DOORS

This is the place for posts that don't fit into any other category.

Moderator: RichardW

ACTIVE8
My Cars:

DOORS

Post by ACTIVE8 »

Well now that Peugeot have bought out a car with motorised sliding doors, the Peugeot 1007. Does this mean we are less likely to get dings/dents/scratches in car parks, or will people just park even closer causing further problems [?]
Richard Gallagher
My Cars:

Post by Richard Gallagher »

Err the C8/Pug whatever had these a couple of years ago.
dillosk8ter
My Cars:

Post by dillosk8ter »

This is slighyl diferent though having just sliding doors (one each side), would be nice if it bought and end to car park battle scars...even worse when your actually in the car and some old duffer (80+) swings the door of his Rover into you usually without apologising, sometimes without noticing!
Homer
My Cars: Current:
Volvo V60 D4 180

Previous:
BX16RS (two of),
BX19TZI,
Xantia 2.0i saloon,
Xantia 2.0 Exclusive CT turbo Break,
Peugeot 807 2.0 HDi 110,
Renault Grand Scenic, 2.0 diesel (150bhp)
C5 X7 2.0 HDi 160 which put me off French cars possibly forever

Post by Homer »

I love my "ting ting ting" sliding doors on the 807.
No longer have to struggle with the kids and bags and door handles. \o/
ACTIVE8
My Cars:

Post by ACTIVE8 »

Yes, I agree sliding doors are already in use on a multitude of vehicles when the people carrier came about, car drivers were able to realise the benefits of sliding doors, which van drivers have had for many years. Although people carriers usually allow walk through access to the rear, many drivers will normally use the hinged door alongside them.
The Peugeot 1007 is different to a people carrier design where although there are sliding door(s) fitted, they still have hinged doors to get into the front of the vehicle.
The difference is two powered sliding doors, which open up to provide wide access into both the front, and rear of the car.
Here's a picture of the car.

PowerLee
My Cars: Current - Slightly modified 2016 Pug 308 Puretech 130 Allure
Past:
2003 - 206 GLX TU3JP & 206 SE ET3JP4
1995 - 405 Executive XU10J2
1996 - 406 GLX XU10J4R
1994 - 405 GTX XU10J2

Post by PowerLee »

There is already a software issue with the 1007 sliding doors.
The safety interlock doesn't kick in untill 5 mph, So the doors can be opened if the car is moving along very slowly & then you can speed up again.
Apparently there where loads of journalists driving around with open doors on the press launch.
Reported is Auto Express magazine last week I think.
tomsheppard
My Cars:

Post by tomsheppard »

Fireman to passenger trapped in 1007: "we're just waiting for the download..."
Electric doors. Just How much unnecessary SXXT do you want in your car?
The new golf GTI is a case in point.
A colleague tells me that it is raw and pure like the first one.
Cobblers; it weighs twice as much.
But that is because of all the safety equipment.
No, that isn't why you are buying it.
Heavier alloy wheels, motorised everything and weight weight weight.
that is no way to build a motor car.
oilyspanner
My Cars:

Post by oilyspanner »

And the little pug is heavier than a BX too! Whilst I like computers and do not fear the technology I dont particularly want one in the car until I can tear it to pieces and control its software like I can with my PC, until that time I like my cars mechanical.
Stewart
ACTIVE8
My Cars:

Post by ACTIVE8 »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by PowerLee</i>

There is already a software issue with the 1007 sliding doors.
The safety interlock doesn't kick in untill 5 mph, So the doors can be opened if the car is moving along very slowly & then you can speed up again.
Apparently there where loads of journalists driving around with open doors on the press launch.
Reported is Auto Express magazine last week I think.
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
So it looks like the R & D of the product isn't being done properly, and is again being left to the customer/journalist etc, to find out the product(s) problems.
Previously Daimler Chrysler released the "A" Class only to discover that it could turn over to easily in an evasive manoeuvre called the "Elk test." This was featured in Auto Express a few years ago, when the fault was discovered by a Swedish journalist.
As soon as they were aware of the problem Daimler Chrysler had to develop a system to counteract the problem, this was mainly electronically based adding more weight, [xx(] and complexity to the car, and was called E.S.P.
Kowalski
My Cars: Ex 05 C5 2.0 HDI Exclusive 145k
Ex 97 Xantia 1.9TD SX 144k
Ex 94 Xantia Dimension 1.9TD 199k

Post by Kowalski »

Would a speed limiter, limiting the car to 5mph until the doors were closed, fix the "problem" ?
bxbodger
My Cars:

Post by bxbodger »

Whats the point of having sliding doors if you can't drive with them open!!
Is the idea of having an interlock to prevent stupid people falling out? You can do that with normal doors!Or is it to prevent Peugeot being sued by drivers catching a case of Evening Standard delivery driver's hand?