Peugeot 106 and turbo

This is the place for posts that don't fit into any other category.

Moderator: RichardW

406 V6
My Cars:

Peugeot 106 and turbo

Post by 406 V6 »

Hi!
Fellas, i have a friend who wants to put bigger wheels on his Pug 106 Quicksilver. the engine is the 1.1L, 60bhp version.
As some problems may arise due to wider tyres, especially at overtaking, could one fit a small turbo to it, or the compression stage of a bigger turbo rotated by the engine or an electric motor, as the car will only deal with a small increase of pressure before the ecu has a heart attack[:P]
Thanks!
Kowalski
My Cars: Ex 05 C5 2.0 HDI Exclusive 145k
Ex 97 Xantia 1.9TD SX 144k
Ex 94 Xantia Dimension 1.9TD 199k

Post by Kowalski »

When you put bigger wheels on, you should be fitting lower profile tyres so that the outside radius of the tyres remains the same and your gearing and speedometer remain the same.
Turbochargers have to run at tremendous speeds (50k rpm and upwards to say 250k rpm) an electric motor simply can't produce the speeds you'd need for the compressor to be effective. The best option is going to be selling the car and buying one with a bigger engine, fitting a turbo without causing other problems gets complicated and expensive, you'd need to lower the compression ratio and fit some sort of oil jets to the block to cool the pistons otherwise it wouldn't live very long.
You can get some (a little) extra performance by fitting a performance air filter and a free flowing exhaust and perhaps getting the ECU reprogrammed but on a non-turbo car there isn't a lot to be gained, if you're optimistic maybe 10hp in total.
TomH
My Cars:

Post by TomH »

You could fit a turbo if money is no object, and it probably still wouldn't be reliable! There would have to be many alterations or the pistons would melt, too high a pressure and the head will blow etc
Better off getting a faster standard car to start with as mentioned
the 106 Quiksilver is a 1.4 anyway, no?