BX GT Digit collected today - Now with 'Photos

This is the place for posts that don't fit into any other category.

Moderator: RichardW

BX-Basis
My Cars:

Post by BX-Basis »

Just saw the pictures of your "new" BX. It's quite nice. The rear spoiler is not original (the BX SPORT was the only MkI with the "wing"). Although the car is badged "BX19GT", the protectors in the bumpers and the small rear spoiler are missing, just like on a "real" DIGIT. I've attached photos of my wife's Ex-DIGIT that I installed these GT accesories on. Originally it looked like a "normal" 19 TRS. On one of the photos you can see the front bumper of a 8-piece body kit for BX MkI. I planned to install it on the DIGIT but we sold the car 2 years ago. Now I still have this unique brand new body kit...
fastandfurryous
My Cars:

Post by fastandfurryous »

As far as I can tell, as a UK spec car, it is exactly as it came from the factory.
The big spoiler on this car was fitted to UK spec BX 19 GT's, which this is, but with a Digit Dashboard. The UK never had the special edition BX DIGIT as you did on the continent. That said, the BX 19 GT with DIGIT dash was only offered during 1985, so probably co-incided with the continental BX DIGIT.
fastandfurryous
My Cars:

I like the look of that bodykit though. It looks in keeping with the MK1 lines, and not too outrageous. Is it for sale? That would be an easy fix for the broken front bumper, and the nasty fading on the rear one. Plus it would mean I can fix any corrosion on the sills, and hide any anti-rust paint under a kit.
alan s
RIP 2010
My Cars:

Post by alan s »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by fastandfurryous</i>

Adamski... are you sure they were digital dashboards? The lower spec MK1 BX came equipped with a rather bizzare dashboard anyway, which had a rotating drum with the speeds on it, and a fixed pointer in the middle of the display. It also had a linear rev-counter along the bottom of the dash unit. In the UK the DIGIT dash appears to only have been fitted to a select-few BX 19 GT's, wheras on the continent, they had a special edition "BX DIGIT" which although based on the 19GT, was a model in it's own right.
I think you're thinking of this:
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
I have a 16Trs sitting in my yard with exactly that interior including the same colour.
If I get a chance, I'll try to get some pics to give you guys a comparison between the insides of your cars and the insides of ours after our Summer Sun has had a go at them.
The ultimate Citroen I reckon would be one with a UK interior but an Aussie exterior which = no mad radiation damage inside and no salt outside.
Alan S[8D]
fastandfurryous
My Cars:

Which is worse though? I would much prefer to change a dashboard, or a set of seats than repair the horrendous corrosion problems we get from salt & general wet all year round.
BTW I nicked that picture from Ebay... so I have no idea who's car it is!
Maybe we should start exporting car interiors to aus, and you should export good bodyshells to us!
It often irritates me how good the condition of the interior of a car is when I break it up. So much so that I often keep too much of the interor, thinking that it'll be useful in the future, when it usually isn't. It means I end up doing silly things like this:
and yes, that's where I'm sat at the moment. Maybe this should have been posted in a new "this week's irrelevant post" topic!
10 points to anyone who can recognise what the seat came out of...
adamskibx
My Cars:

Post by adamskibx »

Umm that seat looks like a Montego seat! Probably isnt but it's definately got Austin-Rover traits about it. Am I right?
Paulmi16
My Cars:

Post by Paulmi16 »

It looks like a Vauxhall to seat to me.
Paul.
VisaGTi16v

Post by VisaGTi16v »

A friend of mine had all the seats out of my bx and set them up in his loft for his scalectrix, front seats for the racers, rear seats down the other end for people to watch. He even made up a fake centre console between the front ones with a car radio in via a 240-->12v converter, so cool :p
David W
My Cars:

Post by David W »

Odd that spoiler thing, must be just chance then that the few BX GTs I've seen in the UK have had the same lip flexy rubber spoiler as the GT did in Europe. I honestly thought your spoiler was from a GTi and a later addition.
Regarding the spheres/handling. Obviously you will soon see looking under the bonnet but I thought only the GTi/16v/TD models had true "sports" spheres. The very earliest petrol BXs (all engine sizes) did have a unique sphere with firmer springing but standard damping, perhaps you still have this early spec which would be less comfortable than a "standard" petrol sphere for a later car. Of course this only relates to the front as I think all the rears were the same unless on an estate.
David
fastandfurryous
My Cars:

It is of course entirely possible, infact quite likely, that the spheres on this car are past their best, quite a bit down on pressure, and giving a rather firm ride. They certainly aren't completely flat, but I'll bet they're at least 2-3 years old.
I've been looking on some brochures for the MK1 BX, and there are definitely some pictures of a 19GT with the big spoiler on it. Maybe it was a dealer option at the time? As with so many things, who knows what certain dealers offered on their stock of cars in order to shift them! I've had a good look at the mountings for the spoiler, and I would say that it's never been touched in the life of the car, and has most likely been on for all 20 years of the car's life.
The same can't be said of the engine though. It look suspiciously like it may have had a replacement at some point, or at the very least been removed at some time, as there are witness marks on some of the mountings with an alternative spot that the nut has been done up in.
One of the first things I need to fix to be able to get an MOT on it, and drive it a bit, is a couple of the PRN dashboard switches. Does anyone have any idea how the switch clusters come apart?? I have tried gently, but I don't want to break anything, as I doubt I'll find any replacements very easily!
David W
My Cars:

Post by David W »

I do have the full genuine two-part Citroen BX workshop manual that covers the early cars so will look out of interest to see if there is anything in it specific to your model.
David
fastandfurryous
My Cars:

That would be most appreciated. If you find anything about the wiring, or the operating logic for the Digit Dash, I would be eternally gratefull for a copy. (Cost of Postage and copying covered of course)
alan s
RIP 2010
My Cars:

Post by alan s »

If David can't come up with anything, can I suggest you drop Ron Veltkamp a try.
Ron has a site CITF and he and some of his mates in the Netherlands were at one stage trying to get together a collection of all the BXs so chances are if they are still into that, they may have something kicking around or be able to help.
Julian Marsh (Citroenet) may also have access to something via Citroen UK.
http://members.tripod.com/citf2/citf.html
http://www.citroenet.org.uk/
Gabor Deak Jahn may also be able to come up with something,
http://www.tramontana.co.hu/citroen/index.html
Each of these sites have a contact e-mail address and in all cases the European guys speak/write better English than most of us.[;)][:D]
Alan S
David W
My Cars:

Post by David W »

In my huge cupboard of car stuff just found two road tests (Autocar or similar) of the BX GT from around 1984... they both had rubber lip spoilers!! Also found a Citroen brochure with a full page on the GT but no rear image. Will also look at the workshop manual and get back to you here by 10pm tonight at latest.
If there is anything interesting you will be welcome to copies.
David
BX-Basis
My Cars:

Post by BX-Basis »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by fastandfurryous</i>

I like the look of that bodykit though. It looks in keeping with the MK1 lines, and not too outrageous. Is it for sale? That would be an easy fix for the broken front bumper, and the nasty fading on the rear one. Plus it would mean I can fix any corrosion on the sills, and hide any anti-rust paint under a kit.
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
Yes, the bodykit is for sale. It's a 8-piece-set as you can see on the pictures below. It has never been mounted on a car, it's brand new ! It should look a little bit like the bumper on my father's red MkI 19 RD Break (3rd picture). That was the "only front bumper" version of the same manufacturer.