Help with Opel Corsa

This is the place for posts that don't fit into any other category.

Moderator: RichardW

406 V6
My Cars:

Help with Opel Corsa

Post by 406 V6 »

Hi!
I'm sorry for posting this here, but i couldn't find a site dedicated to it ont eh other GSF forum (Opel is german to us).
Here goes:
My sister's Corsa 1.2 (late 2001 model) is - from what she tells me - blocking easily the rear wheels on a braking, and it seems it doesn't ahev to be very hard.
I'm not sure if the car as a brake distribution valve at the rear, but what could it be, if not this?
Thank you guys
ActivaV6uk
My Cars: C5 X7 2.7 hdi

Past cars
Activa, silver MK1 (221bhp stock) stripped out with twin sparcos Evo seats. 95
Activa, light met red MK1 98
Activa, dark met red MK1 98
Activa, dark met blue MK1 (202bhp stock) 96
Xantia exclusive V6 auto 3l 98
Xantia 2l 8v auto
BX 4x4 GTi dark met silver
BX 4x4 GTi white
BX GTi 16v white fibre bumpers
BX GTi 16v black fibre bumpers
BX GTi 16v hurricane (doa)
BX DTR estate

Post by ActivaV6uk »

Opel is an american company owned by General Motors thats why you couldnt find it, its known as Vauxhal here for the majority of specks with Opel being used for the sports cars.
The real question is has any one ever ever touched one?
Andy
Kowalski
My Cars: Ex 05 C5 2.0 HDI Exclusive 145k
Ex 97 Xantia 1.9TD SX 144k
Ex 94 Xantia Dimension 1.9TD 199k

Post by Kowalski »

Its true that Opel is owned by GM but their cars are designed in Germany, a bit like the way Ford UK used to design and make its own cars but lost out to Ford Germany because their cars were simply better.
Opel used to be used for the sports cars, but the Calibra, VX220 and the Monaro come with Vauxhall badges these days. I do remember the Opel Manta and Monza, but I only had the brochures and never the cars. Vauxhall had the Nova, Astra and Cavalier, where as Opel had the Corsa, the Kaddett and the Vectra.
RichardW
Forum Treasurer
My Cars: MK2 '17 C4GP 1.6 BlueHDi 120
'13 3008 1.6 HDi GripControl

Post by RichardW »

>The real question is has any one ever ever touched one?
I touched one with a barge pole once, but it gave me palpitations, so I didn't do it again...
Actually I had a 2000 5dr diesel for a works car for a while. Hateful does not even come close. I nearly wrote it off one day when someone pulled out in front of me, just managed to get past him with some frantic braking and verge action - should have done every one in my office a favour and smacked it.
Sorry, not much help to the original post, but this is a French forum.....!
bxbodger
My Cars:

Post by bxbodger »

History lesson over,Try here-http://www.cavweb-forums.co.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=28
Big Vauxhall forum-mainly the bigger cars but no doubt they know Corsa's as well!!!
It sounds as if the load compensator's faulty and thinks the car is fully laden, diverting braking power to the rears- I had a Fiat Uno with a faulty compensator that did this, but I don't know about Corsa's, whether its a seperate single unit as on the Uno, or built into the rear wheel cylinders as on the 205, etc. Someone on cavweb will know!!
Stop press-browsing through the cavweb postings someone is on there wanting to know where they can get BX bits!!!! Perhaps you could point them in the right direction......
Stuart McB
My Cars:

Post by Stuart McB »

Had plenty of VX Astra's, Frontera and a Tigra, all very good and easy to work on. BUT (there's always a but) the Corsa we have at work is brand new and the windows don't work, they have these bits of plastic sticking out of the door cards that you have to 'wind up or down' this moves the windows. any hown to the question.
Sorry for this but does 406 V6 mean the rear wheels are locking up under braking?
406 V6
My Cars:

Post by 406 V6 »

Yes Stuart, that's correct.
It seems that it doesn't need too much force applyed for a lock up
turbolag

Post by turbolag »

I used to spanner poxhalls for a living and even a cackhandedly driven Corsa shoukld't do that. Sounds like a brake bias valve issue, or a drum fault of some type.
Take it back to the dealer, and trade it in for a nice 206, or one of those smart new C4s - that should cure it.