Worldwide fuel costs.

This is the place for posts that don't fit into any other category.

Moderator: RichardW

turbolag

Post by turbolag »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by James.UK</i>

Local shops still sell veg oil for 42p a Litre. [8)].......... I'm totaly off topic of course, [;)] just thought it worth a mention.. [:D]
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">I know what you mean...I used to get it used for free from my mates bar, or even get him to buy it new at the cash & carry for 20p a litre. It's carbon neutral too...
Alas, the new HDi needs a 2 tank set up but with fuel prices like this I might go for it again soon.
ScottFromNZ
My Cars:

Post by ScottFromNZ »

Well, in little 'ol NZ petrol and diesel has increased alot too recently, partly due to 5c per litre more tax on petrol to pay for roading improvements. Price for petrol now $1.30 ish for 91 octane and $1.40 ish for 96 octane. Diesel has gone from about 68c per litre a year ago to about 88c now. BUT in NZ you pay a tax per kilometre on top for diesel cars. For 1000 km's it has just gone from $24.40 to $31. So if I drive 1000 km's in the BX I use about $45 of diesel PLUS $31 road tax. Some people disconnect the speedo but HUGE fines if you are caught. Road tax is on a sliding scale based on vehicle weight - trucks and buses pay heaps. They have tamper proof hubodometers to record km's travelled.
The idea behind it is a historic thing where off-road vehicles avoid having to pay road tax which they would if it was included in the price of the fuel (like it is with petrol)
Forth
My Cars:

Post by Forth »

I'm waiting for canvassers in the coming election. Any from the Greens or NuLab will be lucky to escape in one piece... mind you the rest are **** as well, just not quite as much so.
Homer
My Cars: Current:
Volvo V60 D4 180

Previous:
BX16RS (two of),
BX19TZI,
Xantia 2.0i saloon,
Xantia 2.0 Exclusive CT turbo Break,
Peugeot 807 2.0 HDi 110,
Renault Grand Scenic, 2.0 diesel (150bhp)
C5 X7 2.0 HDi 160 which put me off French cars possibly forever

Post by Homer »

Americans on a couple of other forums I visit were moaning that "gas" had gone over two dollars a Gallon.
Even though the US gallon is smaller than a UK gallon I worked out our prices were the equivalent of (US) $5.70, and it's gone up since then!
alan s
RIP 2010
My Cars:

Post by alan s »

Over here the prices vary from State to State.
In Queensland we are supposedly the cheapest due to being subsidised because of the large distances we need to travel. As an example, I recently went to the State Capital as I had a family member catching a Plane and then carried on to see friends where I used to live. In the day I covered about 900klms and in the past I have covered as much as 1500 klms in the one day as a result fuel can be used in big lumps.
Unleaded in Brisbane is about A$1.05 with Premium making up to $1.20 as is diesel.
Down south, the figures would be about 8 - 10 cents/l more with outlying areas being up to 25/20 cents/L more again.
Wages, particularly in regional areas are poor with $450 - $500 gross not uncommon.
I was talking to a guy recently who is a pretty keen student on Politics and Governments and according to him, we've all been living in an unrealistcally low interest environment for several years and with economies all over the world getting overheated, the old fix used to be to jack up interest rates but these days that's political suicide.
The Yanks control World Oil prices based on the fact that all oil is priced with "West Texas Crude" being the yardstick to which OPEC work, is being used these days as a tool to increase living costs/reduce spending ability without doing it openly by increasing interest rates on loans and mortgages to cool down the consumer spending spree.
Current price increses have added several $$$s to the average budget having the same effect. As a fringe benefi, Governments rake off more revenue in taxes which also flow on therough everything due to its inflationary effect on all consumer goods increasing their taxable values. When everyone starts to scream, they then blame those "Arab oil shieks" who they've spent years telling us are capable of doing anything to make our lives a misery and as a bonus, Garge Dubblya and his merry men finds his oil shares on the rise again.
It must be common knowledge in the halls of power and business for some time when you see Citroen pulling the plug on WRC, GM downplaying it's potential profits, Ford doing the same, and what's left of Leyland closing the doors all at a time of record sales.
Coincidntally, our PM is facing an inquiry into lying about interest rates, Garge doesn't understand what they're talking about and President Tony is looking t an election in the next few weeks....what a coincidence.
Alan S
[}:)][;)]
FrenchLeave
My Cars:

Post by FrenchLeave »

For those unfamiliar with it, HHO is household heating oil. This is a refined version of diesel fuel, but there are unfortunately two reasons you can't use it in your car. Firstly it is illegal and would upset Gordon Brown (for non-Brits - he's our Chancellor of the Exchequer). Secondly, it is so refined that it no longer has the lubricating properties of diesel and consequently does the pump no favours. You could always add a cupful of used engine oil to each fill up but you wouldn't do that, would you?
grattsim

Post by grattsim »

Would a few litres of normal cooking veg oil mixed with normal diesel work ok? Do you have to be careful of which oil grade you use.
DoubleChevron
My Cars:

Post by DoubleChevron »

Well Guys,
I filled the old CX up yesterday. It cost me over $70aud ....... And it's bloody petrol light wasn't even on !!!
seeya
Shane L.