Lane discipline

This is the place for posts that don't fit into any other category.

Moderator: RichardW

FrenchLeave
My Cars:

Lane discipline

Post by FrenchLeave »

This evening I was reading through my old clippings from motoring magazines (I saved anything I thought was interesting at the time) and found this from The Scribe (he wrote a weekly tongue-in-cheek page in The Autocar), dated 1957:
"The left of the road is for learners and those who are prone to take fright.
The right of the road is for Frenchmen and drunkards adrift in the night.
So Hey diddle diddle, I'll drive in the middle!"
Kowalski
My Cars: Ex 05 C5 2.0 HDI Exclusive 145k
Ex 97 Xantia 1.9TD SX 144k
Ex 94 Xantia Dimension 1.9TD 199k

Post by Kowalski »

I followed a lady in a Clio for about 5 miles along the dual carriageway this morning, she was doing 65 in the right hand lane with and empty left hand lane. It seems she needed to be in the right hand lane because she was going to turn right in 5 miles 5 roundabouts time...
ACTIVE8
My Cars:

Post by ACTIVE8 »

Yes, that type of driving is so annoying, the pulling out like that into the outer lane is very premature. It's as if they are planning ahead, and yet they will get to the roundabout, and come to a complete stop, sitting there to make sure it's clear. [xx(]
If they were able to actualy plan ahead properly, then they would approach the roundabout with the brain engaged look at the traffic, see it's clear and keep moving.
oilyspanner
My Cars:

Post by oilyspanner »

Some of em couldnt walk and chew gum simultaneously, was following one the other day, visibility approaching roundabout was perfect, nothing approaching anywhere, brakes to a stop then looks??? I nearly collected her with the van, do they teach them to drive like that nowadays[?]
Stewart
Its hell out there, never assume anything.
dillosk8ter
My Cars:

Post by dillosk8ter »

I hate people who 'push past overtake', by which I mean you drive along stuck behind tractor or similar and as soon as a chance to overtake appears about five cars from behind shoot past even if you are moving out and had your indicator on, what makes them so much more important?!?
oilyspanner
My Cars:

Post by oilyspanner »

Usually driving a certain german motor[:D]
Stewart
dillosk8ter
My Cars:

Post by dillosk8ter »

Yep either that german motor or reps in mondeo, vectra
FrenchLeave
My Cars:

Post by FrenchLeave »

Er, perhaps I should point out that when The Scribe wrote that little piece (1957), there were no motorways in this country and very few dual carriageways. He was referring to ordinary two lane roads.
Another one of his concerned the queues that form behind slow moving vehicles - I'm sure it wasn't aimed at you, Owen - possibly before your time. He considered the queues formed because the first guy (gal?) was slow to overtake. He said that he taught his kids to chant "It's number two who forms the queue, Yah, Boo to number two!"
Stuart McB
My Cars:

Post by Stuart McB »

Lets not forget that cars are now wider than ever before. Driving down the middle of the road is common place as the average car is SOOOOOOO wide that you must be atleast 4 foot from the kerb especially when there's on comming traffic. What ever you do don't flash your lights at then as they approach, just pull up on to the kerb (mind full of padestrians) and let them pass. F**king d**k heads. How the hell did some of them get a licence?
weety
My Cars:

Post by weety »

yes i enjoy the 'chelsea tractors' that wont even get their wheels dirty in the gutter
turbolag

Post by turbolag »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by oilyspanner</i>

Usually driving a certain german motor[:D]
Stewart
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">Oh. i didn't realise Paxo VTRs were Ger-herman!
Kowalski
My Cars: Ex 05 C5 2.0 HDI Exclusive 145k
Ex 97 Xantia 1.9TD SX 144k
Ex 94 Xantia Dimension 1.9TD 199k

Post by Kowalski »

The worst case of undertaking I ever saw was by a Xsara Picasso, it was trying to undertake a BMW 320, and went off over chevrons onto a slip road, back onto the dual carriageway and off onto the sliproad again. I'd seen the Picasso shoot past me, I'd have guessed he was travelling at over 90mph, he undertook two cars after overtaking me, and it seems the BMW driver took exception to that and was playing dangerous games at silly speeds. In any case, we all got into traffic and the games between the BMW and Xsara continued for another 5 miles, by then they must have been 100 meters or so in front of me, still at it with lots of brake lights and near misses. People like that have every right to kill themselves and take themselves out of circulation, but they had complete disregard for others around them and the people who would end up clearing up their mess.
weety
My Cars:

Post by weety »

there seems to be a habit developing (on the M25 at least) of drivers using the hard shoulder to undertake slow or stationary traffic in lanes 1-3....... not seen an accident yet but it gets exciting at slip roads for junctions
Homer
My Cars: Current:
Volvo V60 D4 180

Previous:
BX16RS (two of),
BX19TZI,
Xantia 2.0i saloon,
Xantia 2.0 Exclusive CT turbo Break,
Peugeot 807 2.0 HDi 110,
Renault Grand Scenic, 2.0 diesel (150bhp)
C5 X7 2.0 HDi 160 which put me off French cars possibly forever

Post by Homer »

That's OK, the safety cameras will get them.....
.......won't they?
ACTIVE8
My Cars:

Post by ACTIVE8 »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Homer</i>

That's OK, the safety cameras will get them.....
.......won't they?
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
Well you would expect them to get caught on camera, but it probably won't be on the so called "safety cameras" [:(!] if they are caught on camera, as the hard shoulder will not be covered like the lanes are. It will be one of type that's motorised on a pole giving an overall view of the area around it, so it will have to be pointing in the right direction at the right time to catch them, and most of the time it will not. [:(!]