Optimax Fuel

This is the place for posts that don't fit into any other category.

Moderator: RichardW

CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by citroenzx</i>

so is the better MPG because of the fuel or because you dont have to drop the pedal a far?
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
Part of it comes from running the timing where the engine designer decided it should be and the other from the fact that the higher octane fuel burns better.
You'll only see a difference on engines designed originally to run on 97 RON and have had their timing reset (retarded) to run on 95 RON.
A motor designed to run on 95 RON will show no change running on 98 RON unless you can advance the ignition timing to take advantage of the higher octane fuel. If you can, advance until detonation just sets in under load and then back off a tad.
The reasons behind all of this are a really interesting subject and I could add many lines to this submission going into it. If anyone is interested I will.
PowerLee
My Cars: Current - Slightly modified 2016 Pug 308 Puretech 130 Allure
Past:
2003 - 206 GLX TU3JP & 206 SE ET3JP4
1995 - 405 Executive XU10J2
1996 - 406 GLX XU10J4R
1994 - 405 GTX XU10J2

Post by PowerLee »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Forth</i>

Getting a new (2-stroke) brushcutter on Friday... anyone know if the ultra type of petrol is better to use in them than the ordinary grade?
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
Dont forget to use 2 stroke oil aswell!
Also if it comes with a Champion spark plug fitted, Remove it & stick a NGK / Bosch one in there, Champion plugs & 2 stroke engines are not a happy mix.
Homer
My Cars: Current:
Volvo V60 D4 180

Previous:
BX16RS (two of),
BX19TZI,
Xantia 2.0i saloon,
Xantia 2.0 Exclusive CT turbo Break,
Peugeot 807 2.0 HDi 110,
Renault Grand Scenic, 2.0 diesel (150bhp)
C5 X7 2.0 HDi 160 which put me off French cars possibly forever

Post by Homer »

Lots of people on Pistonheads forum have done a scientific comparison and recon the savings outweigh the extra cost.
Stempy
My Cars: C5 V6 Mk1 assainated by wife
Renault Kangoo 1.6 auto, tarted up and remapped
Still missing the Xantia V6
Not missing the AX

Post by Stempy »

It's more down to the engine management system that the fuel. Most modern petrol engined cars have a knock sensor which tells the ecu the instant detonation starts, then the ecu sets the ignition timing just before that point. If you fill with a higher octane fuel then the ecu can set more advance and hence improve performance. If Optimax is more resistant to knock than other unleaded then this would account for the improved performance. If your car does not have a system which can vary the timing depending on fuel octane then you will get no performance benefit from using a super fuel unless you move the timing manually.