This is now the only forum I ever post on.. So that does rather indicate that the spam emails do not eminate from here.. [:)] [^]
paranoid
My Cars:

Post by paranoid »

Can someone tell me where i'm going wrong then, I'm on Blueyonder with Norton A/virus and I must get 20-30 bits of junk every day
martyhopkirk

Post by martyhopkirk »

I think if you go into the Bluyonder homepage and then go through selfcare you can fine tune the spam filter. Its not that good though as I get about 10 or so a day on mine (mostly do I want a bigger willy and that sort of ilk). Be warned - setting the Outlook to block certain things will eventually cause the Blueyonder webmail to stall and crash as it does not automatically empty stuff from your trash file on line.
paranoid
My Cars:

Post by paranoid »

Thanks......Wouldn't mind a bigger willy though!!!!!!!
citroenzx
My Cars:

Post by citroenzx »

humm ok then!! You've just got to be vigilant with where you put you e-mail address, for example on an online form dont use a real address unless you need to, if you put for address in a post spell out the whole lot so the trawlers dont get it i.e joe dot bloggs at hotmail dot com.
alan s
RIP 2010
My Cars:

Post by alan s »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by paranoid</i>

Thanks......Wouldn't mind a bigger willy though!!!!!!!
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
Nanananananaaaa, yayayaya woowoowoowoodn't waaaaaaaannnnt wwwwwwwwonathose. Ththththeeeeyy ttttttell me it cccccan mmmmmmmmaakke yya stststttttttuuutttterr.[:D][:D]
Aaaalan eeeS[}:)]
paranoid
My Cars:

Post by paranoid »

[:D][:D][:D][:D][:D][:D][:D][:D][:D]
[:D][:D][:D][:D][:D][:D][:D][:D][:D]
Ross_K
Lexia Available: Yes
My Cars: 2009 Citroen C5 VTR+ HDi 1.6
2004 Toyota Prius
2004 Alfa Romeo 156 1.6 Twin Spark

Post by Ross_K »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by citroenzx</i>

humm ok then!! You've just got to be vigilant with where you put you e-mail address, for example on an online form dont use a real address unless you need to, if you put for address in a post spell out the whole lot so the trawlers dont get it i.e joe dot bloggs at hotmail dot com.
Try www.mailinator.com for disposable email addresses.
yangreen

Post by yangreen »

The e-mails you get from yourself usually have support@youraddress.com or something. This is to catch out hotmail people so it'll come from support@hotmail.com and people will think it's legit. If you have a custom address, you'll get stuff that appears to come from your own account. Confused the wotsits out of me at first!! I came very close to opening a document I definitely didn't want to!
This is a top forum that as well as being very well looked after (cheers chaps!) is also full of great contributions. In fact, rather too many to keep up with!!
Better than the non-French forums though. Unfortunately they don't seem to have taken off in the same kind of way which is a shame now I have an Audi!
citroenzx
My Cars:

Post by citroenzx »

Its suprisingly easy (if you have the know how) to be able make it look like you address is from a company or even this forum, all you need is to find an unsecure webserver, set your address in outlook (admin @ andyspares.com for example) and your away. this is known as spoofing.
Just to add to the on going praise for this forum i'd also like to say a big thanks to jon and the team for creating this as well as all the members who have no doubt saved hundreds of pounds for hundreds of people!
hooray for us!
bxbodger
My Cars:

Post by bxbodger »

When we went from Win 98 to XP we were instantly invaded with spam and junk of every variety, to the extent that I had to reload it all. I have found that since putting the McAfee security centre on, we have had no nonsense or junk at all!!! It really did everything it said on the box.
<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">They make a range of beers both Aussie and overseas stuff and I bellieve they are over your way too. If you drop them an e-mail I'm sure they'll tell you who to contact.
They make a Stout that I've heard some of the Irish prefer to Guinness; I've drunk both, the original Guinness in a bottle from the pub and Coopers I've brewed myself and give me Coopers any day and for a hot climate or Summer, the Coolers Pale Ale is true to type with the Pub stuff.
Another crew Morgans, put out a list of Recipes to clone the expensive overseas brews; I've made Hahn Premium and fooled people into believing it was the real stuff.
I'm sorry, REAL beer can only be produced in England!!!! To be precise, the Adnams brewery in Southwold.......with McMullens a close second..... This is the one area where England still retains superiority over the rest of the world!!!!
The French do good wine and good suspension, the English do good beer-nothing else comes close!!
alan s
RIP 2010
My Cars:

Post by alan s »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by bxbodger</i>

When we went from Win 98 to XP we were instantly invaded with spam and junk of every variety, to the extent that I had to reload it all. I have found that since putting the McAfee security centre on, we have had no nonsense or junk at all!!! It really did everything it said on the box.
<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">They make a range of beers both Aussie and overseas stuff and I bellieve they are over your way too. If you drop them an e-mail I'm sure they'll tell you who to contact.
I'm sorry, REAL beer can only be produced in England!!!! To be precise, the Adnams brewery in Southwold.......with McMullens a close second..... This is the one area where England still retains superiority over the rest of the world!!!!
The French do good wine and good suspension, the English do good beer-nothing else comes close!!
Unfortunately, I doubt that you would have ever tasted the stuff we're talking about and even less chance you ever will.
The company we're talking about was an English one originally who make kits that are clones of all the best beers from all over the World and anyone who has never had anything to do with them I doubt is capable of making any fair comparison.
If you ever get over this way, which would then give you a chance to do a proper comparison, I'm afaraid you might be very disappointed at what you've been putting up with and trying to convince yourself was a half decent beer.
That's not just me talking, that's coming from overseas visitors I have met from UK, Europe and the US who have tried it and made a judgement based on quality not on bias.
Alan S[:D][:D]