Loves Driving......

This is the place for posts that don't fit into any other category.

Moderator: RichardW

Jon

Loves Driving......

Post by Jon »

Loves towing in Saxo on trailer!
Image a bit poor, used camera phone.
[img]/images/towsaxo.jpg[/img]
martyhopkirk

Post by martyhopkirk »

Dongle working Ok then Jon? [;)]
Is the Saxo your next project? Perhaps a nice 1500 diesel conversion ( I happen to know where there is one which wont be missed!)
Did it tow it OK? Thinking about using Vera to tow the caravan once its ticketed.
Jon

Post by Jon »

Yeah, its a winner, thanks for the tip.
Not its not my Saxo, I just happened to arrive at a friends garage just as they were about to go and recover it, but the normal towing vehicle was out on another job, so we took my BX to give it something to do! BX pulled it fine.
Dave Bamber
My Cars:

Post by Dave Bamber »

That was 48 hours after the Mad BX Weekend Mk1 was it not, what faith you had in our efforts Mr W[;)]
Jon

Post by Jon »

As ever, complete faith! I passed the MOT, went and taxed it, then went direct on 180 mile round road test, including dragging in the Saxo that same day. I just wanted to make sure it was all OK!! The only check that I made when I arrived was to look at the tracking, bearing in mind that we had swapped over the rack. It was spot on, which must say alot about the tolerances that the BX's were built to :-))
Today I actually made the same journey (its actually 178 miles), left with fuel gauge on full, returned with fuel gauge on full. Collected some bits for Marty's project.
DoubleChevron
My Cars:

Post by DoubleChevron »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Jon</i>

Loves towing in Saxo on trailer!
Image a bit poor, used camera phone.
[img]/images/towsaxo.jpg[/img]
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
Good grief, did the poor BX break ????? [:p]
I wouldn't dream of putting a car trailer behind mine. There's 850kgs before I even put a car on the trailer.[:0]
It would be interesting to see how a BX would tow a caravan. No doubt it would have the power (my xantia slugomatic manages to pull a caravan), I wonder if the caravan would sway terribly move the BX around due to it's light weight.
seeya,
Shane L.
DoubleChevron
My Cars:

Post by DoubleChevron »

woops, just noticed..... I can see why it pulled the Saxo well. That trailer is tiny, a Saxo fills it ... The only car trailers I can hire fit a Citroen DS with ease... Talk about overkill.
seeya,
Shane L.
VisaGTi16v

Post by VisaGTi16v »

Going back 15 years or so. My family used to go from the coast in East Sussex to Fort William in Scotland, mum and dad, myself and my sister who would sleep in the back of the car with the seats down. We would tow a 12 foot caravan, small boat on the roof, outboard motor in the car as well. All in a Visa 17RD :D !! and yes it was slow lol
ACTIVE8
My Cars:

Post by ACTIVE8 »

So, VisaGTi16v I assume, it must have taken a while to get there. [:)]
Kowalski
My Cars: Ex 05 C5 2.0 HDI Exclusive 145k
Ex 97 Xantia 1.9TD SX 144k
Ex 94 Xantia Dimension 1.9TD 199k

Post by Kowalski »

Does this explain where your love of the Visa comes from?
Or perhaps that car was so slow you've been driven to driving a Visa Gti, a sort of one man quest to make a Visa go as fast as is possible....
martyhopkirk

Post by martyhopkirk »

Whats worrying about the post Visa mate is the size / weight ratio of the Visa and Caravan - I have an amusing piece of video footage of a Renault 5 towing a twin axle caravan up a hill - in a cloud of smoke... Followed by said same car being towed back down the hill by the caravan in an even bigger cloud of smoke.
In towing size matters. Only a fool would tow 100% of his car weight unless he was experienced - and to tow more than 100% is madness - Mind you Shane, the Xantia did do well lugging the BX and trailer back.... Worked out it was pulling about 1700 kgs (500 more than it should do). Yes I am mad and possibly a fool too, still I have 15 or so years towing experience under my belt.
Would I do it without the benefit of Hydro suspension? - Not a hope in Eastbourne.
VisaGTi16v

Post by VisaGTi16v »

heh ive seen that video! Caravans are quite light and the boat was fibreglass but it was probably around the Visa's max limit and it did take a long time yes! That visa certainly got around. Heres a highly embarrasing photo from when we drove it to Spain one year, rented tent that time. Infact its only on my pc at home. Anyway, my parents sold that one to my Grandad and got a nice yellow mini mayfair but 2 weeks before passing my test my parents bought the Visa back and thats when it started. I got a 17RD as my first car http://www.visagti.com/pics/temp/IMG0034.JPG and then via a mondeo(heh) got my first gti and since then yes, been trying to make them quicker and doing ok at the moment! :)
Eastbourne ay? Im over in Bexhill, I wonder who has the higher percentage of old people heh
Jon

Post by Jon »

Thats not the heaviest thing I've ever towed with a BX. When current they were regarded as a very capable towcar indeed, and a BX TD won the Caravan Club Towcar of the year award I believe.
[img]/images/bxloves.jpg[/img]
VisaGTi16v

Post by VisaGTi16v »

When I picked up my current Visa from london the only option I had was to borrow a trailer from a builder, massive heavy thing. My dads poor focus estate TD wouldnt go over 60 on the way up and we kept nearly aborting. Coming back though with the 900kg visa on board (spares as well) it pulled the same as on the way up???
martyhopkirk

Post by martyhopkirk »

Nice plates Jon. [:)]
Come on Mr B - time to play catch up.