Loves Driving......

This is the place for posts that don't fit into any other category.

Moderator: RichardW

oilyspanner
My Cars:

Post by oilyspanner »

I have towed an old (read heavy) fourteen foot caravan with my old MK1 BXRD the suspension worked beautifully as did the brakes but the thing was embarrasingly slow, plenty of torque for hill climbing so no fear of failure on that count.
I want new number plates but am scared of saying hates garages[8D]
Stewart
PS Jon how do you get the outer rim of these wheels clean and shiny? mine appear to have failed lacquer and dog urine corrosion, should I nitromors that bit then get the polish out?
Jon

Post by Jon »

Stewart, my wheels were in such a bad way that I ended up sanding down the outer edges of the rims to remove all the corrosion. I then very carefully painted them using silver Smoothrite applied with an artists brush. Unless you look very closely, they look good.
Dave Bamber
My Cars:

Post by Dave Bamber »

I have the same problem with my alloys, the centes are good but the outer rims are corroded. I need to get the paint out too.
jeremy
My Cars:

Post by jeremy »

Probably best to use an etch primer for adhesion. When I was building horse trailers (alloy pannelling) the paint suppliers would say that synthetic primer was nearly as good and for various reasons we used it a few times without problems but normally etched.
Not sure but hammerite and Smoothrite may be synthetic - thinners seems similar if my nose is accurate.
Machine Mart now do a range of hammer and smooth finishes that may be considerably cheaper.
jeremy
p20

Post by p20 »

This is the clip that marty refers to. Funny as hell.[:o)][:o)]
http://www.autocarmagazine.com/popups/v ... ?AR=210863
Richard Gallagher
My Cars:

Post by Richard Gallagher »

Now that is a giggle [:D][:D][:D][:D]
ACTIVE8
My Cars:

Post by ACTIVE8 »

Yes, that's an interesting clip. [:D]
The Renault 5, and caravan managed to stay straight for a while [:)] as it went backwards out of control down the hill before, it crashed into the earth bank.
oilyspanner
My Cars:

Post by oilyspanner »

Thats a mighty big van to put behind a little motor like that. Excellent clip though
Stewart