Delorean Mystery Solved

This is the place for posts that don't fit into any other category.

Moderator: RichardW

vanny
My Cars:

Delorean Mystery Solved

Post by vanny »

Well one Delorean mystery solved at least!
Anyone who knows about the DMC12 knows how ever amazing a car it was, it was woefully under powered. Like many others i've always found it unbelievable that such a big engine could be so pathetically underpowered, but i might have accidentally stubled accross the reason!
The Delorean engine was NOT meant to be normally aspirated, but was originally released NA to significatly reduce the sales cost!
However prototypes where made with a twin turbo and intercooler package, and would have added $7000 to the price of a base DeLorean and would have made the car the fastest production vehicle in the world in 1983/1984.
There are only two known remaining prototypes in the world today, but on purchase in 1983 these would have cost around only $32,000 or less. An even faster 'S' series twin turbo was in the works to be introduced later which would have included a different transmission and redesigned suspension/wheels/tires. No prototypes were made of the 'S' project.
So there you have it! Thats why they're so slow! I know what i'll be doing when i eventually buy one!
Kowalski
My Cars: Ex 05 C5 2.0 HDI Exclusive 145k
Ex 97 Xantia 1.9TD SX 144k
Ex 94 Xantia Dimension 1.9TD 199k

Post by Kowalski »

Part of the performance problem was down to weight. Lotus was brought in to engineer the car and make it handle and they needed to make the chassis stiffer so they added a heavy steel backbone to the car (similar to what the Esprit had) which made the car rather heavy.
Apparently the engine was (distantly ?) related to the 12v V6 that the XM used to have in it.
martyhopkirk

Post by martyhopkirk »

Hang on.... sod the Delorean how about a stainless steel TZD BX..... Tempting, very tempting.
How is your panel fabrication?
vanny
My Cars:

Post by vanny »

hmmm, i can weld! has to be a start! and im not bad at arc, but much improved at mig, but we have to be talking 3mm+ here which would end up with a lot more weight! Could always glass one up from scratch!
Kowalski,
steel back bone indeed, thats middle aged technology (never correctly treated they rot really badly so the first thing to do is strip them down and paint them), you can have a full alluminium with enhanced everything (steering, wish bones etc) and it's only around $12000 then you can get a Delorean shipped from the States NEVER driven for about £20k! Sod all the pretend race cars (elise, exige etc) i'd rather have a brand new Delorean with alu chasis and all the modifications done straight out the factory! Then a quick word with lotus and have them but turbo on the engine and i'm set! all i'll need is a CX to tow it around :D
wheeler
My Cars:

Post by wheeler »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by vanny</i>

Then a quick word with lotus and have them but turbo on the engine and i'm set!
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
what about a quick word with the doc to have the flux capacitor put in [:p]
vanny
My Cars:

Post by vanny »

but you still have to get to the 88mph! And then you have to figure out how to get the 1.21 jigawatts of power to even ionise the flux capacitor! I dont really know any terrorists looking for someone to make a bomb, i dont know if or when lightening will strike (not to mention it doesn't happen very often and i would be prepetually late for work, until i jump back to the future), i also don't have a very big steam train! I do have a blender however, but i dont want to ruin the lines of the car!
If i did get one, i couldn't drive it for very long!After winning a couple of 'special' camera pictures of the car doing 88mph in a built up area, i would probably have to license!
Richard Green

Post by Richard Green »

flux capasitor is real you know haha but you need an amiga 500 with extra memory,
http://images.google.co.uk/imgres?imgurl=
http://www.afrotechmods.com/flux%2520ca ... imgrefurl=
http://www.afrotechmods.com/timetravel.htm&h=
358&w=400&sz=35&tbnid=JK1s3qgJssEJ:&tbnh=107&tbnw=120&hl=
en&start=1&prev=/images%3Fq%3Dflux%2Bcapacitor%26hl%3Den%26lr%3D%26sa%3DN
ActivaV6uk
My Cars: C5 X7 2.7 hdi

Past cars
Activa, silver MK1 (221bhp stock) stripped out with twin sparcos Evo seats. 95
Activa, light met red MK1 98
Activa, dark met red MK1 98
Activa, dark met blue MK1 (202bhp stock) 96
Xantia exclusive V6 auto 3l 98
Xantia 2l 8v auto
BX 4x4 GTi dark met silver
BX 4x4 GTi white
BX GTi 16v white fibre bumpers
BX GTi 16v black fibre bumpers
BX GTi 16v hurricane (doa)
BX DTR estate

Post by ActivaV6uk »

I could try that with my Amiga A3000 but its so heavy that i can only just pick it up and its a bit of an ancient artifact now...
Andy
vanny
My Cars:

Post by vanny »

Amiga A3000? never heard of one of them! Acorn A3000, or perhaps a A300 Amiga, but i never heard of a Amiga A3000!
Ross_K
Lexia Available: Yes
My Cars: 2009 Citroen C5 VTR+ HDi 1.6
2004 Toyota Prius
2004 Alfa Romeo 156 1.6 Twin Spark

Post by Ross_K »

The DeLorean was one car that looked better on film than it did in real life. I saw a couple close up about a year ago - the build is shockingly bad. Gaps between panels vary from one car to another... Looked like there was some major panel-beating done on the production line in order to make bonnets/doors/etc fit roughly where they were supposed to go.
tomsheppard
My Cars:

Post by tomsheppard »

Tuning a delorean? One in every village. If Lotus couldn't get it to go round corners, what makes you think that you will?
Richard Green

Post by Richard Green »

Amiga a3000 is the American pc standard multi purpos type pc like the uk pc sort of or was there before we started to use the pc at home, that's when we all had the Amiga and I had the pc back in 1985 and told every one the pc would rule when they laughed at me, seems the shoe is on the other proverbial foot now.
Richard Green

Post by Richard Green »

The DeLorean was as far as im concerned an idea which had lots of truth behind it and is the forerunner of the " alloy body " being the main area not a good idea it seems to go up against a big dealer like Audi was it who was already in the pipeline for development, only thing I liked on the delorean was the gull wing doors.
martyhopkirk

Post by martyhopkirk »

TTFN
Richard Green

Post by Richard Green »

love it mate now your just showing off because you can post pictures--------sod. missed an F out there on of.