I'm back with dial up

This is the place for posts that don't fit into any other category.

Moderator: RichardW

bernie
My Cars:

I'm back with dial up

Post by bernie »

I packed in my Pipex ADSL 500 and am going to BT 2mb ADSL but until it's enabled next Thursday I'm back on 28/33 kb dial up.
Christ it's slow[}:)][}:)][}:)]
Jon

Post by Jon »

what...................... was.......... that............................?
Dave Bamber
My Cars:

Post by Dave Bamber »

I'm trying out something called Onspeed BT sent me an email about earlier today. Dunno how it does it, but it sure has speeded up my dial up. It's free for 14 days then £25 a year.
DarkendViper

Post by DarkendViper »

I'm on BT 2Mb and it's gone downhill since they regraded everyone. During the day it doesn't go any faster than 1mb at best. Apparently this is due to the contentation.
Ste
citroenzx
My Cars:

Post by citroenzx »

onspeed compresses eveything that comes onto your computer, for example it wont download every pixel of a picture so things might appear a bit mor pixelated. also darkendviper you connection speed will be slower now more people are using it, you do not have a private 2mb link to your house (would be very expensive), it's contended by everyone on that exchange.
bernie
My Cars:

Post by bernie »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Jon</i>

what...................... was.......... that............................?
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
Ha.................................................
.......................Ha..........................
.................................................Ha
[:o)]
DarkendViper

Post by DarkendViper »

I know it's contended, but I use to be on their 1Mb service and it was extremely fast. When I went to 2Mb the service dropped off. I've never had it disconnect though. It's just the speed. I would have rather stayed at 1Mb until BT upgrade the exchange to cope with the higher demand.
I can regurarly download at 78-90Kbp/s from any site which is no where near as good as my mate on Wanadoo. He gets 140ish Kbp/s constant. BT didn't expect the usage to go up much neither, it did do. I also don't like the download cap they have put on. I would get out of the service but have got that many people that know my email address it's unbelievable. If I change I was told that would loose it, so have stuck.
Ste
citroenzx
My Cars:

Post by citroenzx »

Good old BT, hopefully your 2mb link should pick up as the technology BT have put in is relitivly new and is still being updated.
DervDonkey
My Cars:

Post by DervDonkey »

BT Yahoo are not my favourite people at the moment. I currently have a thread on the ADSLguide forums detailing that little problem which concerns a broadband upgrade and the complete death of all my subscription internet access. Good thing I maintain a backup dial-up account with another ISP or I'd be screwed.
Bernie, I think you're making a big mistake switching from Pipex to BT. Pipex are supposed to have one of the best networks in the industry, according to my information. BT rate about average, and from my direct experience their customer "service" stinks.
Regarding OnSpeed, I have used this for a while now and it's brilliant, especially on graphics-heavy web sites. Yes it degrades images, but the amount of degradation/speed improvement is user selectable "on the fly" so if you want to see a picure properly you just select Settings->Image Quality: Original from the system tray popup menu and hit the reload button. If you can't get broadband, get this. If you've got a BT Yahoo Anytime account, it comes as part of the package even if they don't actually tell you about it or anything...
Kowalski
My Cars: Ex 05 C5 2.0 HDI Exclusive 145k
Ex 97 Xantia 1.9TD SX 144k
Ex 94 Xantia Dimension 1.9TD 199k

Post by Kowalski »

If you think BT is bad try Tiscali they're worse.
Plenty of bandwidth but the latency is terrible and makes it impossible to play any Call of Duty online from mid afternoon to midnight and over the weekend. My brother tells me the pings are fast during the hours when I'm asleep or at work...
James.UK
My Cars:

Post by James.UK »

I'm with AOL9 via a BT "Voyager 100" modem, (running winxp pro). It downloads at about, 45-50kpb/s whatever that is, but I cant fault them for reliability, and it suits me fine, I dont do much downloading thou. Just the odd few thousand 'essential' patches from microsoft every week.. [:I] [:o)] lol
bernie
My Cars:

Post by bernie »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by DervDonkey</i>

Bernie, I think you're making a big mistake switching from Pipex to BT. Pipex are supposed to have one of the best networks in the industry, according to my information. BT rate about average, and from my direct experience their customer "service" stinks.
Staff discount £16 for 2mb [:)]
Kowalski
My Cars: Ex 05 C5 2.0 HDI Exclusive 145k
Ex 97 Xantia 1.9TD SX 144k
Ex 94 Xantia Dimension 1.9TD 199k

Post by Kowalski »

Is that 2mb unlimited?
And whats the installation cost?
And how I do I sign up....
bernie
My Cars:

Post by bernie »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Kowalski</i>

Is that 2mb unlimited?
And whats the installation cost?
And how I do I sign up....
15gb limit
nil zero + free modem
through bt
DervDonkey
My Cars:

Post by DervDonkey »

And if you're an ordinary sucker - beg pardon, customer - it'll cost you about a tenner a month more.
I'm just waiting to see how much free broadband time I can get out of 'em in compensation for their co(k up - which is still dragging on after a week - before I decide whether to abandon ship after 7+ years. Oddly enough, Pipex appeals, similar price/speed and no cap...