Simca fuel...

This is the place for posts that don't fit into any other category.

Moderator: RichardW

pistol840
My Cars:

Simca fuel...

Post by pistol840 »

Is it OK to just use Super Unleaded with a 1973 Simca 1100 as this has the same 97 octane level as original leaded fuel or is it advisable to use an additive?
VisaGTi16v

Post by VisaGTi16v »

Cant really say other than dont old engines need different valve seals or something to run on unleaded if they were designed for 4 star?
pistol840
My Cars:

Post by pistol840 »

Think you can get away without on certain models. Just bought the car so might have to contact the previous owner to ask what he used or if its had a conversion!
bikeboyz
My Cars:

Post by bikeboyz »

I would stick to the same brand of LRP or use regular unleaded and a quality additive. If you change additive brand, make sure you use all the fuel in the tank first, as different types use different chemicals which might react with each other.
Castrol Valve Master Plus is ideal as it has an octane booster so you shouldn't have to retard the timing. I sure this was the one I used in my Morris 1000 with no problems.
jeremy
My Cars:

Post by jeremy »

This may help. If its got an alloy head it will have valve inserts and as you will see from the article these will probably outlive the car on unleaded although there will be some wear.
http://www.pumaracing.co.uk/unlead01.htm
jeremy