Black CX

This is the place for posts that don't fit into any other category.

Moderator: RichardW

Stinkwheel

Post by Stinkwheel »

like a red rag to a bull those 2 phrases :-)
jeremy
My Cars:

Post by jeremy »

I like a challenge when it comes to these things - many components are ruined by the failure of minor parts - like the hydraulic regulators suffering from rapid ticking due to the non-return valve needing re-seating.
One of the joys of being an amateur mechanic is that the financial pressures are the entire opposite of the trade by which I mean that we are happy to spend 3 or 4 hours in the hope of saveing £100 but if we made a living at it we know we couldn't present the customer with a bill and say well I spent 4 hours at your expense seeing if I could avoid replacing this component - then found it was too bad and had to buy the new one anyway!
As for chassis repairs - generally they are not that difficult with the right kit, materials and some experience and ingenuity BUT I have some sympathy with those writing books as their apparent endorsement of chassis repairs could lead them being blamd for a load of dangerous bad quality repairs.
It is also a fact that the art of chassis repairs and car restoration has moved on in leaps and bounds during the last 20 years or so, particularily since the cheap good MIG welders became available.
jeremy