Bl**dy DVLA again

This is the place for posts that don't fit into any other category.

Moderator: RichardW

martyhopkirk

Bl**dy DVLA again

Post by martyhopkirk »

Today I got 3 letters in the post
1) a V5c for Vera (registration document)
2) a letter saying that I could not declare SORN on the car as it was not registered in my name (applied for this when I bought the car)
3) a fine because I am the new registered keeper and I have not declared SORN
For overseas listeners SORN is this governments way of ensuring a car continues to be registered to a keeper and hopfully avoids cars being used on the road without paying road fund license (tax). In reality its a bl**dy stealth tax.
Kowalski
My Cars: Ex 05 C5 2.0 HDI Exclusive 145k
Ex 97 Xantia 1.9TD SX 144k
Ex 94 Xantia Dimension 1.9TD 199k

Post by Kowalski »

You can't SORN the car because its not registered in your name.
So you get it registered in your name and INSTANTLY (go straight to jail, do not pass go, do not collect £200) you're liable for not declaring it off the road. I'm sure the nice people at the DVLA will sort this out fairly quickly and efficiently.
Don't worry, we'll all come to visit you in prison...
Jon

Post by Jon »

The way around this, to prevent it happening again is as follows. You get your new car and (hopefully) the VRD that you and the previous owner have signed. You then go to your friendly local main post office and complete the form for declaring SORN. Take this to the counter, and they scan the barcode on the VRD, and instantly notify DVLA of SORN, then they take the VRD from you to forward to DVLA. Worked for me!
martyhopkirk

Post by martyhopkirk »

I just got the green tear off slip on the VRD - so declared SORN by filling in a form (V890) and sending it off.
Letter to the DVLA with copy of original SORN request (date stamped) and also email confirming SORN to my email address from DVLA (as I also applied on line - belt and braces). Hope they will sort out soon!
Homer
My Cars: Current:
Volvo V60 D4 180

Previous:
BX16RS (two of),
BX19TZI,
Xantia 2.0i saloon,
Xantia 2.0 Exclusive CT turbo Break,
Peugeot 807 2.0 HDi 110,
Renault Grand Scenic, 2.0 diesel (150bhp)
C5 X7 2.0 HDi 160 which put me off French cars possibly forever

Post by Homer »

No, the correct procedure is to fill the whole lot in a fictitious name and address and forget about tax, insurance, parking tickets, congestion charge, speeding fines.
If you are caught you'll get a fine of a few hundred quid and lose the car - still a tidy profit.
vanny
My Cars:

Post by vanny »

hmmm, guess i got clever then!
When i got my BX i sent of the V5, then about 5 days later i sent off the SORN request. Got the SORN request back in my name and details then a week later the new V5 arrived! About 6 months after that a V5c arrived and everything was nice and legal!
Richard Gallagher
My Cars:

Post by Richard Gallagher »

Marty, give the SORN office at Glasgow a ring. I had similar problems with SORN a couple of months ago, but in fairness to the couple of women I spoke to they were quite understanding and helpful.
Best of all they resolved the error made by Swansea and sent me written conformation that the case had been NFA'd.
Mosser
My Cars:

Post by Mosser »

If you want to declare sorn the easy way whether your the legal owner or not, you just do it all online, no forms needed, nothing to sign and you get a letter in the post confirming the sorn declaration
martyhopkirk

Post by martyhopkirk »

Cant find the web page though - tried gong through DVLA site on line and still cant find it.
alexp-j
My Cars:

Post by alexp-j »

The tear off strip on the V5 can be used as a valid V5 by the new owner until the new one arrives up to a maximum of 2 months.