Interesting Ebay BX

This is the place for posts that don't fit into any other category.

Moderator: RichardW

adamskibx
My Cars:

Interesting Ebay BX

Post by adamskibx »

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll? ... eName=WDVW
Wonder what they did about the exhaust-surely the orinal wouldnt fit that engine and the right one for the engine wouldnt fit the car??
oilyspanner
My Cars:

Post by oilyspanner »

Looks like an interesting conversion, I would not like to guarantee how long the thing will run before the torque of the TD lump destroys the transmission though.
Stewart
Kowalski
My Cars: Ex 05 C5 2.0 HDI Exclusive 145k
Ex 97 Xantia 1.9TD SX 144k
Ex 94 Xantia Dimension 1.9TD 199k

Post by Kowalski »

TD Torque and 4x4, something will break eventually....
Actually, I don't know how true that is, how does the torque of the XUD7 TD compare with the 1.9 petrol? I suspect that the 1.7 TD doesn't produce the same torque as the 1.9 TD.
bernie
My Cars:

Post by bernie »

The DVLA shows it as a PETROL 4x4 Estate
vanny
My Cars:

Post by vanny »

Come on Bernie, this is the DVLA we're talking about! They probably don't actually know the difference between Petrol and Heavy Oil anyways!
I figure if the torque from a 1.9TD is MUCH higher than that of an Mi16/16v then a 1.8TD is gonna be pretty high as well! I guess these things all come down to how the 4x4 is driven and lots of appreciation that it's NOT designed to simply go fast! Must admit if i had a place for the 16v to go i'd be very tempted to get it and drive it till it dies!
Kowalski

Post by Kowalski »

From Ebay
<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">"At some point between 1991 and 2002 the original engine must have developed a serious fault and it was decided to fit a turbo diesel unit."<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
adamskibx
My Cars:

Post by adamskibx »

Surel outright power has a big part to play too- In fact the outright power of o 1.9 petrol is more even if its got less torque- I suppose the gearbox might suffer as the higher gears are uesed a lot more because of the extra torque but I cant see how the 4x4 stuff will wear out any faster- suppose the power of the TD is more usable so more will be used more of the time. Im sure im probably wrong here so correct me if I am- Ive never quite fully understood the whole torque/power thing even though I understand them individually.
Kowalski

Post by Kowalski »

Gearboxes are designed to cope with a specific amount of torque, torque is the physical turning force on the shaft, too much and it breaks the shaft.
Power is "torque with speed", so you can put more power through a box without changing the amount of torque by turning the shafts faster not harder. Petrol engines produce more power than diesels because they turn over faster, so even though the diesel has more torque it can't produce it at the high speeds that it would need to for power. That explains things really very badly.
rbruce1314
My Cars:

Post by rbruce1314 »

So there it is! My local indy Cit agent came across it a few years ago: there is no room to do ANYTHING and after the first visit he banned it!
I have just sold my BX 4x4 estate- the real weakness is in one of the layshafts in the transfer box (apparently it was under-engineered to save money and space). The 1.9 petrol is probably as torquey as the TD but either will bust the shaft if driven enthusiastically. This shaft is no longer available and nobody is interested in remanufacturing them owing to limited numbers.
jeremy
My Cars:

Post by jeremy »

From memeory BX 1.7Td and BX 16 valve have the same torque but TD produces it about 2000 rpm lower (133 lb ft.)
8 valve BX GTi isn't that much less (125? lb ft) and 1.9 TD is about 142 lb ft.
As a general comment I'd say that Citroen gearboxes (BE3 etc) seem remarkable reliable particularily when I remember some of the horrors I've had in the past.
Jeremy
bernie
My Cars:

Post by bernie »

The point I am making is
The conversion took place between 1991 and 2002 but the DVLA were not informed.
Dave Bamber
My Cars:

Post by Dave Bamber »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by bernie</i>

The point I am making is
The conversion took place between 1991 and 2002 but the DVLA were not informed.
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
One wonders if his insurance company knows too...........
bernie
My Cars:

Post by bernie »

Exactly Dave
wilkobob
My Cars:

Post by wilkobob »

Now that I like, shame its a fair distance from me, cos im tempted!
adamskibx
My Cars:

Post by adamskibx »

The 16 Valve one he's offering looks good for £200. Wonder whats wrong with the ignition. All looks repairable and I bet the window channel problem can be sorted.