Electro guru needed

This is the place for posts that don't fit into any other category.

Moderator: RichardW

Richard Green

Post by Richard Green »

oh yes I have to agree with that ( voltage is a value ) current makes your hair stand up.
ghostrider
My Cars:

Post by ghostrider »

Most diodes will only put up with a certain voltage applied "the wrong way" after which they break down, can't remeber if they go short cicuit or open though.....
and hey who'd take a cit to the bottom of the sea, they rot quickly enough as it is [:D] [:D] [:D]
________
Zx14 vs hayabusa
Last edited by ghostrider on 22 Feb 2011, 06:06, edited 1 time in total.
martyhopkirk

Post by martyhopkirk »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Kowalski</i>

Obviously the smoke seal's gone which is why the smoke came out.
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
Came to that conclusion a long time ago - electricity is really smoke as you never see any electricity, but when wires break down you always see smoke. Purchased a canister of smoke and some sealer to repair the cables on my BX.
bernie
My Cars:

Post by bernie »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by tomsheppard</i>

And if the original is short? Call me please, Bernie.
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
Sorry Tom, just noticed your post!!!!!
Been ill since Thursday[xx(][xx(][xx(][xx(]
It's nothing urgent as the HA2 valve actually snapped in two when I removed it and hopefully Andy (ActiveV6uk) is sending me some bits.
It's just in the wiring diagram there is a diode across the coil and I wondered how you would check the diode, electronic principals/rules etc.
So nothing urgent[:)]
tomsheppard
My Cars:

Post by tomsheppard »

You would use a scope and a sig gen and put in ac at a frequency high enough for the inductance of the coil to become a high impedance. The scope will now show half wave rectification if the diode is ok.
Kowalski
My Cars: Ex 05 C5 2.0 HDI Exclusive 145k
Ex 97 Xantia 1.9TD SX 144k
Ex 94 Xantia Dimension 1.9TD 199k

Post by Kowalski »

That's all that component tester I mentioned (way up at the top) is really, except that it was integrated and had multiple inputs and buttons to select the "right" frequency, amplitude and waveform for testing whatever you needed to.
bernie
My Cars:

Post by bernie »

That's exactly what I thought!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!??????????????????????????