Nurburgring lap record

This is the place for posts that don't fit into any other category.

Moderator: RichardW

yangreen

Post by yangreen »

Well, Jeremy did say the actual words "TVR, we know that will break down" as they were discussing the car survey...
James.UK
My Cars:

Post by James.UK »

Wow the girl can drive huh? bet the biker will never live down the fact that he got overtaken by a girl driving a big trannie van!! [:0] oohh the shame the shame.. [:I][:I] [:D][:D][:D]
Not just overtaken, but she went by him like he was parked!! [:I] I loved it.. [:D] She would easily beat Clarkson's time in a smaller van, a transit wasn't the best choice to make if they really want to beat the 10 min mark..
I quite enjoy the programme but wish they would stop wasting so much time playing around in cars that no one can afford!! [:(!]
j_roc

Post by j_roc »

But if we can afford to drive a Xantia/406/C5 then I think that we can afford a old XJS, Starion or 635i. Remember when clarkson bought a 928 for under £1500.
martyhopkirk

Post by martyhopkirk »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by j_roc</i>

I think that we can afford a old XJS, Starion or 635i. Remember when clarkson bought a 928 for under £1500.<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">Yes, but if memory serves me right - this was a bag of sh!*£ and broke down a lot.
A £1500 Xantia <i>should</i> be a bit more reliable - I remember selling a pile of carp known as a Mini - got £200 for a wreck when it should have been scrapped (in fact looking on the DVLA website it was never re taxed after I sold it) Some cars comand silly money - even when they are stuffed.
j_roc

Post by j_roc »

Yeah it was a bag o sh*te, but just park it on the drive and you can then say "I own a Porsche, you know" [^].
martyhopkirk

Post by martyhopkirk »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by j_roc</i>

"I own a Porsche, you know" [^].
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
Well if that floats your boat.....
I can think of better ways of spending £1500!
Anyway (going a little off topic) - who is of the opinion that Mr May off Flop gear should be replaced with the rather stunning german driver Sabrina? Admit it, she is a real petrol head, can actually <i>drive</i> a car and looks so much better than James May. And I bet she swears better too.
madasafish

Post by madasafish »

"Anyway (going a little off topic) - who is of the opinion that Mr May off Flop gear should be replaced with the rather stunning german driver Sabrina"
I'd second that:-))))
ACTIVE8
My Cars:

Post by ACTIVE8 »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Kowalski</i>

They need to go back with a Mercedes Sprinter. Judging by their ability to tailgate me (when in the livery of a certain courier company) on the dual carriageway, they must be MUCH faster than a Transit. They HAVE to go back and break the 10min barrier.
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
I agree they should go back to the Nurburgring with a Sprinter, because they do live up to their name, and are quick. If they returned with the short wheelbase low roof equivalent to the transit, with the 156hp CDI engine then it should beat the transit tested. I am assuming here that they did take a transit with the most powerful engine, and not just any old van which was available.
j_roc

Post by j_roc »

Sabrina - Yep I 3rd that. James - Get your coat, mate.
vanny
My Cars:

Post by vanny »

vicky butler henderson, perhpas not so pleasing to the eye as sabrina but will kick the crap out of clarkeson which has to worth the effort! Thing about May is that he just doesn't seem to enjoy driving, certainly no the way the other two do! It would be nice to see someone who loves driving replace him!
ACTIVE8
My Cars:

Post by ACTIVE8 »

All this talk about a change of presenter is interesting, and certainly could happen, don't forget that James May was a replacement for the big guy that was presenting it with Richard, and Jeremy when the programme started in it's hour format on BBC2.
Now not only is the programme interesting because of the fun way it's presented, and being shot artistically with filters, and good camera angles etc, but because it's an hour long a viewer can get into it more, and enjoy it more without the constant interuption of adverts. The other half hour progammes with advert breaks effectively are only approx 20 mins long.
I would certainly like to see Sabrina on the programme presenting it, but didn't Jeremy say that she would be his stand in, for the tail out, opposite lock, tyre smoking driving, as he has a bad back, and his doctor said he would have to refrain from driving like that for a while.
Also it would certainly bring more spirited driving onto the programme as James May is not up to it. Sabrina would certainly bring some glamour to the programme, she is an excellent driver, and would make the proramme even more fun to watch, [:D] and would even increase the viewing figures, both male, and female. [:)] [8D]
j_roc

Post by j_roc »

James May replaced Jason Dawe (think thats how its spelt) he use to do the special offers that were on around the country on new cars.
adamskibx
My Cars:

Post by adamskibx »

The ideal Top gear was the old one to me- They made critical yet balanced sensible arguments about different cars that peolpe could often afford. Now they seem to decide whether they like a car or not and then just go on about how amazing it is, or not, for the whole show. Presenter wise, I would like Quentin Wilson back-he was fantastic, Clarkson for entertainment value (well, to laugh at, not with), Richard Hamond and yes, Sabrina would be good too:-)
martyhopkirk

Post by martyhopkirk »

Ah, but the old format of Top Gear is now being used as Fith Gear on Chanel 5 (complete with Tiff Needel).
I think Mr. May dislikes driving because he is a biker in his heart and lives in London. I know that I prefer biking to driving - and if I lived back in a big city then I would probably dislike the car too. Hammond on the other hand seems to hit a nice balance and can be called a petrol head, likes his bikes, but likes silly cars too - if it goes and is fun then he will pilot it!
Did my time in Manchester City Ctr - (7 years) and hated driving anywhere - thats when I got into biking in a big way, so I can empathise with James May. Still think Sabrina would be a vast improvement.
Wonder if the Stig would like to pilot my TZD round the track!
James.UK
My Cars:

Post by James.UK »

Sabrina should replace Clarkson! [}:)] the man drives like big girls blouse!! [:o)] took him 3 days of practice to beat the 10 min in a diesel Jag and then only did it by one second!! arghh.. [}:)][}:)] And. Did you see the great plonker trying to get that Land rover up the hill? they dragged him out of the mud twice!! omg that was so embarresing to watch, [:I] only at the last 50 yards did he have the bottle to floor it and then it sailed up [:)].. A driver (tuhh) [:D] lmho.. I will vote for Sabrina to replace him anytime.. [;)] [:)]