Personal web space

This is the place for posts that don't fit into any other category.

Moderator: RichardW

martyhopkirk

Post by martyhopkirk »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Mosser</i>

Why is there a picture size limitation imposed by the forum when the pictures arent stored on the sites server and dont use any of its bandwidth up ?, i would have thought there would only be a limitation if it was using forum resources ?
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">http://www.andyspares.com/discussionfor ... C_ID=13271
Says it all really - big pictures distort the shape of the forum and make it a real pain in the bum for us on dial up still!
Ross_K
Lexia Available: Yes
My Cars: 2009 Citroen C5 VTR+ HDi 1.6
2004 Toyota Prius
2004 Alfa Romeo 156 1.6 Twin Spark

Post by Ross_K »

Try http://www.imageshack.us
You upload your picture and it spits out the code you need to add your pic to a forum. It'll even give you thumbnail code so modem users will see a resized teeny pic - broadband users can click on it and get the full-sized pic.
No page distortion...[8D]
Mosser
My Cars:

Post by Mosser »

I would have thought a filesize limitation would have been better, a 500x370 size picture doesnt even fill a quarter of my screen, and even 1280 x 1024 fits comfortable without distorting the page layout of the site,
I resized one of my images down to 500 x 376 and it is just over 3 meg in size which would be within forum guidelines but would be massively too big for dial up users (does anyone use dialup still then ??)
I'm not trying to cause trouble or argue about it, it just seems that this rule is for 486 computers running 800 x 600 screen resolution on 33.6k dialup, and noone uses these standards anymore !, maybe its time to rethink the picture size rule ?
DervDonkey
My Cars:

Post by DervDonkey »

Mosser, some of us don't run our browsers full-screen. Resolution wise, I'm running 1600x1200 on a 21" CRT and find the picture size on this forum to be about right.
I still use dial-up occasionally - sometimes even at 9600bps via a mobile phone when I can't find an unsecured WLAN to use. Of course, in these circumstances I turn off image downloading anyway... And if a 500x376 image, at 16.7million colours (24 bit), is 3megs then there's something seriously wrong with your software. By my calculation, an uncompressed 24 bit bitmap image of this size should be just over 550Kb, a JPEG will be a lot less, depending on the compression - not 6 times as much.
Mosser
My Cars:

Post by Mosser »

There was nothing wrong with the picture i resized, it was a 12 megapixel tiff file that i resized with no compression used, Its a standard countryside shot that was emailed to me as a test shot,
I too use 14.4 dialup on my mobile on the train sometimes, but dont display pictures, and anyone that was using dialup would surely have images turned off by default anyway ?
Why would you not run your browser full screen ?, you are just making more work for yourself as you will have to do more scrolling to be able to read all the posts ?